Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed about neighbour attaching Christmas decorations to our house?

(21 Posts)
seastargirl Mon 01-Dec-14 16:46:14

Hi,

Our neighbour has today put some of the air filled giant decorations on his garage roof. He has secured them by looping some rope through a wire that is attached to our wall (connecting the sky dish into the house I think). He's not knocked on to ask if it's ok and we were in when he was doing it.

Am I being unreasonable or extremely unfestive to ask them to move it?

FunkyBoldRibena Mon 01-Dec-14 16:47:35

I wouldn't ask, I'd just take it off.

maz210 Mon 01-Dec-14 16:49:03

Is your television still working?

You're not being unreasonable to be narked about it, I would be too. I'm not sure I'd ask him to move it if it hasn't caused any damage though, I tend to err on the side of caution with neighbours. I don't want to risk an argument over something minor in case it spoils my otherwise good relationship with them, if you know what I mean.

atticusclaw Mon 01-Dec-14 16:49:24

I'd take him off and pop a note through the door just letting him know you've taken it off because it could pull the sky connection loose.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 01-Dec-14 16:49:56

Just snip it. If the wind catches it it could rip your wire out and since he didn't bother to ask you he can hardly complain to your face.

atticusclaw Mon 01-Dec-14 16:50:00

Take it off

usualsuspect333 Mon 01-Dec-14 16:52:30

I'd ask him to take it off, it could pull your wire out.

seastargirl Mon 01-Dec-14 16:54:12

We'd have to get the ladders out to take it off and go on their drive to do it, so will have to speak to them about it.

They had something up last year that got wrecked as they left it up in when it was really windy. So although it's not done anything yet, I'm concerned that it might and quite frankly if we lose cbeebies I'll be panic stricken!

Think I'll send the husband round!

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 01-Dec-14 17:39:24

Tell them that your signal's gone funny and would he mind removing it now? It's dark now...but in the morning you'd like it removed.

FunkyBoldRibena Mon 01-Dec-14 17:47:45

We'd have to get the ladders out to take it off and go on their drive to do it, so will have to speak to them about it.

They don't speak to you about attaching it to your house, but you have to speak to them about going on their drive to remove it?

NomorepepperpigPLEASE Mon 01-Dec-14 17:49:42

shock take it off before it drags the whole lot down. Cheeky sod!

LaurieFairyCake Mon 01-Dec-14 17:52:40

Definitely talk to him

Christmas isn't a time for arseholiness

waithorse Mon 01-Dec-14 17:52:42

This would wind me right up. Take it down. angry

AdamLambsbreath Mon 01-Dec-14 17:59:38

Yeah, it's not on.

I'd ask him to move it.

If he's dead keen and will do this every year - and you want to maintain good relations and avoid having the same conversations next December - there's no reason he couldn't drill a little hole in the wall and put in a steel eye fixing, which will be secure, won't damage your wall (if done neatly!) and will make life easy for the future.

SistersOfPercy Mon 01-Dec-14 18:08:17

Full agreement. Ask them to remove.

I wouldn't be letting them drill any holes either. If anything goes wrong or damp gets in he's unlikely to be paying up.

seastargirl Mon 01-Dec-14 18:14:14

Been round and spoke to his wife. She rolled her eyes, said he's an idiot and said she'll get him to sort it. Problem solved and don't think any damage done!

AdamLambsbreath Mon 01-Dec-14 18:15:53

I'm in the building trade, and a hole a couple of cm deep into brick for a fixing really shouldn't cause structural or damp issues (unless he's a moron and manages to drill through the flat roof of the garage or something ludicrous).

But yeah, there's a small 'stupidity risk factor'. It's just a suggestion if it looks like this is going to be a perennial problem.

My personal opinion is that he shouldn't be putting up massive inflatable Xmas decorations at all, as they're bloody hideous grin He's unlikely to agree . . .

AdamLambsbreath Mon 01-Dec-14 18:16:26

Ooops, X-post. Result! smile

KnackeredMuchly Mon 01-Dec-14 19:08:29

I would probably offer to let him attach a new hook to the wall, but you don't need to

waithorse Mon 01-Dec-14 19:24:52

I like the sound of his wife. sad

BlueBrightBlue Mon 01-Dec-14 21:58:41

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Wish I could get into the Christmas spirit sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now