Talk

Advanced search

To want a FULL week off work?

(17 Posts)
pollypocketdreamworld Mon 01-Dec-14 15:06:45

I work for a large, national business so have name-changed for this.
We have to put our annual leave requests in a year in advance. I requested two weeks in June (for a holiday), and two separate single weeks, one over Easter and one in the summer holidays, as I have a school-age dc and I work full-time so use leave in the hols to look after them.
My work have allowed me to have the two weeks in June, but the other single weeks I've been denied the Friday of both weeks (our busiest and most under-staffed day). So have Mon-Thurs off and have to go in for one day then have the weekend.
AIBU to be pissed off at this and want to complain to work? I am v.grateful I have the two weeks in June, but a week off at other times is much-needed and just isn't the same having to go in for one silly day, I can't chill thinking oooh lovely I have a whole week off, and I can't spend the full week with my dc and need to find someone to have my dc for just one day.
Should I be grateful for what I've got or should I mention it to work and risk being seen as a pain in the arse? I know people have it so much worse in other jobs.

Littlef00t Mon 01-Dec-14 15:19:51

I'd push it. It is a massive inconvenience as stops you going away and having the weekend either side as part of it. Often flights are sat to sat.

Is this common practice?

TheListingAttic Mon 01-Dec-14 15:23:04

If they have fair reasons for denying you their busiest, most understaffed day off - and provided their policy for approving/denying requests are made clear and have been followed - I don't see what you have to complain about? It's annoying as hell, and I'd be moaning to anyone who'd listen about what a pain in the arse it is if I were in your position - but I can't see that they've acted unfairly.

Can't see the benefit of pursuing it further to be honest. Don't think you need to feel grateful though! Have a good harrumph on here.

cavkc Mon 01-Dec-14 15:23:11

No that's not on

You should push for the full week, explaining that you might want to go away and by them not allowing you the Fridays they are stopping you doing that

Purplepoodle Mon 01-Dec-14 15:27:31

Has anyone else been given the Friday off?

spidey66 Mon 01-Dec-14 16:11:55

I think they are being unfair. It interferes badly with any holiday plans (which, surely, is the point of Annual Leave.) I own a holiday let in Cornwall, and can only offer week long lets, and would only be able to offer you the property if you paid the full week (long story but basically it's not financially viable on my part as I still have to pay the same amount for housekeeping services). I'm sure I'm not the only service offering holidays that can only offer week-by-week bookings.

spidey66 Mon 01-Dec-14 16:12:22

Oh meant to say, can you bring it up with a trade union/HR?

NoSundayWorkingPlease Mon 01-Dec-14 16:22:45

It's annoying but yabu.

The alternative is probably no leave at all in the summer or Easter holidays - rather than being out of order and denying you the Friday, I think it's more likely someone has done you a favour and pushed Mon-Thurs through for you so at least you have some days off in school holidays.

By all means complain - but be prepared for your school holiday requests next year to be declined, and to be presented with a choice of the 39 weeks of the year that don't clash with school holidays to take as leave.

pollypocketdreamworld Mon 01-Dec-14 18:22:55

Think I will stick to just having a good old whinge to everyone and maybe just query it to make sure I'm not the only one who this has happened to!

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Mon 01-Dec-14 18:38:25

They cannot arrange Friday cover with ONE YEAR of notice?

Really - sounds more like they are asserting control or something. ONE YEAR...

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 01-Dec-14 18:40:37

What is so special about those specific fridays? As you have the fortnight guaranteed, and am assuming others are permitted whole weeks, are those specific fridays anything special?

Bulbasaur Mon 01-Dec-14 18:44:14

A year in advance and they can't give you a day? I call bullshit.

Making you come in a day after a holiday, right before the weekend is just stupid. I'd complain and tell them this is unacceptable. Can you tell them you just physically won't be there? You already bought the tickets?

Though, as PP's have said, if you make a big deal about it they could be passive aggressive about your vacation next year.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around you needing a year in advance for time off. The most I've ever had to give was a few months and that was only for Christmas days so they could coordinate deadlines, work schedules, and what teams should prioritize then.

CruCru Mon 01-Dec-14 18:51:41

I have heard for some companies (BT etc) making people book holiday a year in advance because their staff were nearly all women with school age children. Booking a year in advance stopped childless people moaning because people with children were prioritised before.

CruCru Mon 01-Dec-14 18:52:06

However, yeah not giving you the Friday is weird and silly.

Boomtownsurprise Mon 01-Dec-14 18:57:56

Sorry you ask a year in advance?! Bloody Nora even brain surgeons don't give that! What do you do?!

I'm guessing retail...? Anyway, I don't see why you can't ask the question. They can then say because of x y z. If your entitled to ask for 20 days leave it seems unreasonable that that cannot be 2 two week foreign vacations.

As long as your friendly there's no issue. Not oi fuckwit whatcha playin' at? Just excuse me please could you explain this because we are booking tickets....

Good luck

ForalltheSaints Mon 01-Dec-14 19:07:55

Would they agree to the Fridays before the ones they have refused? At least it's a full week then.

ladeedad Mon 01-Dec-14 19:20:46

YABU. I would love any time off in June. I have to take my annual leave in the school holidays and then I only get five weeks, and then I'm on call. You don't know you're born!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now