Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about this present for my Dad's girlfriend?

(44 Posts)
CyberCindy Mon 01-Dec-14 07:38:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpacaMyBags Mon 01-Dec-14 07:39:56

MelanieCheeks Mon 01-Dec-14 07:41:23

What are the chocolates? Do they come in a smaller box?

DixieNormas Mon 01-Dec-14 07:41:23

Dont buy the chocolates, if he moans tell him to sod off!

iwasabrooker Mon 01-Dec-14 07:41:58

YANBU.
Also your Dad gave you a list. shock

Thisishowyoudisappear Mon 01-Dec-14 07:44:07

YANBU.

UmizoomiThis Mon 01-Dec-14 07:47:12

Generous people don't expect gifts back, never mind dictate and shove gift lists in your hands. I'd give him a list back with presents you'd like from her. Since she wants to start exchanging gifts and all with you this year.

Next year, take your cue from your Dad - buy him something for the house and put his AND her name on the card. Sorted.

BeckAndCall Mon 01-Dec-14 07:47:14

You spent £80 on your dad !! and you have children of your own to think of!!

The way you put across your dads demands, this is the very worst of Christmas spirit to me......

JamTarte Mon 01-Dec-14 07:54:48

YANBU. Flaming cheek!

SurfsUp1 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:56:18

How do you know that all the gifts that were signed from DF and the GF were actually only from your DF?
I would never expect a couple to give gifts separately even if I might give them a gift separately.

SurfsUp1 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:57:26

He is being rude re demanding gifts for her though.
Did he think you skimped on her in the past?

lem73 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:59:08

YANBU. Christmas is for kids. That's where you should be spending your money. I find your dad quite rude in his attitude. He should understand you have a family and you're on a limited budget. Let him buy the bloody chocolates.

FunkyBoldRibena Mon 01-Dec-14 08:02:10

Last night he called me up to tell me her favourite chocolates and that as a nice little gesture

Well, say you will get her what you think appropriate. If he wants her to have her favourite chocolates, then he is free to go and get them.

mamapants Mon 01-Dec-14 08:03:20

Your op makes it sound as though you don't normally buy her a present at all?
Maybe he doesn't feel you've been very welcoming.

Purplepoodle Mon 01-Dec-14 08:04:30

Just tell him u don't have any money left and your not even getting dh

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 01-Dec-14 08:05:54

I can't believe your dad provides lists and demands about what to buy for him and his GF. Once people get over the age of 18 they should not be providing lists of expected presents.
Do not buy the chocolates.

LegoSuperstar Mon 01-Dec-14 08:08:07

atticusclaw Mon 01-Dec-14 08:09:58

I really really don't understand adults who expect presents. Christmas is not about adults. Don't get the chocolates, you have already bought a gift.

However, having said that, if you were previously buying your DH a present but not his GF with whom he has been for the past 15 years that is BU and mean, particularly if they were buying your DC's joint presents.

SurfsUp1 Mon 01-Dec-14 08:15:25

remind them that Christmas is not about acquisition of stuff.

I agree with Atticusclaw in that we need some clarification over whether this is just the DF being grabby or if he is just sick of his GF being ignored?
It's hard to tell from the op.

Monathevampire1 Mon 01-Dec-14 08:15:48

OP just be honest and say you've already bought a gift and can't afford anything else. I do think presents for adults is a bit silly, Christmas is for kids.

Hakluyt Mon 01-Dec-14 08:28:29

Your father gave you a list????????shock

BeckAndCall Mon 01-Dec-14 08:34:35

Im with Lego on the goat

Allalonenow Mon 01-Dec-14 08:44:18

Don't buy the chocolates.
Next year buy a small Oxfam type gift for their joint names.

I can't believe an adult gives his daughter his Christmas list! Does he still believe in Santa?

skylark2 Mon 01-Dec-14 08:49:25

"What is your DGF buying for my kids? Would she like a list? Only I don't want to embarrass her if she's not buying them anything, and she doesn't usually. She just puts her name on your presents. I know you don't do that for her side of the family."

Sometimes passive aggressive is the best answer.

Mrsgrumble Mon 01-Dec-14 08:51:43

Charity goat is your answer next year. That's all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now