Talk

Advanced search

To not want to give dd my iPhone

(17 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Sun 30-Nov-14 23:42:04

Dd is 13 & in year 8. She gues to school quite a distance from home & has regular sleepovers in the boarding house so a phone is really useful

She had a Samsung Galaxy Y. Our plan was to upgrade her at Christmas & give ds her old phone.

However she has lost it last weekend.

I've had my iPhone 4S odeon work for a few years now. The screen cracked. My boss noticed it & said there was money in the contract kitty for me to have a new phone, he was thinking of upgrading me anyway especially as my battery doesn't hold charge well.

He says I can keep my old phone, get a new battery for about £20 & the screen repaired & give it to dd for Christmas.

Very generous. But a huge part if me thinks that kids dds age shouldn't have iPhones, she's just lost her phone & it wouldn't be fair on ds (he is 10 almost 11.

Ds does have an iPod & only really needs a phone to contact someone if I nip out to the supermarket for half an hour or if he walks up to the local shop.

AIBU to say no to this?

Bonsoir Sun 30-Nov-14 23:45:09

Is she sensible?

FelixTitling Sun 30-Nov-14 23:47:54

Yabu. I agree that 13 yr olds shouldn't have brand new iPhones because of the cost. But this is a secondhand reconditioned phone that will only cost you £20 ish. Plus she needs it.

Your ds can have a cheap phone at the same age you got dd her first phone or when he starts needing one.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 30-Nov-14 23:48:21

Yes & No

She's a dippy aspergers girl with her head in the clouds. Very intelligent & mature intellectually but young for her age socially.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 30-Nov-14 23:50:50

Dd had her first phone when she was 9/10 as she was in a professional run of panto.

Ds didn't go anywhere alone at that age but is starting to now.

VanitasVanitatum Sun 30-Nov-14 23:55:40

If she's intelligent and mature then surely you can trust her to use it safely and properly?

IF she was ten or eleven I'd agree too young but at thirteen I think a smartphone is fine as long as they're responsible and Internet access is controlled.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 30-Nov-14 23:57:38

Her Samsung was a Smartphone albeit a very basic one.

She has a bad track record of losing stuff. Being disorganised is one of her aspie traits.

FelixTitling Sun 30-Nov-14 23:58:48

What's your alternative option? Can she manage without a phone?

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 01-Dec-14 00:02:17

It makes life very awkward for us at the moment for her not to have a phone.

Dh has just been in a car accident so can't drive her to & from school so we are reliant on her going to friends/grandparents picking her up etc etc.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 01-Dec-14 00:05:46

Pictures, the screen plus battery will cost a fair bit. Does she just need a phone? A cheapie PAYG would be less I think.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 01-Dec-14 00:08:43

The batteries are £20 from a local place (bias recently got one). I have no idea how much the screen will cost to be repaired.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Mon 01-Dec-14 00:32:10

Tbh by the time you get the batttery and screen replace ( the screen comes in 2 parts the digitizer and the screen) it would be cheaper to buy a second hand iphone.

If you do buy 2nd hand make sure iTunes and cloud is removed.

You could also take it into an Apple Store and they have a replacement programme. I think I paid £90 to have a new iPhone.

ShelaghTurner Mon 01-Dec-14 08:26:31

I can't really comment too much as my eldest is rising 7 so we're not there for a while yet. But I'm an iPhone fangirl so when the time comes for the dds to have phones then the chances are they'll have iPhones. They sure as hell won't be the newest ones cos that perk is reserved for me but I'd imagine it'll be the iPhone that has passed through me and then DH. It's just a make of phone. I gave one of my old ones to a friend for nothing and she was beside herself with joy. But it was worth about £20 iPhone or not.

DixieNormas Mon 01-Dec-14 09:02:54

About £60 for the screen to be fixed.

Ive told ds2 he can have my old one once he has looked after his for a year, atm he has a £20 tesco p&g.

It would be the fact shes lost hers that would stop me giving het the iphone

PurpleCrazyHorse Mon 01-Dec-14 09:38:22

I'd keep the iPhone as a family phone, for DS to borrow as/when he needs it. I'd get your DD a cheap p&g phone because of the problem with losing them. Is there any way to work on this with her?

micah Mon 01-Dec-14 09:43:11

Thing with iPhones though is you can install find my iPhone. So if it gets lost you can track it.

My 9 year old has an old contract iPhone (She spend a lot of time in a leisure centre training so needs a phone for emergencies).

The amount of times I've had to log on to icloud and "beep" it to find it down the back of the sofa or under her bed, without that we'd have lost it ages ago.

SistersOfPercy Mon 01-Dec-14 11:50:00

You can track android phones as well Micah, but that's no help if it's picked up then switched off.
Even if it's on and you track it to an address it could be the house either side of it, and then what do you do? The police might help but it's no guarantee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now