Talk

Advanced search

car rear window smashed

(15 Posts)
zobey Sun 30-Nov-14 21:22:30

I work delivering food to people and on Fri night my window got smashed. It's a company car that I pay X about a month for to be able to use it for personal use fully maintain and insuranced. I've payed the excess on the policy to get it replaced but they said it can take up to 10 working days to order the glass in as it's a unusual car. Aibu 1, to expect a curtsey car in the meantime. 2. To think that I'm not safe doing that job any more and to quit.

mindthegap79 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:31:14

It's certainly annoying, but you won't get a courtesy car unless you've paid to have one through your insurance policy.

What does your employer have to say about it? Was it known to be an unsafe area? Has anything like that happened before?

zobey Sun 30-Nov-14 21:35:29

It's part of the agreement that if my cars off the road I get a car till its back on. My employer said nothing like that has happened before whilst he has been in charge. But not being supportive. (car is hubbys company car that he got for me- big boss of different company so is allowed)

MidniteScribbler Sun 30-Nov-14 21:40:31

So the car is not actually a car from the company that you deliver food from? It belongs to your husband's business? I'd actually wonder if you're even allowed to use it for the purpose of working for another business and you're on shaky ground anyway.

mindthegap79 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:42:41

I agree. I'd be surprised if a company car could be used for business use for the business of another company. Sounds dodgy to me.

Sallyingforth Sun 30-Nov-14 21:43:40

<sucks breath in between teeth>

Icimoi Sun 30-Nov-14 21:45:44

Whether you're safe or not doing the job totally depends on a load of information that you haven't given us. How long have you been doing the job, has anything similar happened before, were you delivering in an area known to be unsafe or was this a one-off, how often do you have to deliver that area?

CupidStuntSurvivor Sun 30-Nov-14 21:45:51

Depends on your DH's policy. If a courtesy car isn't in the terms, that's just something you have to deal with. Does his insurance even cover him for you using it for business purposes?

zobey Sun 30-Nov-14 21:59:09

I've got fully comp- business insurance covering deliverys on it. We pay extra to allow that to happen. Week before in the same area my tyre got slashed. I've only been there 3 weeks.

CupidStuntSurvivor Sun 30-Nov-14 22:03:28

So, do the policies state you get a courtesy car?

zobey Sun 30-Nov-14 22:05:32

If the car is off the road. Yes till its fixed but they wouldn't give me one over the weekend unless I payed the full excess and did a proper claim. So going to speak to the company tomorrow and get one

CupidStuntSurvivor Sun 30-Nov-14 22:15:46

Well, YABU to expect a courtesy car before you've put a claim in.

YANBU about being concerned for your safety on your job. Why did the last person quit?

zobey Sun 30-Nov-14 22:18:20

I've put a claim in. Payed my #75 excess. They have been and secured my car and I've got to sit and wait till they ring me to tell me they have the glass.. I don't know I work for a big pizza company..

zobey Sun 30-Nov-14 22:19:13

It's a windscreen claim i did not a full 150.00 accident claim.

Viviennemary Sun 30-Nov-14 22:28:52

It certainly isn't allowed to use a company car to carry out work for another company. If your DH is a big boss of a company why on earth are you delivering pizzas in a dodgy area. Find a safer job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now