Talk

Advanced search

When did bright blue become a Christmas colour??

(67 Posts)
MrsSippy Sun 30-Nov-14 19:36:57

I have seen quite a few houses decorated for Christmas now (already??) but they all seem to have loads of blue lights, their houses look like they've left the fridge door open! AIBU to think it just doesn't look festive?

duckbilled Sun 30-Nov-14 19:37:58

YANBU i personally think it looks really tacky

LilyPapps Sun 30-Nov-14 19:41:56

YANBU. We were away for the weekend, and everyone seems to have put up outside lights while we were gone, and driving down the hill towards our village tonight, it looked like those blue-light fly-killing machines you see in butcher's shops.

AshesOfRoses Sun 30-Nov-14 19:43:15

My neighbour opposite has blue lights. I keep thinking the emergency services are outside and go to curtain twitch.

MasqueradeWaltzer Sun 30-Nov-14 19:44:12

YANBU, I dislike it intensely. For me, Christmas is red, green and gold, and that's that!

I did like the Tardis tree lights I saw online though...

BinarySolo Sun 30-Nov-14 19:46:51

Who decided that purple and silver were the colours for the millennium? I worked in a garden centre Xmas dept that year and remember loads of crap in those colours.

theoldtrout01876 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:47:44

Over here it seems the blue is for hanukkah .

MelanieCheeks Sun 30-Nov-14 19:47:47

Things change. Anything "bright" had been Christmassy for a while now.

Bodicea Sun 30-Nov-14 19:47:57

Can't stand any kind of themed, matchy, matchy ( I've just decked my house out in next home) colour scheme. It just looks naff.
Agree with masquerade - traditional red, green and gold or just a mashup of colours is the only thing that's acceptable for me.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 30-Nov-14 19:49:52

I dislike red green and gold - but my colour is fucking pink - everything is pink - kids chose it

I have introduced bright blue this year to balance it out

no outdoor lights for us but we do have a disco doorway (between lounge and kitchen) with flashing multi coloured lights grin

fluffyraggies Sun 30-Nov-14 19:51:10

Mixture of blue and white looks nice. All blue does look a bit cold. 'Specially indoors.

I notice you can by 'warm' or 'cold' white now too.

NorwaySpruce Sun 30-Nov-14 19:52:00

With the advent of LEDs. Being able to produce blue cheaply was a really big deal, and now it's everywhere.

Blue filament bulbs, in amongst other colours, are lovely though.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Nov-14 19:53:02

Fits in nicely with the never ending Frozen obsession which has gripped the UK.

SanityClause Sun 30-Nov-14 19:53:36

Our Christmas tree has been white and blue for years. I love it.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 30-Nov-14 19:56:13

I really dislike town lights when their blue. Just looks so cheap.
White will always look better

Hatespiders Sun 30-Nov-14 19:56:54

Ah, but if we stuck to the same colours year after year, the manufacturers wouldn't sell much. By changing the fashion of 'Christmas colours' completely, many folk will want the latest new blue stuff and spend money to get it.
No different to fashions in clothes or decor. To make profits they have to keep tastes on the move.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 30-Nov-14 19:59:02

My tree is white and purple, and I love it. It is all matching and looks nice in my purple and cream living room. It does feel Christmassy to us.

26Point2Miles Sun 30-Nov-14 20:03:08

There was always blue tinsel available in the 70's

ClashCityRocker Sun 30-Nov-14 20:06:18

Hate the blue led lights, too cold.

Although the bright white ones can look lovely, on the right house.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 30-Nov-14 20:07:54

Those blue lights really hurt my eyes. Glad I dont drive as they make me go a bit blurry.

I love blue lights, it makes me very happy that they're so popular now.

Fallingovercliffs Sun 30-Nov-14 20:11:20

I don't mind the very light icy blue lights, but I hate the deep blue ones. They look awful. I agree that a mismatch of old decorations in traditional colours looks much nicer than colour co-ordinated 'I bought all these in Habitat last week' stuff.

Charlilou490 Sun 30-Nov-14 20:11:28

I'd prefer blue and white lights rather than the tacky multi colour rope light Santa's and crap that decorate the nearby neighbourhood to me.

Gawjushun Sun 30-Nov-14 20:12:24

The 'jewel' colours have always been kinda popular for Xmas. Turquoise, hot pink, bright purple. Yeah, I kinda hate it. Using any one colour is OTT and looks cheap.

Teal seems to be popular on my Facebook timeline. Reminds me of bridesmaid dresses.

Hatespiders Sun 30-Nov-14 20:12:48

We saw a tree decorated in our local garden centre with black baubles. And black tinsel. It was a black tree actually. Do Satanists celebrate Christmas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now