Talk

Advanced search

to think this is just mental?

(13 Posts)
confusedandemployed Sun 30-Nov-14 18:33:29

DSis has just informed me that she has 33 children to buy presents for. Just 3 cousins in that lot and no siblings to her DD.most of my friends have kids, as do hers, but my friends and I wouldn't dream of buying for them all. Maybe one or two very close friends' kids. She appears to buy for all her school and uni friends' kids plus her DD's school friends.
I think she is unhinged, but am I just a Scrooge? don't really care if I am

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Nov-14 18:39:19

She's significantly more generous than I am, let's put it that way.

kinkyfuckery Sun 30-Nov-14 18:41:56

Oh god, no. That means if they all buy back her kid will end up with all manner of plastic, meaningless shite/

Thursdayisgoingtobehard Sun 30-Nov-14 18:42:59

I have 37 kids to buy for, excluding my own! All cousins, cousins kids and friends children. So yes I can see how it adds up xx

BadtzMaru Sun 30-Nov-14 18:43:38

YANBU she is nuts. I only buy for close friends' children and DD's cousins and that still comes to 9 children, I'd be bankrupt if it was 33. Is it a big gift she gets though or a small thing like a poundshop selection box?

CrockedPot Sun 30-Nov-14 18:45:38

YANBU. That's ridiculous, all manner of cheap crap will be bought, passed on, clutter up the house and binned. I wish people would think a bit about where all this unnecessary consumerism ends up.

madsadbad Sun 30-Nov-14 18:50:48

Don't think YABU, I also don't think she is BUR.
Different strokes for different fokes.

confusedandemployed Sun 30-Nov-14 19:15:16

OK so on balance she is completely bonkers then grin. That's a relief, I was living in fear of all my casual acquaintances foisting presents on DD. And yes, they are 'proper' presents, sort of mine £6-7 each.

confusedandemployed Sun 30-Nov-14 19:15:36

MIN £6-7 obv.

ThePerfectFather Sun 30-Nov-14 19:18:45

Do what we do - a secret santa style draw where you buy one present for one kid, and that way everyone gets one really good present instead of a ton of people getting a load of relatively shite ones.

confusedandemployed Sun 30-Nov-14 19:21:30

Yes I was thinking of doing just that, ThePerfectFather. And I'm sure BIL would be delighted if I suggested it to DSis. She has a fairly out of control spending habit at the best of times.

skylark2 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:26:49

A work colleague seems to do similar.

But her DH has five siblings, and her sister has six grownup kids. That's a lot of presents even only buying for fairly close relatives.

SophiaPetrillo Sun 30-Nov-14 19:55:08

i can see how this ends up happening. About 5 years ago I was buying for roughly 14 or 15 DCs and just thought "enough!"...cut it out right there and then, obviously having discussed it with the parents first, they were incredibly relieved when we cut it out, so stressful and expensive!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now