Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be utterly furious beyond belief with dh

(165 Posts)
sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 30-Nov-14 17:06:33

Last year I got all the Xmas decs the Christmassy singing soft toys, lights decorations and stuff I've been collecting over the years including stuff from when the kids were born and boxed them up. It turns out DH 'thought' it was rubbish and has took it all to the tip. I've got nothing hmm
I feel so upset and utterly angry as his thoughtless stupidity has caused me upset and will cost money to replace and this is not the first time it's happened with precious or valuable stuff.
He just doesn't get why I'm so upset and is trying to blame me by saying well I thought you were putting it up the loft

wowfudge Sun 30-Nov-14 17:08:12

Ouch. Was it labelled or obvious what it was?

icecoldfeet Sun 30-Nov-14 17:09:00

Were the boxes clearly labelled? Where have they been all year if not in the loft?

dexter73 Sun 30-Nov-14 17:09:57

It was an accident. It is annoying and costly but you are over-reacting by being so furious.

GraysAnalogy Sun 30-Nov-14 17:10:27

This would infuriate me.

My dad did the exact same thing and ended up chucking out lots of photos and things that were irreplaceable. Like would it have killed them to take a look or ask first?

YANBU

Unexpected Sun 30-Nov-14 17:11:56

Where did you leave the boxes that he thought they were rubbish? Presumably not in the loft or a storage are where it would have been obvious they had been "stored" rather than just dropped there?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 30-Nov-14 17:12:08

I would be furious too, why didn't he check with you to say 'is this lot for the tip?'

insancerre Sun 30-Nov-14 17:12:27

Dh did the same thing to my wedding dress that was in the garage
I was upset at first but now I'm not bothered in the least
It's just stuff

emotionsecho Sun 30-Nov-14 17:14:06

I would be livid too, doesn't really matter where they were he only had to check either with you or look inside the boxes.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 30-Nov-14 17:15:37

I'm kind of glad but not for you who've experienced similar that it's not just him! To whomever asked it was on the conservatory with the Christmas tree

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 30-Nov-14 17:15:53

Who throws away big boxes of stuff without checking what's in them?! I would be livid. It doesn't matter where they were stored, he should have checked first.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 30-Nov-14 17:16:03

In not on clearly!

Hakluyt Sun 30-Nov-14 17:16:28

Why did he think it was rubbish?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 30-Nov-14 17:17:02

Oh that's not ok and smacks of 'this stuff isn't mine so can't possibly be important' hmm

Doesn't sound like a mistake to me.

TheHobbit Sun 30-Nov-14 17:17:59

Deja vu! Im sure I've read this exact thread before confused

JeanSeberg Sun 30-Nov-14 17:18:48

Had they been in the conservatory all year with the tree or you'd just got everything down from the loft?

DixieNormas Sun 30-Nov-14 17:19:10

I don't think it was an accident, id be furious

Floggingmolly Sun 30-Nov-14 17:19:10

They were stored with the Christmas tree? The bloody gobshite! Sorry sad

LegoCaltrops Sun 30-Nov-14 17:19:45

Doesn't sound like an accident. Had he asked you to put it in the loft? It sounds like something my XP would do to punish me if I'd disobeyed him, ie 'accidentally' get rid of something. I'd be furious. Is he going to pay to replace it all?

pigsDOfly Sun 30-Nov-14 17:20:41

Maybe he does it every year Hobbit

RedButtonhole Sun 30-Nov-14 17:21:09

I don't really understand how this happens. Surely if you're getting rid of boxes you have a quick peek inside to check what they contain before just chucking them?

I can understand why you're upset, Christmas stuff can be quite sentimental and pretty expensive to have to replace a whole collection of it in one go. It was an accident though, and as insancerre says, it's just stuff?

Go and treat yourself to something really pretty as part of your new collection, doesn't need to be expensive- I got some gorgeous glass baubles from Wilko's that were only £1.50 each. Bulk it up with cheap supermarket packs if money is an issue. Don't have a big fight over it.

Bowlersarm Sun 30-Nov-14 17:23:18

I'd be very angry. It doesn't sound like an accident.

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 30-Nov-14 17:25:12

I'd be beyond furious too. I couldn't live with someone so utterly thoughtless and stupid quite frankly.

raltheraffe Sun 30-Nov-14 17:25:15

I would never throw out cardboard boxes of stuff without establishing what was in them and whether it was rubbish for the tip.

Who boxes up rubbish for the tip anyway? I sling tip rubbish in bin bags.

CakeAndWineAreAFoodGroup Sun 30-Nov-14 17:33:52

Being mardy, I would feel like taking something of his to the tip.

But then as my Nan would say, two wrongs don't make a right .

You can't replace the lost items but you still have the memories. Time to go out and buy some more stuff, as Redbuttonhole says, there's some really gorgeous items out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now