Talk

Advanced search

to hate my stupid metabolism? Diet related rant ahead.

(83 Posts)
NotTodaySatan Sun 30-Nov-14 10:26:28

I've lost quite a lot of weight recently by eating a very strict 1400 calorie a day diet, and exercising every day. I'm also breastfeeding.

On Friday night I developed a horrible cold and cough and have felt really rough and unmotivated. I didn't throw the diet completely out the window but did have a few treats (couple of biscuits, 3 slices of pizza, a glass of wine) and this morning I am 2lb heavier angry .

I have literally no leeway. If I don't keep to the low calorie intake I put on weight. When not breastfeeding I have to keep to 1000 calories a day to lose weight. Any more and I don't. It's so infuriating and makes me feel like I have to be on an inflexible no treat diet forever if I want to be at my desired weight. Ideally I want to lost another stone and keep it off. Which seems like it'll be practically impossible once I stop bf-ing.

Disclaimer: I know I'm being shallow and petty and this is a royal first world problem but it's pissed me right off and I need to rant. I have Xmas party dresses to fit into goddammit! I'm back on the wagon this morning, have had a low carb breakfast and am now off for a 6-7k walk with the dog.

Any of you who can truly eat whatever you like and not put on weight, I am eternally jealous envy. Jammy sods. Mmmm jam....

Mitchy1nge Sun 30-Nov-14 10:38:09

this is simply not how it works hmm

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Sun 30-Nov-14 10:42:12

YABU.

originalusernamefail Sun 30-Nov-14 10:45:13

It's how it works for me hmm. That 2lb will be water though so should disappear as quickly as it appears. I am a short (wide) arse with a pituitary disorder. I need less calories than the average person to get by, but I want them, and the body too stamps foot

ppeatfruit Sun 30-Nov-14 10:45:28

NotToday I lost nearly 3 stone by following paul Mckenna Way Of Eating and there is NO calorie counting or weighing of food or eating low fat crap. I have maintained for over a year.

!4000 calories is a starvation diet and you really need a healthy intake of food when you're breast feeding!

fatlazymummy Sun 30-Nov-14 10:46:54

Calm down.
You haven't gained 2 pounds of fat in 2 days, that's impossible. You have probably retained fluid through eating pizza (usually high salt) and drinking wine.Plus normal hormonal changes, which most women experience through the month. Even weighing at different times of the day can add or lose a couple of pounds.
Well done on your weightloss by the way smile

ThirdPoliceman Sun 30-Nov-14 10:48:10

Oh Satan I feel your pain.
I am cursed with metabolic indolence. My maintenance diet would result in chisel face features and visible hip bones in most others; me, nah. My mother, God rest her soul, used to say I suited the well nourished look. Just as well.

ppeatfruit Sun 30-Nov-14 10:52:30

Also if you don't eat enough good food you will GAIN weight because your body goes into 'starvation mode' and hangs onto water. DH skips meals drinks too much coffee etc. and he still weighs 4 stone more than me !!!!

Snaveanator Sun 30-Nov-14 10:56:14

You'd also be surprised at how much the scales can go down by, simply by having a good dump grin

ppeatfruit Sun 30-Nov-14 10:57:12

Or hormonal swings? grin

CatLady25 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:58:40

That sucks but atleast you are trying give yourself props for that

ToffeePenny Sun 30-Nov-14 10:59:24

I feel your pain and, as original said, it will just be water weight this time. Eat asparagus if you need a quick 'pep talk' from the scales.

Longer term you need to increase your metabolic rate by increasing the amount of muscle you have - I also find that on low calorie diets my body adapts and levels out and I need to go lower and lower to keep losing at the same rate. This is problematic because then I don't have the energy to exercise and the more muscle you have = the higher your metabolism which stops you gaining it back.

I'm not suggesting you need to start pumping iron - start with core muscles through Pilates and pick up the pace on your walk (run?) to get the glutes working - these major muscles are 'expensive' in terms of energy requirements which is what you want now.

And you're not being petty <eyes DH's bingo-wing-beer-gut-and-cellulite-covering tux next to my strappy, waist-and-bottom-hugging-gown-of-fabulousness> It's harder to get into the party spirit when you're feeling self conscious.

WrigleysBum Sun 30-Nov-14 11:00:43

1400 cals a starvation diet?? For a polar bear, possibly.

As has been said, it's water and will go as soon as quickly as it arrived.

Pilgit Sun 30-Nov-14 11:00:57

Bloody frustrating! I desperately need to lose weight but every time I go on a diet my periods go into reverse so I go one week off three weeks on! The doc is adamant it is just dieting and "what do you expect when you're obese?" Makes me want to scream. I feel your pain on this.

specialsubject Sun 30-Nov-14 11:03:15

have you had a medical check to rule out thyroid issues etc?

if that is all clear,there's nothing physically wrong with you. Putting on more muscle will slightly increase your daily calorie requirements for a stable weight.

significantly you don't mention your height or your weight, which makes me wonder if your ideas are realistic.

fat is bad. Exercise and healthy eating are good. Too thin is bad. Buying dresses the wrong size is bad. 'hating' a body that moves, thinks, produces babies, feeds babies is very, very wrong.

NotTodaySatan Sun 30-Nov-14 11:08:17

I don't really hate myself special. I just have a tendency towards being a drama queen smile.

It's baby weight (and a bit extra) that I am losing. I'm 5'4 and currently 10st 7lb. My goal weight is 9st 10lb. At my heaviest I was a weeble 13st 9lb.

I haven't bought dresses in the wrong size hoping to slim into. I just have a wardrobe full of small size 12s that I want to fit into without worry.

My mantra is "It's a marathon, not a sprint.". I'm planning re-joining my gym in January once DS is a bit bigger and can be left with DP. I want to get really toned and fit.

Thanks for the support. Glad it's not just me that has this problem! And LOL at polar bear grin.

Suzannewithaplan Sun 30-Nov-14 11:11:24

You don't say how tall you are, obviously a shorter / small framed person will need less fuel than a bigger one.
Perhaps most of the weight that you lost is muscle tissue? If so your metabolic rate would be lower than had you retained the lean tissue.

Some strength training could help you to increase your metabolic rate ‎

WonderingOutLoud00 Sun 30-Nov-14 11:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrowersBlues Sun 30-Nov-14 11:18:28

You are doing really well so stop beating yourself up. Try to turn all your negative thoughts about yourself into positive thoughts. Don't use words like shallow and petty or weeble about yourself. Everyone wants to look their best and fit into their clothes.

You have to allow yourself a treat or else life is not worth living. Keep up with the walks and don't starve yourself. Enjoy your baby and keep telling yourself how fabulous you are.

TallulahTwinkletoes Sun 30-Nov-14 11:23:09

Congratulations on your baby and your weight loss winethanks

Have you done any exercises to speed your metabolism up?

Agree with others. It's not fat, it's just water retention from the carbs and sometimes eating more is helpful and it tricks your body

ppeatfruit Sun 30-Nov-14 11:36:57

How old is your little one? It's completely normal to have baby weight just RELAX, eat healthily, and enjoy your baby grin. Also being awake for feeds at night is difficult for weight loss (it affects your hormones).

NotTodaySatan Sun 30-Nov-14 11:41:59

Does it ppeat?? That's interesting.

He's almost 16 weeks and I am enjoying him just fine grin . He's an amazing wee dude.

I'm also feeling brilliant eating the healthy food (no diet food or low fat stuff, lots of eggs, yoghurt and cheese, lean protein, berries, nuts and dark greens). I view it as a long term change rather than a quick fix.

But DS is my priority and I wouldn't allow myself to compromise his milk. I've been monitoring his feeds/nappies/sleeping to make sure he's getting enough.

Fourarmsv2 Sun 30-Nov-14 11:47:16

Pilgit

Bloody frustrating! I desperately need to lose weight but every time I go on a diet my periods go into reverse so I go one week off three weeks on!

I had this for a few months but it has really improved lately so maybe bare with it for a little while?

OP - maybe try low carbing instead of calorie counting? I'm 5ft 4 and 10 stone 2.5lb. Squeezed into a few size 8s yesterday. Had belly pork for breakfast, large latte at cinema, (Nandos) 4 x chicken thighs, salad drenched in olive oil & balsamic vinegar and corn on cob for lunch, another latte mid afternoon (wouldn't normally have 2 in a week let alone a day as I drink bucketfuls of fairly milky coffee anyway) and chicken salad with mayo followed by raspberries and a pile of whipped cream for dessert. Today I lost half a pound on yesterday.

1/3 of a small pizza at Pizza Hut followed by a dessert = 3lb gain last month. Gone within a week though.

NotTodaySatan Sun 30-Nov-14 11:52:53

Belly pork is my kinda brekkie grin

I can't believe you are in size 8s at 10st 2lb shock I must weigh 'heavy' because at 10st 7lb I'm mostly in 12s and the odd 14 confused. My stats are

Overbust - 39 inches
Underbust - 32 inches
Waist - 32 inches
Hips - 40 inches

I've been using My Fitness Pal to log my calories. I find that easier than strict low carbing. All I'm doing on that front is cutting out most refined white carbs. I'm still eating 2 slices of seeded bread a day and carby veg like carrots, sweet potatoes etc.

ppeatfruit Mon 01-Dec-14 09:12:50

Oh sorry I didn't mention that I low carb too. No wheat at all (which is difficult but is getting easier) M&S are doing a lovely selection of non wheat now. we eat whole rye bread, from Waitrose, spelt and Kamut which don't give us that exhausted grumpy feeling (esp. dh grin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now