Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this coach was being a killjoy

(10 Posts)
fortifiedwithtea Sat 29-Nov-14 22:29:05

I've been sad and stewing over this since DD2 told what happened at skating today.

DD2 skates at quite a decent level but she also likes to make friends and is very sociable. Recently she has made a new friend, a boy, a year older than her. She is on a higher level than him.

Today his coach came over to them on the ice and told her she was not to talk to him anymore. I am very angry about this. Mainly because they were on a general public session, were families skate. Neither of them were having a lesson at that time.

I asked DD2 were they talking. She said yes they had been and they had been practicing spins. So what has she done that is so terrible?

Do you think his mum has complained? Somehow I can't see that as DD2 likes to help children with moves (she wants to be a coach when she grows up) Maybe that has got up the coaches nose.

I could say nothing or

Bitch that maybe her students shouldn't distract DD, who should be practising for competition or

E-mail DD's own coach and ask what the other coach's beef is?

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Sat 29-Nov-14 22:36:19

That's really odd if neither were in a lesson then it's none of the coach's business if they are speaking. Maybe she thought he needed to be practising more, using his time on the ice more efficiently.

On a different note I read the title and clicked just to see how a vehicle could be a killjoy blush

smokinggnu Sat 29-Nov-14 22:42:31

That sounds very over involved for the coach. Not in a lesson? I'd be asking for an explanation.

Panzee Sat 29-Nov-14 22:43:25

Maybe the coach knows something about the boy.

Panzee Sat 29-Nov-14 22:44:01

Ignore! Must read post properly. blush

fortifiedwithtea Sat 29-Nov-14 22:51:19

grin @ joyless vehicle. It does read like that doesn't it.

Well the other coach has coached Olympic champions from another country. So she is a perfectionist.

fortifiedwithtea Sat 29-Nov-14 23:13:05

None of her business and over involved.

So far people agree with me. What do I do about? Gut feeling is message DD's coach because I don't trust myself to be tactful contacting the boy's coach for her opinion direct.

blanklook Sat 29-Nov-14 23:33:16

Go with your gut feeling.

It's possible your dd has shown the boy how to do something and the boy's coach has had her nose put out of joint because your dd is better at getting him to achieve than she is.

Or, his coach feels your dd has shown the boy the wrong way to do something and he'll lose points, but because they are friends or the exercise is easier dd's way he's given the coach backchat.

Sorry, I have an overactive imagination and all the above is guessing.

Definitely, contact dd's coach and ask her to find out what's happened to make the boy's coach behave like that, then from a position of knowledge, see if you think it needs further action on your, dd's or her coach's part.

marnia68 Sun 30-Nov-14 00:23:53

Hmm or maybe it didn't happen exactly the way your DD is telling it?

fortifiedwithtea Sun 30-Nov-14 00:44:16

I would hope DD is more reliable now she is 12 (yr 7) and the boy is 13 (yr 9). And no I don't think they have a crush on each other.

Figure skating boys are as rare as hens teeth. DD looks at them for their pairs potential wink. A partner ideally would be 6 inches taller and strong enough for the lifts and similar skill level. I wonder if she is keeping him in mind for the future grin

I have e-mailed DD's coach and asked her to have a gentle word to get the other side of the story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now