Talk

Advanced search

Ainu to think that this is a form of child abuse

(79 Posts)
Themotherofmonkeys Sat 29-Nov-14 21:56:46

A boy in ds class year 10 (who looks fine not ugly at all) has had 2 cosmetic surgeries at 15. Surely it can't be legal to have plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons at 15. I am also concerned about the boy promoting this. In fact I'm completely gobsmacked.

tethersend Sat 29-Nov-14 21:57:57

Do you know for a fact that he's had these procedures?

How did you find out?

Fairenuff Sat 29-Nov-14 21:57:59

How do you know this?

PartyFops Sat 29-Nov-14 21:58:03

I suppose it al depends on the type of surgery and how HE feels about it.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sat 29-Nov-14 21:58:29

What has he had done?

Purplecircle Sat 29-Nov-14 21:58:30

Doesn't it depend on the surgery? Correcting a badly broken nose which causes breathing problems then YANBU
Pure vanity... YABU

StickEm Sat 29-Nov-14 21:58:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:02

If he's had his ears pinned back and a brace fitted then that's normal enough to me.

Both 'cosmetic' in most cases.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:09

Depends on the surgeries and how he feels about it.

My DS was offered plastic surgery at 12. He declined, but it would have been provided for him on the NHS.

Lomega Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:35

was it purely for aesthetic reasons though? he may have had a condition or illness that meant he needed facial surgery or something (don't know a lot about this sort of thing)

I had a classmate at school who had surgery aged 14 to break her jawbone and re-set it as her underbite was so bad. she had turner's syndrome and often said how she wanted surgery to look more feminine. it was quite sad really but she was definitely the one pushing for surgery, not her parents.

crumblebumblebee Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:40

It depends on what you consider cosmetic though tbh.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:51

And it's hardly even close to child abuse.

26Point2Miles Sat 29-Nov-14 21:59:53

Course it's not child abuse.... You are being ridiculous

MajesticWhine Sat 29-Nov-14 22:00:29

YABU. Based on the information given, no this is not a form of child abuse.

Themotherofmonkeys Sat 29-Nov-14 22:00:36

No ds said that he had his jaw done and nose and that he came into school with badges. It was cosmetic and the child brags about it. Some parents encouraging life changing procedurers at such a young age

AuntieStella Sat 29-Nov-14 22:01:26

Without knowing what the procedures are, I'd not want to hazard a guess on whether this was reasonable.

And if NHS funded, then there will be a medically important underlying cause (which might be something neither boy nor parents have chosen to make public).

SnowSpot Sat 29-Nov-14 22:01:26

Depends on the surgery. Ears pinned back? 'Septum straightened? Lazer removal of an unsightly blemish? all could be classified as plastic surgery and perfectly legal.
These things tend to be very closely policed.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sat 29-Nov-14 22:01:44

How do you know that what your DS is being told is the absolute truth?

Had DS decided to go ahead with his, we might well have fudged the truth for his sake with school mates.

Themotherofmonkeys Sat 29-Nov-14 22:02:02

Surely it's a form of mental abuse letting a child think their inedequate and paying for surgery. Even if it doesn't define child abuse it's morally bankrupt.

NoSundayWorkingPlease Sat 29-Nov-14 22:02:56

Having ears pinned back, correcting a badly broken nose...both fine IMO.

Having Botox or a chin implant, not so fine at 15.

Obviously it's dependant on what the surgery is.

Themotherofmonkeys Sat 29-Nov-14 22:03:10

Ds asked if it was on nhs he said no and he said was their something medically wrong again no it was cosmetic.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sat 29-Nov-14 22:03:13

You don't know the full facts.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 29-Nov-14 22:03:15

Jaw and nose done with no reason?

Bollocks, no surgeon would do that to an under 16 with no medical reason.

NoSundayWorkingPlease Sat 29-Nov-14 22:03:59

His jaw done?

What does that even mean?

ILoveFrogs Sat 29-Nov-14 22:04:02

Depends, my friends brother had his ears pinned back at a young age for cosmetic purposes. My brother had cosmetic surgery on his lip at aged 10 for cosmetic reasons, he fell back in hid pram when he was 3 and bit through his bottom lip, when it healed it left him with a bit of a bulge on his bottom lip so it looked like he had a big bottom lip, he got teased sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now