Talk

Advanced search

about my son's christmas list?

(131 Posts)
naughtylist Sat 29-Nov-14 21:34:03

He is 6, very immature for his age, having trouble with his learning and is being left behind a little at school as the other boys are playing football, playing computer games, lego and so on.

Looked at his list and there's lots of cuddly toys on there. There's other stuff too like a robot dinosaur and play doh etc. DH says not to get the cuddly toys for his own sake. I have agreed but now feeling awful. He really wants them and I keep thinking of the penguin John Lewis advert. Should I get them for him?

Lozzie12 Sat 29-Nov-14 21:36:07

I think you should get him what he wants. I wouldn't worry too much, he will be wanting different things soon enough, he sounds lovely.

Nanny0gg Sat 29-Nov-14 21:36:38

You could get him one.

Especially if he likes dinosaurs or something specific, get a cuddly one.

Thesimplethings Sat 29-Nov-14 21:37:22

Yes! Get him something he wants from his list and add a couple of things that are popular amongst his friends so he can join in if he wants too.

Minisoksmakehardwork Sat 29-Nov-14 21:37:26

Does he understand Father Christmas can't bring everything? Tbh my 6yo dd loves her cuddly toys still so we've ordered some frozen ones to be shared out between her and her younger siblings. There's no harm getting one or two if he genuinely wants them.

To put it in perspective, he is still only at infant school and I do feel sometimes we push our children to be older than they need to be.

MyPandaisasecretmonster Sat 29-Nov-14 21:37:27

Why wouldn't you get them confused

My Ds is also 6 & isn't in to Lego or football or anything else of the sorts .

I will & do buy him teddies & he loves them.

So yes YABVU

LaurieFairyCake Sat 29-Nov-14 21:37:34

sad 6 is the perfect age for cuddly toys

AlpacaYourThings Sat 29-Nov-14 21:37:38

I would get him what he asks for, personally.

elmwoo Sat 29-Nov-14 21:38:05

Maybe just get him one special one? A really nice one that is really soft and cuddly

edwinbear Sat 29-Nov-14 21:38:07

ds is 5 and still takes a cuddly to bed. I don't think there is anything wrong with him wanting a few soft toys as well as well as a robot dinosaur.

Fudgalisious Sat 29-Nov-14 21:38:11

If it was me i would get him at least one, he's only 6 that's not too old for cuddly toys imo. We've got my 6 y/o a cuddly teddy with a teething ring attached to it that by rights is a 'baby toy'-it's ideal for her as she chews as she is falling to sleep and she likes teddies/dolls in with her. As she grows she will choose when to give it up and in the meantime of her friends visit she can put it away somewhere if she wishes.

WorraLiberty Sat 29-Nov-14 21:38:23

What's wrong with cuddly toys? confused

My 12yr old 5ft 4" rugby playing DS has asked for a cuddly Minion grin

It'll no doubt take pride of place on his bedroom cabinet and even if his mates do take the piss, it'll be all good natured.

Alambil Sat 29-Nov-14 21:38:25

My DS is 12 and still has cuddly toys in his room - he's not attached to them permanently, but still chats to them at times

I don't see the harm in it; not like it's corrupting his developing mind like some films/video games!

hooplahoop Sat 29-Nov-14 21:39:05

My bug bear is children playing with toys that they'd appreciate more when they're older. 6 is perfect age for play doh and cuddly toys. Toys can be used for great imaginative games. Get them and let him enjoy.

GertrudePerkins Sat 29-Nov-14 21:39:09

get him what he wants

i was surprised when dd1, who was 7 at the time, wanted a baby Annabel doll and accessories last year when her mates were all after nintendo DSes.

But she's played with that doll every day, and pretty much every one of her friends who visits makes a beeline straight towards it as well.

Mrsgrumble Sat 29-Nov-14 21:39:21

I would get him them. It's his little Christmas wish and he would be so happy. Mix it up with a few older gifts.

Mine is 9 and still loves the cuddly toys. Don't sweat it. He isn't street smart like his cousin, who is same age and seems to be running a gang and into girls hmm

But football and minecraft came along slowly from school friends. And when they are here, they seem to love the imaginative toys and cuddly bears too!

hippo123 Sat 29-Nov-14 21:39:31

He's 6 not 16, I would get him some cuddly toys if that what he wants.

raltheraffe Sat 29-Nov-14 21:39:50

Why not get him the cuddly toys and play doh? It is his list, what he wants. I do not think a few cuddly toys is going to exacerbate any learning issues

insanityscratching Sat 29-Nov-14 21:40:05

Dd is 11 she has a cuddly toy every Christmas I really don't see the harm tbh. I'd get him one at least if that's what he wants. To reassure you my adult boys had cuddly toys at six and beyond and they seem to have turned out fine regardless.

Jill2015 Sat 29-Nov-14 21:40:28

Yes, get them for him. He is only six.

TeenAndTween Sat 29-Nov-14 21:40:36

My DD is 10. She still loves her cuddly toys. She is getting a Golden Lion Tamarin for Christmas. She could set up a zoo with all her exotic species grin

Get him some cuddlies. But also some other things too that might extend his interests.

Does he like Deadly 60?

LuckyLopez Sat 29-Nov-14 21:41:20

Do you think he has trouble thinking about what is available and what he might like to play with and so just chooses familiar things.

Could you take him to a toy shop and show him what sort of things there are?

RexMottramsTortoise Sat 29-Nov-14 21:42:20

He's still only little! What's wrong with cuddly toys? He doesn't NEED to like lego or football just because other boys do. A surprisingly number of men never get a liking for football (my OH is one of them and I work with a few).

I like embroidery and knitting and I am only 27. Some people might say those are things old women do. I don't give a shit, I enjoy them.

Poofus Sat 29-Nov-14 21:43:19

The teddy bear I still treasure and would take with me to bed if I could, was a Christmas gift the year I was six. I'm 36 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now