Talk

Advanced search

to leave my son downstairs

(17 Posts)
bouffanteh Sat 29-Nov-14 16:15:57

I'm ill. I'll put it out there that I'm one of those smug people that don't get ill (seriously about 9 years since I've been bed ridden, no time off work ever etc).
But, ill I am. Sickness bug and the achiest limbs ever, but I can't sleep due to having to run to bathroom every ten mins or so.
My ds 10 has pretty much played on ds/watched tv all day and I feel awful about it.
My sister is coming to take him for the night but not for another hour. I've tried to stay downstairs but I feel vaguely better if I'm in bed.
No other children, no partner and lo knows I'm here if he needs me.
It's Saturday, we should be out doing nice things instead he's been in all day.
I feel like such a shit mum!

GemmaPuddledDuck Sat 29-Nov-14 16:17:23

Yanbu, 10 is old enough to entertain himself

SassySugarCane Sat 29-Nov-14 16:18:01

If only for another hour he will be fine. We get ill, can't be helped! Is he sensible enough to sit put for that time?

Fairywhitebear Sat 29-Nov-14 16:18:10

I don't think you have any other choice. So long as he's sensible, I would say 10 is fine. At 10 , he will also understand you're ill, so won't think you're a shit mum at all! (he's probably loving it right now, playing on his ds all day lol)

Hope you feel better soon flowers

CatLady25 Sat 29-Nov-14 16:19:21

It really doesnt matter

Finola1step Sat 29-Nov-14 16:20:49

He's 10. He's probably loving the time by himself, being all grown up.

bouffanteh Sat 29-Nov-14 16:27:36

He's an angel that can make his own drink etc, I know it's fine, everything just feels difficult at the moment i cried after sneezing earlier

BertieBrabinger Sat 29-Nov-14 17:03:56

I really wouldn't worry. I've been really under the weather for the last two days and that has meant entertaining my DS(4) in the morning, giving him lunch and then falling asleep on the sofa for 2-3hours just to get some respite from this bug. All the doors are locked, I've made sure nothing potentially dangerous is lying around and he has been great, watching CBeebies and playing with lego. So if your DS is 10, then YANBU at all!

cuddybridge Sat 29-Nov-14 17:53:37

When I was 10 my DM left me at home ill in bed and went to work, and so did all my friends mums.

Hell be fine, if he's not he'll come up and say or yell

bouffanteh Sat 29-Nov-14 18:46:48

She came early, bought me loads of supplies (and flowers!) And off they went. He hadn't electrocuted himself or killed the cat so we're all good.
Silly aibu I'm just trying to take my mind off it all!

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 29-Nov-14 18:57:56

At 10, you should be upstairs and ordering him to bring you anything you need!

YANBU

Bumbiscuits Sat 29-Nov-14 19:00:59

I have the wine flu today and DH is in another city. My two (6 and 10) have entertained themselves all day with iPads, TV and lots of snacks, while I stop the sofa from floating away.

I'm feeling no guilt, even though my "illness" was self inflicted, so neither should you. Get well soon.

Preciousbane Sat 29-Nov-14 19:30:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 29-Nov-14 19:34:52

10 is old enough to leave them home alone for short periods. It's absolutely and completely fine to leave them upstairs/downstairs by themselves, even if you're not sick!

It's also completely fine to have a day on the sofa/ in front of the TV now and again.

Hope you feel better soon.

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Sat 29-Nov-14 19:38:35

At 10 he should be nursing you better, making chicken soup etc.
Get well soon.

bouffanteh Sat 29-Nov-14 19:40:13

I really want someone to bring me food :'( being ill alone sucks.
Sister bought drinks n tablets etc but i haven't eaten since yesterday morning.
Wibu to order a takeaway?
Lol I know I won't actually be able to eat anything, really mustnt do that.

halfdrunkcoffee Sat 29-Nov-14 21:01:01

I think he'll be fine. He can come and get you if he urgently needs anything, he is old enough to understand that you are ill and it won't hurt him to have a lot of screen time just this once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now