Talk

Advanced search

I have the ultimate in First World Problems!

(49 Posts)
manicinsomniac Sat 29-Nov-14 13:47:13

My mum and my sister are coming to stay with me and my daughters for Christmas. My mum phoned me yesterday all excited to say that she has saved £50 on a Morrisons savers card for us to do the Christmas shopping with.

It's so unbelievably kind of her. I didn't expect her to pay for it as I have more money than she does. But (major snobbish spoilt brat moment coming up ...) I wanted to do the Christmas shopping at Waitrose!! grin blush

I don't shop at Waitrose all the time or anything but it's just so nice for a treat and I've been eyeing up their Christmas stuff for a while.

Tell me I'm being massively unreasonable, ungrateful, snobby and pretentious and that Morrisons stuff will be just the same!

I know I would be massively unreasonable to say anything to my mum and must accept her gift with thanks and enthusiasm. But AIBU to feel just a little sad and regretful?? wink

afreshstartplease Sat 29-Nov-14 13:48:40

Can't you do half and half?

madsadbad Sat 29-Nov-14 13:48:58

Can you do some between both?

LongDistanceLove Sat 29-Nov-14 13:49:13

Do half at morrisons half at waitrose?

LongDistanceLove Sat 29-Nov-14 13:49:52

Xpost

ApocalypseThen Sat 29-Nov-14 13:50:19

You'll be lucky if fifty does the Christmas shopping, so get the basics in one shop and the fancy add ons in the other shop. A first world solution to a first world problem!

CupidStuntSurvivor Sat 29-Nov-14 13:50:51

It won't be the same though! I agree with half and half. My Christmas food shopping easily comes to over £50 and I only do desserts and some buffet bits.

Thurlow Sat 29-Nov-14 13:51:16

That really is a first world problem grin

Morrisons have some really nice stuff. Just sneak in a few Waitrose things as well!

littlesupersparks Sat 29-Nov-14 13:51:26

Buy the turkey and veg from morrisons and some cheap fizz etc and buy all the fancy trimmings from waitrose :-)

Mrscog Sat 29-Nov-14 13:51:40

Well you won't get everything at Morrisons for £50, so I'd graciously go shopping and get things where you really won't tell the difference - all the veg, potatoes, crisps, biscuits for cheese etc. etc. from there.

Pre-prepare and decide what you'd want from Waitrose, and get those things in before you do the Morrisons shop, so that when you do the Morrisons shop you can just say 'ooh it's ok Mum, I've already got a Xmas cake' or whatever.

LadyLuck10 Sat 29-Nov-14 13:51:46

Get all the basic everyday stuff from morrisons, and all the nice treats from waitrose.

missjenniferhoney Sat 29-Nov-14 13:51:53

YABU. Just plan what you can get with the £50 from Morrisons then do the rest of your shopping at Waitrose. Don't be such a major snobby spoilt brat (your words!)

Elizabethtailored Sat 29-Nov-14 13:53:15

Go and buy all your loo rolls, cleaning products, booze, potatoes, sprouts etc there and buy the special bits in Waitrose.

motherofmonster Sat 29-Nov-14 13:54:36

Split the shop, potatoes, carrotts, beer, champs, crisps, coke, orange juice,ect at morrisons.
turkey, pigs in blankets,stuffing ect at waitrose

Purpleflamingos Sat 29-Nov-14 13:56:51

Get your main course from waitrose, dessert, cheese, crackers, panettone, etc from morrisons and take your mum along to share the experience.

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 29-Nov-14 14:01:54

You're bonkers - most of the ingredients in a christmas meal are staples you can buy anywhere - potatoes, veg, cream, alcohol etc. the quality simply won't be different. Buy it at morrisons...

50 quid will soon run out though...

CheeseEqualsHappiness Sat 29-Nov-14 14:02:00

Have you been to a Morrisons? They have some great stuff!

manicinsomniac Sat 29-Nov-14 14:02:35

Don't usually spend much more than £50 as none of us are big drinkers and we don't like a lot of the really expensive stuff (have chicken instead of a big turkey for example).

But yes, I expect I can get away with buying treaty things from Waitrose over the next couple of weeks before she arrives. if I included the general food for normal meals while she's staying it will definitely be well over £50.

manicinsomniac Sat 29-Nov-14 14:03:21

Purple Oh yes, mum will come shopping with us.

Cheese - ummm, to my shame - no! I haven't. Glad they have good stuff.

snice Sat 29-Nov-14 14:03:49

buy all the drinks with the Morrisons money and be a bit more grateful and gracious about your mother's very kind offer you snob

Jelliebabe2 Sat 29-Nov-14 14:17:48

What a lovely gift! Send your mumto my house please! Agree with splitting the shop though, I know what you mean when you've been looking forward to something.

StarlingMurmuration Sat 29-Nov-14 14:18:04

Even without booze, you can get a lots of branded stuff from Morrisons and it'll be exactly the same... I'd just get the chicken and the fancy trimmings from Waitrose.

cavkc Sat 29-Nov-14 14:21:53

You could easily spend over £50 in morrisons just on alcohol.

Potatoes
Veg
Milk & dairy
Tinned stuff
Cereal
Crisps etc

I'll be doing this then having Ocado for the nicer bits

manicinsomniac Sat 29-Nov-14 14:23:44

Yep. You're all right! I shall make two lists and all will still be well with the world if my Christmas carrots don't come from Waitrose. grin

NorbertDentressangle Sat 29-Nov-14 14:23:51

Basics and booze from Morrisons and the nice treats from Waitrose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now