Talk

Advanced search

To expect a teacher to at least check that year 7s were being picked up from an evening event at school?

(64 Posts)
CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 12:50:55

DD is in a play at her school, she is one of only 3 yr 7s in the play (the others are older, right up to sixth form). The rehersals end at 6.30. The school is a little way out of town and approx 2.5 miles from our house.
When I arrived to pick her up last night the children were all getting their bits ready to come home and the teachers disappeared. One yr 7 girl was left as her parents hadn't picked her up. I ended up finally getting in touch with her parents and giving her a lift but I was a bit shocked that when it was pitch black out and in a not well lit area the teachers did not even try to check that the younger children had been picked up. They are only 11.

I teach much younger children myself so obviously we work by very different rules but just wondered if this was the norm?

Thumbwitch Sat 29-Nov-14 12:53:24

I'd be amazed if it was the norm! And pretty cross with the teachers if that was my child who had been left behind! Had they actually left, or were they just out of sight in the staffroom or something? Still, they have a duty of care and should have checked. IMO.

skylark2 Sat 29-Nov-14 12:55:22

The teachers would have had to come back in to turn lights off etc. wouldn't they? Or had they just gone home?

Yes, I'd expect teachers to check that there was nobody sitting in the corner panicking because mum hadn't shown up if some of the kids are only 11.

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 12:56:12

That's what I thought, we're amongst the more laid back parents in our group of friends and dd is really independent but I don't let her walk about in the dark on her own. The teachers appeared to have left, they were certainly no longer in the drama studio.

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 12:57:56

Ok, I think I will mention it. I'm really grateful to them for putting in those extra hours and DS is loving it so I don't want to upset them but I do think this needs flagging up.

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 12:58:17

Dd I mean!

TheFallenMadonna Sat 29-Nov-14 13:03:38

I regularly pick my son up after a sports club and he waits by himself for me. Trips are different, and we have to get written confirmation of how the child is getting home and wait for parents if necessary.

Had something happened to her parents?

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 13:09:07

They were confused about the pick up time and her phone was out of charge. A bit odd that they didn't just head up to school as they'd told her she wasn't to walk home! Never mind, all ok. Am happy to take all 3 year 7s home I just wondered if this was how it worked at high school.

ravenAK Sat 29-Nov-14 13:09:33

I'm a secondary school teacher, & I'd be hung out to dry if I did this!

Expectation is that we make sure all students are off the premises & on their way home - we expect them to have made arrangements & don't tick them off a list or hand them over individually to a named person or anything, so sometimes a child will be walking home, if that's what they & their parents have decided is OK. But you don't leave if a kid is hanging around with no obvious means of getting home.

Unless she'd wandered off out of obvious eye-shot while the teachers were packing up, & no-one noticed her sitting quietly on a bench or somewhere...?

Also, if I just had a few year 7s, I'd take a moment during the activity to ask them how they were getting back.

Probably just a simple oversight, but a bit slack - if I'd done this I'd appreciate you quietly letting me know it had happened so I could keep an eye on the girl next time.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 29-Nov-14 13:11:43

Secondary is different to primary. If I were organising something after school, I would expect students to make their own way home, rather than wait with them in the classroom to be picked up.

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 13:13:11

Thanks raven, that's helpful. From what I can gather the teachers at the school are superb and give so much to the kids, Dd is so happy there. Was maybe a misunderstanding but I will quietly mention it in a nice way!

TheFallenMadonna Sat 29-Nov-14 13:14:36

Yes, I wouldn't leave the room with children still in it! That would be odd. I would expect them to be picked up from outside, and come back and tell me if there was a problem.

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 13:16:49

Is that the case no matter how young the children (ie 11 year olds) or how late the event Fallen, genuine question.

CromerSutra Sat 29-Nov-14 13:18:11

Sorry x post, yes, maybe that's the thing. Perhaps my dd and the one with no lift didn't know where to find the teacher if there was a problem.

PerpetualStudent Sat 29-Nov-14 13:23:48

I uses to work for a 10-14 youth theatre that ended around this time - we had a list of who was being picked up and who was allowed to go home alone and were incredibly careful about making sure we either caught a glance at each child's parent/pick up or that they came to tell us they were leaving so we could tick them off.
Lots of tiresome waiting around with kids who both they and we knew full well were totally capable of looking after themselves, but it was the way it was done.

I would mention this to the school big time.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 29-Nov-14 14:19:57

So, to my understanding of this:

You don't know if the teachers had left.
you don't know if they knew of the problem.
and you don't know what they would have done to sort it out if you hadn't taken control of the situation.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sat 29-Nov-14 14:21:46

It's a bit fussy imo. At age 11 - 12 I was seeing to myself with regards to getting home from school and school events. I thought this was normal?

EvilTwins Sat 29-Nov-14 14:28:12

I am a drama teacher. I wouldn't leave the building and go home until I knew all the kids had been picked up, but equally I wouldn't stay and watch them if I needed to go to get my bag from the office or wherever.

If this is not your child, then I don't think it's up to you to make a fuss. I would be pretty pissed off if I got a telling off because someone who was not in possession of all the facts complained. Doing a school show is a massive commitment and takes a hell of a lot of time (I shall be in school from 10-4 tomorrow rehearsing) so perhaps think about that before you contact the head to make a fuss about someone else's child whose parents were not there to pick them up.

LynetteScavo Sat 29-Nov-14 14:32:12

I think it's normal for y7s to wait outside school to be collected....never known a teacher wait with them until a parent showed up.

RoastitBubblyJocks Sat 29-Nov-14 14:58:26

YABU. So they're all 11-12? They can get themselves home at 630! Way too precious IMO.

RoastitBubblyJocks Sat 29-Nov-14 15:02:22

Are you the same poster on that thread a few weeks ago that when an OP questioned a 12 year old getting the bus at 430pm said they weren't mollycoddled as a child but her parents didn't allow her out after dark until 15 grin

PurpleSwift Sat 29-Nov-14 15:02:36

Yabu. In yr 7 a child is perfectly capable of returning to school and informing them if no one has picked them up, or making their own arrangements. My school was 2 miles away when I was that age. I would walk or get the bus.

ilovesooty Sat 29-Nov-14 15:03:16

I thought when I opened the thread that the event finished at 9pm or something.
I'd expect pupils that age to wait independently or walk home and I wouldn't be concerned at all as long as the building was still open.

pearpotter Sat 29-Nov-14 15:14:05

It does sound a bit remiss. DD1 is in Y5 now and won't won't turn 11 until the end of Y6, I would be horrified if she was potentially left on her own in the dark in a year's time and it's incredibly easy for there to be a mix up with arrangements. I wouldn't go in "all guns blazing" but I would want to find out what had happened.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 29-Nov-14 15:14:47

At 6.30 I would hope a year 7 was capable of getting themselves home. I suppose it depends if the journey is doable on public transport though.

My children go to high school in our local town, 5 minutes walk from the train station, 5 minutes on the train, then literally 2 minutes to our house. I have recently had issue with DD's friend's parents insisting on driving her home to our house after an evening activity.

DD is 15, more than capable of getting herself home, but they make a 10 mile round trip to our house, with a slightly martyred air and the implication we are slack parents for not picking her up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now