Talk

Advanced search

Yik yak

(12 Posts)
FuckitAndStartAgain Sat 29-Nov-14 11:16:57

...to wonder what other schools and colleges are doing about yik yak? It is causing some really nasty problems between young people and is very difficult to sort.

Gruntfuttock Sat 29-Nov-14 11:18:34

Huh? confused

stareatthetvscreen Sat 29-Nov-14 11:20:40

dd told me about this last week.her college have really cracked down - dd says quite a few people have been spoken to by the police.

Sirzy Sat 29-Nov-14 11:22:04

What is it?

FuckitAndStartAgain Sat 29-Nov-14 11:25:30

It is a locality based anonymous twitter type of app. It means that people can post and read posts within 1.5 miles of a determined locality. It is a a cowardly way of bullying and other rotten behaviour.

The app owners can geofence a school or college but I am not sure that stops usage over mobile networks.

GoringBit Sat 29-Nov-14 11:25:34

I'd never heard of it, but apps shyly it's an anonymous social media app. What could possibly go wrong? Here's a Wikipedia link... en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yik_Yak

GoringBit Sat 29-Nov-14 11:27:11

Link fail. Sorry. Idiot in charge a smartphone.

Anyway, it sounds like a terrible idea. No doubt it'll catch on like wildfire.

makati Sat 29-Nov-14 11:29:06

It's causing lots of problems at our local schools and colleges. Police are currently involved in one particular situation and the local sixth form college have said that anyone found to be using it to bully will be expelled.

Thumbwitch Sat 29-Nov-14 11:30:58

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yik_Yak - the geofencing seems to be primarily available in the USA, is it equally available in the UK?

Thumbwitch Sat 29-Nov-14 11:32:54

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29070335 apparently not quite yet but will be.

Thumbwitch Sat 29-Nov-14 11:34:01

What an utterly irresponsible fuckwitted idea those boys had. So glad they're going to make a heap of money out of it - I hope someone sues the arse off them at some point when their idea causes even more horrible social problems. angry

FuckitAndStartAgain Sat 29-Nov-14 12:04:01

It is causing so much grief, relationships breaking down, bullying, fights, misery all round. I am really hoping someone on here has an idea about how to eradicate it. All students are being warned and disciplinary action has started here.

Young peoples lives are being trashed as we have already had one permanent exclusion and there are more on the cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now