Talk

Advanced search

...to think she was taking the piss?

(16 Posts)
OfficeGrump Fri 28-Nov-14 21:50:20

Name changed as I suspect a colleague may be an MNer and see this.

Colleague A leaving for a new job, rest of team put £5 each into a collection. There are 8 or 9 of us who contribute, so £40-£45.

I wasn't around when the collection was discussed, but received an email asking for ideas. When I handed over my cash to Colleague B I didn't ask what 'we' had decided to buy with the cash, but assumed flowers, wine, gift card etc.

So it comes to the handing over of the gift and I still didn't know what it was. I asked the recipient later and it turns out to be cosmetics products that Colleague B sells (one of these network marketing things, think Avon but much more expensive).

Now I'm aware that the retail price of the items was a lot higher than the £45 collected, so Colleague B probably didn't make a profit on this (and will have thought she was doing a favour) but...

...she wouldn't have had time to order these products especially, so they'll have been taken from the stock she has to buy to keep up her order level for commission purposes

...I'm pretty sure Colleague A hasn't previously used the products (and Colleague B guessed at the correct foundation colour)

...at least 4 of the contributors were not aware this was the intended gift!

AIBU to think Colleague B was taking the piss here?

Andrewofgg Fri 28-Nov-14 21:51:41

YANBU. The first question is What Would A Want. If you don't know go for vouchers of some sort.

MammaTJ Fri 28-Nov-14 21:55:41

I think this is typical of the type of people who are brain washed sell this type of thing!

YANBU but I can't help but find it a little bit amusing! Sorry!

gamerchick Fri 28-Nov-14 21:57:56

Is that that yooneuqe (spelled like that on purpose) stuff I'm seeing all over y Facebook atm ?

She's probably taking the piss but it's like a brainwashing these things.. she genuinely probably feels she's done a good thing as well as shifting some stock.

AgentZigzag Fri 28-Nov-14 22:01:28

I suppose if you didn't ask and trusted B to get something then YAB a bit U.

She was even out of pocket, much worse if A had received something really inappropriate or that had cost less than the money given to her.

It's only £5 each, you're not going to have to work with A again, it's Christmas soon <irrelevant but exciting>

Are you having a secret santa?? grin

Quitelikely Fri 28-Nov-14 22:04:26

Fgs did you volunteer to go out and buy the gift? No I didn't think so.

Shush

Jolleigh Fri 28-Nov-14 22:09:22

Not entirely sure what the problem is here? There were obviously no particular ideas for the departing colleague, it was left to one woman to sort the gift. The woman actually gave her more than the collection's worth of products, matched to the departing colleague, and didn't make a profit on it.

LadyLuck10 Fri 28-Nov-14 22:14:22

What is the issue you have. Did you want to go but the gift personally? If not, then let it go.

OfficeGrump Fri 28-Nov-14 22:34:31

So consensus seems to be that IABU.

Fair enough, its not like I would have refused to contribute if I'd known in advance.

To answer some points raised... I wasn't in the office when collection was agreed so couldn't offer to take charge. Another colleague did make a suggestion of a charm for colleague's bracelet, but didn't get a response to her email suggestion. I disagree that the gift was matched to the recipient as I'm quite sure the recipient has never used the brand before (despite Colleague B's ever-present enthusiasm).

To add further context (sorry if considered drip-feeding) we've all also contributed to a 'special' birthday present for another colleague of a similar age to colleague A, which was agreed as a bottle of champagne and a gift voucher for a major store she shops at regularly.

Gamerchick - no, not younique - its the one that says its 'pure, safe and beneficial'

All things considered though, WIBU to insist that Colleague B is not left in charge of my gift if I leave before she does grin

gamerchick Fri 28-Nov-14 22:52:44

Arbonne ?

There's so much of this shizzle about now it's crackers.

KnackeredMuchly Sat 29-Nov-14 01:38:35

Yanbu, but I guess B has been suckered in and thinks the products are marvellous.

Next time, you should all jump to volunteer ahead of her

Christina22xx Sat 29-Nov-14 01:49:05

Im have a business of something similar and in my opinion i think she did profit via money and a potential new client.

differentnameforthis Sat 29-Nov-14 04:35:21

I have to go against the general consensus here...make up is too personal a gift to give to a colleague, not to mention the personal preference for colours etc, but it doesn't take into consideration skin allergies etc.

And I say that as someone who was given make up (albeit an expensive brand) as a leaving gift several years ago. 1] I do not wear make up, 2] they were really NOT my colours (blue mascara?) & 3] they irritated my skin! I gave most of it away!

For the 'giver' (the lady who collected the money) to give something from her collection is lazy! It smacks of little effort in both purchasing the gift & thought going into it.

Now I'm aware that the retail price of the items was a lot higher than the £45 collected Collegue B wouldn't have spent full retail on them anyway! And may have made a profit (I looked into buying a similar kit & it is nowhere near retail & you get a hefty discount on stock)

kinkytoes Sat 29-Nov-14 05:03:19

Feeling more sorry for colleague A here. This is the sort of thing one needs to buy oneself I think. She can always sell it on eBay I suppose, if it doesn't suit.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 29-Nov-14 05:26:35

YANBU even for close friends I wouldn't buy anything more complicated than mascara. A gift from colleagues should be generic flowers/wine/chocolates/vouchers or something the recipient would really like. My last colleague to retire had a fancy pen and was delighted, the one before had a selection of stuff suggested by her husband and daughter.

OfficeGrump Sat 29-Nov-14 11:39:23

Yes Christina I thought that about the potential new client. Wasn't sure if she'll have profitted in hard cash terms but was giving the benefit of the doubt although of course it may have got her a little closer to that long-promised white mercedes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now