Talk

Advanced search

To talk to myself?

(23 Posts)
wildswans Fri 28-Nov-14 21:23:38

I often 'talk' to myself, as in I debate what's going on, consider pros and cons of decisions etc. Essentially, I am thinking aloud, I think. But sometimes I wonder if this is 'normal' or not.....???!!

AgentZigzag Fri 28-Nov-14 21:44:10

Why do you think people keep dogs/cats wink

Ours are much better decision makers than me.

I think most people say stuff out loud every now and then, it's when you get old start forgetting to switch it off when you're out in public that it gets a tad embarrassing grin

ThursdayLast Fri 28-Nov-14 21:46:21

You could be describing me wildswans!
I'm almost glad to drag DS around Tesco so it looks like I'm talking to someone

EatShitDezza Fri 28-Nov-14 21:47:38

I talk to myself as well!

I also make songs up about what ever I am doing.

The hamster is fed up of hearing my voice

ThursdayLast Fri 28-Nov-14 22:00:45

I also have rather impressive arguments with people who aren't there.

DramaAlpaca Fri 28-Nov-14 22:03:09

I talk to myself all the time blush.

Glad it's not just me.

Pipbin Fri 28-Nov-14 22:05:27

I do it all the time. At one point when I has spent about two days alone I found myself chatting away and making two cups of tea!

AgentZigzag Fri 28-Nov-14 22:07:57

If I have to say something to someone that I know they won't like I have to have a bit of a rehearsal out loud.

Basically it's me ranting to myself whilst furiously scrubbing the bathroom grin

MrsCosmopilite Fri 28-Nov-14 22:09:28

I do, and then ask myself why I'm talking to myself.

ThursdayLast Fri 28-Nov-14 22:10:17

Yes agent!
And washing up!

Letthemtalk Fri 28-Nov-14 22:12:47

As long as you keep making sense it's not a problem. That's what my mum always said anyway.

Jolleigh Fri 28-Nov-14 22:14:30

I do that Agent! Really helps me hash out my points if I know I'll be having a difficult conversation. I've been at it for hours tonight smile.

Floggingmolly Fri 28-Nov-14 22:16:40

It's not normal at all; but I do it anyway... I'm always getting caught actually, and the reactions are far from complimentary. So glad I'm not alone grin

Annunziata Fri 28-Nov-14 22:19:21

As long as you get the right answer grin

AgentZigzag Fri 28-Nov-14 22:26:32

Glad it's not just me grin

Anything you'd like to share Jolleigh? MN is great at coming up with scathing remarks...

ouryve Fri 28-Nov-14 22:27:56

I talk myself through doing things. I forget what I was doing, otherwise.

AmIthatHot Fri 28-Nov-14 22:34:18

I do it all the time and don't agree that it's not normal. I think it is perfectly normal.

Anyway, I have no DP, so have no-one else to sound off to. And I always agree with myself grin

SwedishEdith Fri 28-Nov-14 22:34:31

All the time, always have. Runs in the family but I think I've got it in control in public. Sometimes I can't wait to get away from people so I can have a more interesting conversation with myself.

Wh0dathunkit Sat 29-Nov-14 00:55:26

I caught myself telling myself off for talking to myself. I promptly got a cat smile

I still do it in the office (I work with a team of people who talk to themselves) and in the supermarket... and the older I get, the less I care except when I bump into mates in the supermarket mid rant about tinned potatoes

Jolleigh Sat 29-Nov-14 03:44:18

Just a friend with benefits who's become more hassle than he's worth Agent. Got my speech down to a T for when he decides I'm seeing someone else (I'm not). It really did take me ages to make sure I'd covered everything that needed saying. I was gesticulating like a mad woman too grin.

Solo Sat 29-Nov-14 04:03:51

It's normal I think and I do it all the time! Sometimes I can't even remember what I've asked myself or I'm talking about though!! grin.
I also answer myself ~ assuming I know what I've asked!!

TOADfan Sat 29-Nov-14 05:04:53

I thought everyone talked to themselves.
I can barely think of a time in the day whenI'm alone and I'm not.

I did get asked in work the other day "do you always talk to yourself?" Why yes I do.

If people don't talk to themselves is flit justquite for them all day? I can't imagine anyone who doesn't or how it would even be possible.

wildswans Sat 29-Nov-14 06:12:07

Thank you for your replies. I am soooo grateful that, normal or not, I am definitely not alone!!! I also talk to my dog, but that's different; he understands me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now