Talk

Advanced search

About people being early...

(71 Posts)
Tutteredboast Fri 28-Nov-14 21:03:26

Have a relative calling later who I know will be early. It's fine today as I am anticipating it and have time, so will be ready, but it got me thinking.
Why are some people always early? I don't mean for a doctors appt, or a job interview, which is fine. I mean calling round socially.
DM is always early and can be sniffy if I'm not ready. It always makes me stressed.
Anyone else have this? Or are you an early person?

Memphisbelly Fri 28-Nov-14 21:07:07

Yes also drives me mad, FIL turns up early on a Sunday morning and looks at me gone out when I am not dressed, even when we say do not come before 9am he appears early.

Used to be worse 7am on a sunday morning until I put my foot down. He also used to call up and ask if we were up for a visit anf thrn while he was still on phone knock the door! shock

Luckily apart from IL's no one turns up here early (for fear of my wrath I imagine grin)

wheresthelight Fri 28-Nov-14 21:08:08

I would rather people were early than late to be honest

ThursdayLast Fri 28-Nov-14 21:08:59

It would drive me mad too. Not as bad as being late though, I can't bear that.

I'm always embarrassingly right on time. Always makes me feel like such a nerd.

nancy75 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:12:00

I am often early because I can not be late. If I am going to a persons house I will often wait in the car outside rather than actually going in.

I hate being late and strongly dislike lateness in others

Tutteredboast Fri 28-Nov-14 21:12:20

Right on time is perfect IMO.
7am, Memphis, that's terrible!!!

usualsuspect333 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:13:32

I'm often early. I can't help it, being late makes me stressed.

GraceFox Fri 28-Nov-14 21:14:51

Who wants visitors 7am on a Sunday?!

Actually 9am is far too early too...

MoonAndBackAgain Fri 28-Nov-14 21:15:28

I am guilty of this, I am always early but I suffer with anxiety and get really panicky about being on time.

Everyone has been fine about it and if they are not ready I usually just watch some TV or play with the dog until they are.

ThursdayLast Fri 28-Nov-14 21:16:11

Well I hope we're friends then tut!

I have a friend who is always where we say we're going to be earlier than me. She's the only person I know who seems to give a shit.

Memphisbelly Fri 28-Nov-14 21:18:50

Glad you see my point about that early on a Sunday grin ...apparently I am unreasonable for not being the perfect host at that time.

sillymillyb Fri 28-Nov-14 21:20:10

I'm sorry, I am always early, I can't help it - being late gives me the fear.

If we were meeting at 2pm, and I was there after 1:50, I'd be panicking. In my head it's always the time minus 10 mins. I sit in the car till that point grin

cinders456 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:21:08

My family are notoriously late and dh and his family are guaranteed to be early, which really grates on me! Equally, it winds him up that we're a late bunch. Match made in heaven! ;)

nancy75 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:36:56

sillymillyb - I feel exactly the same, if I am not 10 minutes early I feel like I am late!

sillymillyb Fri 28-Nov-14 21:42:47

High fives nancy grin

Jcee Fri 28-Nov-14 21:44:29

I agree that right on time is perfect. Turning up too early (especially to someone's house) is as bad as turning up late IMO.

PIL do this, we recently invited them round for lunch at 1 and they turned up at 11.45 because they were ready and there's no point in hanging about waiting to go at the right time...hmm

alemci Fri 28-Nov-14 21:49:13

in laws are like this. I find it very irritating. to me it's because they have nothing better to do.

lavenderhoney Fri 28-Nov-14 21:49:19

My mil used to turn up too early until she burst on and I was ironing in my pants. And I didn't panic. " gosh you're early mil. Fancy getting the Hoover out? Ooh- pass me that sheet would you?"

She was always on time after that. And always knocked and waitedsmile

ireallydontlikemonday Fri 28-Nov-14 21:52:03

Late is worse.

Memphisbelly Fri 28-Nov-14 21:54:34

Lavenderhoney I need to do that if it will stop my inlaws just appearing grin

BlueGreenHazelGreen Fri 28-Nov-14 21:57:42

I hate people who arrive at my house early. If you arrive on time, I'll be ready and smiling. If you arrive early I'm probably not dressed yet and will be embarrassed & and annoyed.

Meeting in a public place? Be as early as you like. At my house? Park up the road a bit out if sight until you are on time.

WerewolfBarMitzvah Fri 28-Nov-14 21:58:49

Ha lavender that's one way of getting through to people!

Everyone in our family is always late. I'm an on-timer. The one time we turned up 20 minutes late to PILs due to unforeseen circumstances, we got such a hard time! We had texted. Grr. Residual rage.

ThursdayLast Fri 28-Nov-14 21:59:41

My in laws don't bother to specify a time. Or knock. angry

iamthenewgirl Fri 28-Nov-14 21:59:59

10 minutes before is okay.

Mind you, we had friends come for lunch and they were 1.5 hours early! No make up on and hair standing on end trying to cook. Was quite annoyed. That's rude in my opinion.

spiderlight Fri 28-Nov-14 22:00:47

We once arrived to stay with the inlaws a whole day early - now that was embarrassing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now