Talk

Advanced search

Tom Archer has had a person transplant

(39 Posts)
Figmentofmyimagination Fri 28-Nov-14 19:19:35

How can they do this - and he sounds confusingly just like new character johnnie. I'm going to have to stop listening - especially as the real Tom was reputedly sacked for not having gone to stage school, even though he has been working as an actor for 10+ years. What are they thinking?

simbacatlivesagain Fri 28-Nov-14 19:34:42

Hasnt Pip had one as well- indeed changed gender?

daisychain01 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:18:45

YANBU - it's outrageous, it completely destroys credibility having someone turn up after an absence and sounds completely unconvincing as Tom, who's been around for years. The SW should be shot!

MogTheForgetfulCat Fri 28-Nov-14 20:20:53

I dip in and out of the Archers and have to wait for the characters to call each other by their names (which, helpfully, they do allllll the time) to know who is who shock. Tsk.

MogTheForgetfulCat Fri 28-Nov-14 20:21:19

Yanbu, btw.

PinkSquash Fri 28-Nov-14 20:22:39

YANBU. Canada doesn't change a person that much.

WoTmania Fri 28-Nov-14 20:24:45

YANBU I'm thoroughly unimpressed with The Archers at the moment

SomethingFunny Fri 28-Nov-14 20:25:25

YANBU. He's an imposter!

CuttedUpPear Fri 28-Nov-14 20:27:23

Join us here for more complaining, statistic bodging and general asides.

Buttercupsanddaisys Fri 28-Nov-14 20:28:08

Just as long as Bartleby doesn't start clopping a fandango a la Strictly, just to be 'on trend'.

All bloody diabolical, isn't it? I never thought I'd ever say this, but....bring back VWconfused

Summerisle1 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:29:23

I've only just got used to the new Mike. And now it looks very much like he's for the chop. But yes, only this week it occurred to me that we had the wrong Pip Archer and now this new Tom just takes the biscuit.

Very unimpressed by The Archers at the moment. Far too many increasingly improbable plots running at the same time. Starting with the sale of Brookfield.

cricketpitch Fri 28-Nov-14 20:35:49

I listened for decades and then it just got sillier and sillier. Shame. Stopped caring after the Nigel and the roof fiasco which was so contrived and dreadful. Dipped in and out if I happened to catch it but couldn't stand some of the characters including the dreadful Jolene and Helen. (Don't know if they are still in it even); and the string of deaths were depressing so I just stopped.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 28-Nov-14 20:54:37

wrong tom. wrong pip, wrong tony. grr, very annoying.

TheRainInTheWoods Fri 28-Nov-14 21:04:01

I agree with the person I heard complaining about The Archers on the radio the other day. I tune in for the generally quiet daily turnover of events in Ambridge, not melodrama.

I'll never switch off, I admit, it's printed into me as a daily routine. However, the only storyline I'm finding credible and interesting at the moment is that of Rob's stealth encroachment into the Archer household. I liked Johnny's storyline too (until bullgate). I also enjoyed Daniel's story with the army. The rest are all too lurid imo.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Fri 28-Nov-14 22:27:16

Hello, you dozen or so! I second CuttedUpPear's invitation to join Pseudo's threads on TA in the Radio Addicts section. We've had dozens of them by now. Current one is www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts/a2245718-The-Archers-Its-not-about-the-money-money-money-think-about-Jills-honey-honey-honey-Justin-wants-to-farm-by-satnav-forget-about-the-prize-tag?msgid=51003239#51003239.

I feel a little bit sorry for Will Troughton as it is not his fault that the BBC has taken leave of its senses and re-cast the role of Tom with an actor who happens to be the son of another new actor. But Tom Graham is the one I mainly feel sorry for.

HumblePieMonster Fri 28-Nov-14 22:30:59

I can't believe all this. I got bored after Nigel died, and dipped in occasionally until Helen took up with someone's husband. Now they've replaced half the cast?

I was thinking of buying a new radio but now I don't think I'll bother!

daisychain01 Fri 28-Nov-14 22:32:25

Also, what about wrong Clarrie Grundy?!!! That was the final straw but I still can't resist Sunday morning omnibus smile

FindoGask Fri 28-Nov-14 22:32:33

I think the new Tom is a vast improvement. Couldn't bear his previous incarnation's whiny voice.

TheRainInTheWoods Fri 28-Nov-14 22:33:29

Buy the new radio anyway. We just got a digital signal here. Much excitement; the corks were popping, I can tell you.

If only for The News Quiz? grin

daisychain01 Fri 28-Nov-14 22:37:43

You and me both therain. I moved from an area where there was a reasonable DAB signal to an area where you could only just get Radio 4 FM! Immediately rendering my 5 DABs obsolete.

Thank goodness several new transmitters were installed in this area about 6 months ago, so now I get loads of stations plus LBC went national so I get a nice bit of chat as well

I ❤️ Radio esp PURE

TheRainInTheWoods Fri 28-Nov-14 23:07:23

Yes! We have 4 PUREs around the house and I like them a lot. We moved too and it was a moment of absolute horror when I realised FM was my only option.

We were fanatical about checking broadband speeds before we even made offers on houses... not remembering to check digital coverage!

unitarian Sat 29-Nov-14 01:33:43

Tell me more about PURE please. Is it a solution to our problem?
I live in a place where we can't get a radio signal at all and have to rely on dodgy broadband. It drives me mad when it crashes in the middle of something I'm listening to.

TheRainInTheWoods Sat 29-Nov-14 14:08:03

Have you a digital signal? If you have, PURE is one of lots of different digital radios you can get.

The interface is simple, the sound quality is excellent and they look nice too. They last and last too. My oldest is 7yo now and still looks and sounds like new.

A couple of down sides imo though. I bought one with two speakers (the rest of ours have only one) and I can't tell the difference in sound tbh. Also, I like my radio on the kitchen worktop and the later models have a sticky outy power cable so you can't sit them back flush against the wall. They protude a little too far. Minor gripes but annoying nonetheless.

If you have digital coverage, I do think they are the very best. Not cheap but not outrageously expensive either, especially if you live with R4 on all the time like we do!

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 29-Nov-14 15:10:03

I second PURE, too. I have two. One for the kitchen that I've had a fair few years. It still sounds and looks as good as new. The other is smaller and for use in the bedroom. I think the look of the PURE radios is great and they sound good, too. I don't like being in my car where I only have FM grin.

JamNan Sat 29-Nov-14 15:25:21

I got used to the new Clarrie but the roof/Nigel incident put me off and I stopped listening. I dip in now and again and DH tells me what's going on but it's all so improbable these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now