Talk

Advanced search

To think wanting to live in the area you grew up in is normal?

(98 Posts)
Fallingovercliffs Fri 28-Nov-14 15:12:24

I've just seen someone on another thread say, in passing, that a man who has bought a house a few minutes away from where his parents live must have issues?
I live about ten minutes drive from my mother. Loads of people I know have bought houses and brought up families in the area where they grew up and went to school.
AIBU to think there is nothing wrong with liking the place you grew up and having family living nearby and to use this as a criteria when choosing where to buy a house?

Ohfourfoxache Fri 28-Nov-14 15:15:31

Depends on the area - and the family grin

LadyLuck10 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:17:11

Totally depends on the area and circumstances you're in.

Jackie0 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:17:38

Doesn't it just ohfour? wink
I ran as far as I could

DustInTheWind Fri 28-Nov-14 15:17:39

Used to be normal, decades ago, and be weird if you went abroad or hundreds of miles way to live.
Does depend on the family and areaa, just as fox says. smile

kickassangel Fri 28-Nov-14 15:18:42

Lots of people do, but also lots of people don't. I think if an adult couldn't function if they moved further than 10 minutes from their parents then there could be issues, but the reverse could also be true.

I live 4000 miles from 'home'.

Fallingovercliffs Fri 28-Nov-14 15:19:48

Sorry, when I said 'normal' I meant as in 'not particularly strange or unusual'.

ReggieJones Fri 28-Nov-14 15:20:23

I think it massively varies from person to person. I've lived in three different areas since leaving home and consider the area I'm living in now as home. I also considered my University city home and can't imagine moving back to where I grew up having now lived in much nicer places. It would be nice to live nearer family but I don't think I miss out too much as the distance isn't too bad. The area I grew up doesn't have many jobs unless you're willing to do quite a long commute so for a lot of young people it makes sense to move out.

treaclesoda Fri 28-Nov-14 15:20:33

I think it's perfectly normal to be happy to live in the area where you grew up. Definitely nothing weird about it.

Also perfectly normal to want to live elsewhere.

MyDogSnoopy Fri 28-Nov-14 15:21:43

Ok if that's what you want. I couldn't think of a worse place to live.

MrsPiggie Fri 28-Nov-14 15:26:49

It's not weird, but it really depends on circumstances. Someone might leave home at 18, see a few places, live in various places and ten years later decide they like their home town best. Perfect. Others never set foot outside their county except for maybe going to uni and can't wait to come back home - this to me is a bit sad. Not weird, just sad.

Mehitabel6 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:30:31

Nothing wrong in it but you have to go to where the work is.

DoJo Fri 28-Nov-14 15:32:18

I don't find it odd when people stay or return to the area in which they grew up, but I do find it strange when people seem to only have friends with whom they went to school. Having worked in a couple of areas where that seems to be quite common, it seems to lead to fairly fractious relationships between people who have only their age and area of birth in common, and who hang out with each other through lack of alternatives rather than because they genuinely enjoy each other's company.
Nothing odd about living where you grew up though - there's often not much incentive to leave if you have everything you need where you already are!

ThereisnoFinWay Fri 28-Nov-14 15:32:25

It's not weird no, but very few of my friends have done it, most live a long way from home (an hour plus drive).

Fallingovercliffs Fri 28-Nov-14 15:32:49

Oh I agree it's not always possible or desirable to remain in the place where you grew up - depending on job opportunities, family relations and whether or not it's actually a nice place to live.
I just found it strange that someone would assume that anyone buying a house near family and where they grew up must automatically have 'issues'.

Theorientcalf Fri 28-Nov-14 15:34:21

It depends.

Most people I know went away to uni and never came back. The people that stayed had children very young (think teenage) and are still there.

A lot of people I know don't live near their parents, we didn't until recently and now we've moved near DH's. But mine live quite a way away. You can't necessarily be near both sets.

I do find it a little bit sad when people don't go anywhere ever, there's a lot to see out there. I know of people that haven't even been out the county!

AGnu Fri 28-Nov-14 15:35:09

I'd love to live near my family. I'm the only one of my siblings to live more than 20 minutes from my parents. My DC don't get to see their cousins very often & on days like today bad news I'd give anything to be able to just pop round for a cuppa so we could all be together.

Having said that, there's nothing that would make me actually want to live in that area again. I had no friends at school & can't stand the idea of going back & seeing all those same people on a daily basis. I love the friends I have now. Just need to persuade my entire family to up-sticks & move closer to me! grin

BackforGood Fri 28-Nov-14 15:37:25

But why is it sad to like yout home town ? confused

raltheraffe Fri 28-Nov-14 15:38:21

I actually want to buy the exact house I grew up in when it comes on the market.

PurpleSwift Fri 28-Nov-14 15:39:36

I think it's more normal to want to be close to your family. I have no emotional attachments to the town I grew up in but I don't want to live too far from my family. I'd happily live 500mils from here if I had family there.

LikeSilver Fri 28-Nov-14 15:42:07

Nothing wrong with it at all and I don't understand what the 'issues' are? That said, I couldn't wait to get out and move away, and like having to arrange to see family, but different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm one of four girls and two of us have always lived in our hometown and wouldn't think to move away while myself and my other sister wanted to be elsewhere (this sister in fact couldn't go far away enough and moved to New Zealand, ha).

sunsetoverdrive Fri 28-Nov-14 15:46:04

I think a lot of families move out to safe home towns when their dc grow older, where it is quiet and has cheaper housing/good schools but doesn't have a lot for young adults to do, or often many jobs. Most of my uni friends went to big cities to work after graduation - I moved back to London where I grew up. I was unusual amongst them they'd all grown up in small provincial towns where they weren't interested in living in as adults. It was lucky for me as I was able to live at home during internships, and get free childcare which they're quite envious about now. In some ways life was tougher as a teenager growing up in the inner city, but it's definitely ended up being more of an advantage for me now.

DidoTheDodo Fri 28-Nov-14 15:46:19

No. I couldn't wait to get away and although have moved around the country several times, have never, ever wanted to go back. My family are still they - they are great - but the area appeals not one jot.

cheesecakemom Fri 28-Nov-14 15:56:28

I think it's not normal - at least for me. I would want to experience something else then return if I wanted to.

angelos02 Fri 28-Nov-14 16:01:14

Nothing wrong with wanting to live where you grew up but the reality for many is that for getting work, they have to move. No-one I was friends with at school lives in the city we grew up in for that very reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now