Talk

Advanced search

Appalled by Black Friday - do a little something for charity instead. [title edited by MNHQ]

(29 Posts)
Lucyccfc Fri 28-Nov-14 11:34:24

I know there is already a thread about this and the appalling scenes in some stores.

However, let's see if we can't turn today into something more positive.

I have started a collection for our local food bank this week and friends in Cardiff and North London have also decided to do this. My DS's football team are involved, our local gym, my neighbours and a host of friends. We have already collected 12 bags full of food in the last 3 days.

We have also started to spread the word about our Christmas initiative - Secret Santa OR Feed a Family. This is where you don't buy a secret Santa gift at work, but you spend the money on food and donate to your local food bank.

How many others would like to join us in helping out people who are really struggling at this time of the year?

Thanks

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 28-Nov-14 11:39:29

How is this relevant to Black Friday? confused

Lucyccfc Fri 28-Nov-14 11:42:34

There is a lovely saying 'if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing'.

Black Friday has been a hugely negative experience for a lot of people. Fights, arguments, pushing, shoving and people really not being nice. So, I wanted to see if something positive could come out of today.

beautyfades Fri 28-Nov-14 11:42:47

I would love to but really struggling this year. I actually feel sick at the thought! Although me and the dc did make shoe boxes up for them to take into school.

Lucyccfc Fri 28-Nov-14 11:44:17

Beauty fades. The shoe boxes are a great idea.

I am struggling, due to being made redundant, but I have involved other people in this, which has meant a huge collection.

dirkdiggler1 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:51:43

It's been a nighmare trying to get on some websites this morning to get the deals.

dirkdiggler1 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:52:02

*nightmare

Neverbuyheliumbalonz Fri 28-Nov-14 11:53:47

I am also confused as to what this has to do with Black Friday?

Neverbuyheliumbalonz Fri 28-Nov-14 11:55:22

But obviously the idea of helping others can only be good!

MrsHathaway Fri 28-Nov-14 12:14:23

This thread won't necessarily attract people who'd be interested in joining in. How about requesting a change (report your OP) to something like "Appalled by Black Friday? Want to join in with a charitable project instead?"

Coconutty Fri 28-Nov-14 12:18:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lucyccfc Fri 28-Nov-14 12:20:40

Great idea Mrs x

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 28-Nov-14 12:33:15

I said nothing "not" nice. I simply pointed out that your title is misleading. Get over yourself and if you're such a ball of positive energy use a positive title and go easy on the !!!!

Lucyccfc Fri 28-Nov-14 14:21:10

Mis-leading?

It got you to look at the thread grumpy pants.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 28-Nov-14 14:48:12

Yes! It purported to be about one thing and turned out to be about something else.

That's just not cricket.

It won't attract the right posters anyway. People who are interested on helping others at Christmas will click on threads ABOUT that.

People who want to jeer at BF will click on threads about that!

AND OP was ruder to me than I to her.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 28-Nov-14 14:49:55

I already donate to foodbanks and give Christmas Gifts to the local council for young people in care ad care leavers

It's nice to flag up the idea OP but you are being rather rude and argumentative - well done for giving but try to find a little calm x

HellKitty Fri 28-Nov-14 14:51:17

Well I'm sure that's just lovely but I donate to charities of my choice throughout the year.

26Point2Miles Fri 28-Nov-14 14:52:46

Gosh what's wrong with MN lately?

LadyLuck10 Fri 28-Nov-14 14:53:26

Hugely negative experience of pushing and fighting confused but that's of their own doing not something that happened out of their control.

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Nov-14 14:56:22

It's a good idea but everyone I know who has kids, are donating to food banks/charities through their local schools.

I sent mine in with some elderly care packages we made up yesterday.

ChickenMe Fri 28-Nov-14 14:56:58

There are a load of food banks around at the moment-at local supermarkets.
I'm preg so I gave them a load of booze we got given/won. Not sure if that's a good or bad deed tho!!grin

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Nov-14 14:58:59

What I would really like to see in every single supermarket, are food bank bins.

Very occasionally my local Asda has one and you get a printed list of things they need the most.

I've only ever seen it twice though.

EauRouge Fri 28-Nov-14 15:03:24

There are food bank bins and a bin for the local animal shelter at our local Sainsbo. The DDs love getting cat food for the animal shelter. I'm not going anywhere near a shop today though!

We've been rounding up a few things for The Rucksack Project.

Samcro Fri 28-Nov-14 15:09:13

i don't want to "help" a charity
what a smug op

fluffling Fri 28-Nov-14 15:14:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now