Talk

Advanced search

to come here and overshare by telling you all that today I ...

(83 Posts)
crapcrapcrapcrap Fri 28-Nov-14 10:55:09

... had my smear test and it was NOT THAT BAD and took just a moment - truly it was over in a flash.

Do it ladies smile

Mammanat222 Fri 28-Nov-14 10:59:04

I am fine with them, even let a student have a go last time (after the nurse did it)

Due mine this month but will have to wait until after baby arrives in Jan.

I've never found them a problem and yes urge anyone who is due one or has any concerns to book today.

crapcrapcrapcrap Fri 28-Nov-14 11:05:56

The nurse is a pro, honestly it was so quick and only a tiny bit uncomfortable, not sore. I know everyone has a different experience of them but really it's such a brief moment in time to safeguard your health.

Mmolly2013 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:06:15

im 24 still havent had one yet. BUt ive just had a baby so i think they might invite me soon

good to know it was ok

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 28-Nov-14 11:14:00

Well done, O.P.
But in my experience I think I must be the only women in the world that has a problem with them everyone that I know just seems to able to go and have one with no problems but me I would need a general anesthetic.
My last was in 97 and I was shaking and sobbing. I remember the nurse was lovely and she said. We'd think you were odd if you liked this. It was horrendos. I don't want be a scare mongerer and it was no doubt worse for me because I clamed up.
I'm just not comfortable with foreign bodies going up there, I know what would happen this time. They'd come over to me with that big horrible metal thing and I just run out the hospital. I'm such a bloody wimp

Slutbucket Fri 28-Nov-14 11:15:27

My first smear was horrendous so when I had my second smear I was understandably nervous. When it went without a hitch I turned to the
Doctor and said "that was nice". I remember doctor kind of looking at me like WTF. I made a sharpish exit... blush

crapcrapcrapcrap Fri 28-Nov-14 11:28:20

Great thread to choose for horror stories hmm

It's a small plastic speculum, lubricated, and while nobody's going to like it it isn't the awful experience that our minds can turn it into beforehand. And staff are used to people being nervous so it's ok to tell them you're worried. It is really so quick, just a few seconds, and very much worth it.

BedPig2013 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:31:47

Not had one yet, only 22 but is it recommended that you have one after you've had dc?

motherofmonster Fri 28-Nov-14 11:34:25

It is fine and over quick, and tbh its not that big anyway...or maybe ive just been lucky in my personal life grin

cherrybombxo Fri 28-Nov-14 11:39:04

I'm Scottish so we get them from 20. I put mine off for two years but it really wasn't anything like as bad as I'd expected. I'm probably due one next year actually...

MrsDermotOLeary Fri 28-Nov-14 11:43:02

I had one yesterday and was dreading it.

It was fine. Slightly odd feeling but fine. I've had smears before and always go to my appointments. I have three kids, I owe it to them to get checked out.

afreshstartplease Fri 28-Nov-14 11:44:42

I really need one I've been putting it off for two years

wobblyweebles Fri 28-Nov-14 11:46:33

My recent one was fine too. I had CIN3 at 26 so am grateful to be offered them.

Rollermum Fri 28-Nov-14 11:47:51

I think they changed the way they do it - that's what the nurse told me.

My first was bad but the second, with new plastic thing was absolutely fine. I did cry and wobble at her and she was really kind.

ChangedToday Fri 28-Nov-14 11:50:40

Just had one and it was fine. I think it can differ a bit depending on who does it as well. I have had ok and uncomfortable ones - well it's never going to be just fun. But having had relatives diagnosed when it was too late I never miss an invitation for a smear now. Other countries do them more frequently than 3 years so go and get one when you can!

Maroonie Fri 28-Nov-14 11:51:28

I've never had a problem with it and I know some people feel differently but surely identifying a possible problem as early as you can minimises the future treatments/procedures you might need?

allypally999 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:53:19

Do NOT refuse to go for these ladies it can literally save your life .. I've been going for 30+ years and its never sore, just a wee bit uncomfortable ... try to relax and think of something else then go have coffee and cake (and I've had a bad result and treatment and that wasn't too bad either but if I hadn't been going - well who knows!)

AlpacaLypse Fri 28-Nov-14 11:59:05

A smear test saved my life, cancerous cells were found but in plenty of time for a quick operation. Since then I've had two children and no sign of a return of the cancer.

By far the worst thing about the operation was that during the run-up to full anaesthesia, I was given valium as a pre-med, and while under its influence I propositioned the amazingly good looking young surgeon... I was totally mortified when I recovered!

whois Fri 28-Nov-14 12:16:06

Totally fine. Over in a few seconds.

Don't be an idiot with your health and put it off!

Lomega Fri 28-Nov-14 12:19:02

I don't know what the fuss is about to be honest. Just make an appointment, go get it done, and it's over then for a good long time. Then again I don't care about medical professionals seeing my bits any more after childbirth and having my IUD fitted

afreshstartplease Fri 28-Nov-14 12:19:11

I might bite the bullet and book one

Sidge Fri 28-Nov-14 12:21:19

BedPig no you aren't due one yet - regardless of whether you've had babies or not you will be invited from about age 24.5. Cervical screening starts from age 25 but they tend to call you up to 6 months before your 25th birthday.

Of course if a woman has irregular symptoms before she is 25 she should still see her GP - bleeding between periods, bleeding after sex, abnormal discharge and pelvic pain all need investigating but a smear is a screening procedure not an investigative procedure.

crapcrapcrapcrap Fri 28-Nov-14 12:25:12

Hopefully most of this thread will offer some reassurance to anyone feeling anxious about this. I also had my flu jab in the same appointment and that hurt more! I'm always blown away by how swift and simple it is - and it could save your life.

Dowahdiddydiddydumdiddydo Fri 28-Nov-14 12:29:45

My first one was absolutely fine, so I went into my second one feeling no nerves at all. It really hurt, and I bled for three days afterwards (just spotting on the second and third day). I presume that the second nurse was probably just a bit rubbish at them/tired that day etc, but it has made me more cautious about being so blasé. Definitely will still be going when I'm scheduled though.

HesterShaw Fri 28-Nov-14 12:32:35

"I've never found them a problem and yes urge anyone who is due one or has any concerns to book today."

I know you meant well with that statement but if anyone has a "thing" about smear tests and won't book one because of the fear, you "urging" them will not make the blindest bit of difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now