Talk

Advanced search

to think someone at the Tower of London must have realised hosting a dinner for the arms trade days after the poppy memorial might seem insensitive?

(12 Posts)
kim147 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:31:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bodhranbae Thu 27-Nov-14 22:46:22

YANBU

It is despicable - but then most things pertaining to the arms trade are.

I met an arms dealer once. Unsurprisingly he was an absolute shit.

ArsenicSoup Thu 27-Nov-14 22:49:35

It depends how you view defence/war, I suppose.

'Arms trade' is very emotive. The defence industry helps to save many millions of lives.

Even UN peacekeepers need guns.

kim147 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:52:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iggi999 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:53:14

The arms trade saves lives.

Rofl.
Except it's not a laughing matter.

ArsenicSoup Thu 27-Nov-14 23:04:31

Maybe a slightly odd choice.

The Heritage sector is one I am familiar with though, and 99% of these places are run like giant conference centres with heritage interpretation an almost secondary concern <cynical old bag>. It doesn't remotely surprise me.

Historical Royal Palaces is a distinctly disneyfied outfit. Really very commercial. It is only the public and history lovers who think of the T of L as a national treasure; The people running of it think of it is a commercial venue.

Undertone Thu 27-Nov-14 23:18:08

Most people in the forces have no problems with companies like BAE or Boeing or Lockheed. Many ex service people go to work there when they retire. Why shouldn't they have their dinner next to a memorial of the fallen?

I'll never get my head around people who think the manufacturers are the ones doing the killing and that they should be the ones who should take responsibility. It's like blaming Stella Artois for someone who falls over when pissed and who knocks their teeth out.

nocoolnamesleft Thu 27-Nov-14 23:21:44

I don't have any time for arms dealers...but the Tower of London started as a fortress built by a group of invaders, to help intimidate the native population...

JanineStHubbins Thu 27-Nov-14 23:25:40

The arms industry isn't good for the UK, unless your only criteria is sheer profit.

This dinner is just the latest manifestation of militarism, not much different to events of a century ago.

mimishimmi Thu 27-Nov-14 23:36:32

I don't think they feel bad ...

Iggi999 Thu 27-Nov-14 23:43:04

Stella Artois can be drunk responsibly and without incident. It's primary purpose is not to make you fall over and get hurt. The comparison you need is much closer to that of a drug dealer, encouraging sales in the knowledge that the stuff will harm you.
I don't think there are many truly evil things in this world, but the arms trade is one of them.

Iggi999 Thu 27-Nov-14 23:43:57

I had always heard the trade was heavily subsidised by the tax payer as well, is that not true?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now