Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not have known that....

(35 Posts)
DuchessofNorks Thu 27-Nov-14 21:23:09

.... the Channel Tunnel was actually tunnelled into the bedrock under the seabed and isn't just a pipe on the seabed? blush

I genuinely thought they had just dug under and out into the sea and plugged a pipe in there....

Hassled Thu 27-Nov-14 21:25:09

Ah well, I know that now. But for years I thought if I could look out I'd see fish.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Thu 27-Nov-14 21:25:17

Not this again. The clue's in the bloody name...

MammaTJ Thu 27-Nov-14 21:25:47

Hmm, they did explain a lot at the time about how it was being done! Did you miss all that?

Having said that, I will never travel that way due to fears of drowning when things go wrong. It couldn't really happen but I am too scared anyway!

WorraLiberty Thu 27-Nov-14 21:29:02

I'm old enough to remember the old PG Tips ad, where the chimps were digging the tunnel and ended up in the middle of someone's lawn blush

"This aint blinkin Calais, this is blinkin Catford" grin

Youtube link for those who wish to reminisce

DuchessofNorks Thu 27-Nov-14 21:54:44

grin Worra

MammaTJ I was only 7 when it opened blush Hassled I thought that too! I was so excited about that part.... sad

Lighten up TimeFor - I'm not the only one apparently. I'm suure there are plenty of things people don't know which are blaringly obvious to others wink

MajesticWhine Thu 27-Nov-14 21:58:33

I did not know that. But I hadn't really thought about it. Thanks for the info.

BreeVDKamp Thu 27-Nov-14 22:00:23

Don't worry Duchess I didn't know that either! Aplarently it was completed in 1994 - I was only 4 so pardon me if I wasn't aware of the the news around that time haha! grin

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Thu 27-Nov-14 22:02:22

I had to explain this to DD about 18mo ago. Cue much confused. Ended up drawing diagrams <geek>

Showy Thu 27-Nov-14 22:03:21

Lots of MNers don't know this. Or where pineapples are from. Or who Mommy was kissing.

I didn't know Batman wasn't technically a superhero.

TheGirlFromIpanema Thu 27-Nov-14 22:04:48

Channel tunnel related boast alert!

I went down there quite a bit while it was being constructed. The amount of water running through the rockface used to freak me out shock

Bippidee Thu 27-Nov-14 22:04:56

I remember visiting the French end. They had a replica of the bitey-rock-machine in the visitor centre. There was also a pinging noise every time they progressed one metre. I recall thinking at the time that if I worked in that office the constant pinging would have driven me potty.

Lifesalemon Thu 27-Nov-14 22:07:11

I don't know much about it either duchess and I've no excuse. I was 25 when it was done. grin

TheGirlFromIpanema Thu 27-Nov-14 22:08:44

And whaddya mean Batman isn't a super hero! How can he not be in his swooshy bat cape n all!!

MildDrPepperAddiction Thu 27-Nov-14 22:09:51

Hold on. Batman's not a superhero???

BigRedBall Thu 27-Nov-14 22:11:31

I thought it was a big leaky metal pipe too. Amazing.

What about gas from abroad like from Russia? Are there actual pipes bringing gas over here? How does it work?

ClashCityRocker Thu 27-Nov-14 22:14:36

Batman doesn't have any super powers. Just a swishy cape and some cool gadgets...

Which means ANYONE can be batman!

Didn't know that about the Channel tunnel though.

We went on it when it was fairly new, there was a bloke videoing the trip. That must have made a thrilling home movie,

WellnowImFucked Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:07

I'm Batman

Gawjushun Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:31

Oh yeah. That makes sense since they had that whole thing where the English and French sides met. I just hadn't thought about it before.

WellnowImFucked Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:37

Well if anyone can be why not meeeeeee?

rumbelina Thu 27-Nov-14 22:23:11

Hahaaaa! I remember that advert grin grin grin

Showy Thu 27-Nov-14 22:28:41

Having never watched or read Batman, I just assumed that like Spiderman and Superman and, er, Catwoman, he had some kind of super power, possibly something to do with bats. His super power is a feck load of money.

Nobody's ever seen me and Batman in a room together. And my 'I know bog all about Batman' spiel is a great cover...

CaptainAnkles Thu 27-Nov-14 22:32:02

I thought it was a tube in the sea and and you could look out and see fishes too... But I did stop thinking that by the time I was about eleven.

EilisCitron Thu 27-Nov-14 22:36:19

I thought that about the Mersey tunnel when I was little. the Channel Tunnel had not been invented then.
Here's mine: how big are penguins? I think I was quite old when I realised they weren't as big as people. There is never anything for scale in the shots on TV. And they are so anthropomorphic! Maybe I just thought that because of Johnny Morris.

ClangerOnaComeDown Thu 27-Nov-14 22:50:36

Batman is so a super hero! <folds arms and stares showy down>

angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now