Talk

Advanced search

to think that my friend should complain to HR about this comment.

(13 Posts)
askyfullofstars Thu 27-Nov-14 19:57:01

One of my closest friends (we also work together) had a cancerous brain tumour removed last year. She also had a course of radiotherapy.
She returned to work earlier this year.
Since the treatment/surgery she has trouble walking a long distance (generally struggles with mobility some days), gets tired and sometimes her balance can be off.
She had a problem this week with her computer (laptop) and called ICT. They are situated in a different building at the other end of the town centre. They said that she would have to take it to them as they dont have the resources to come out. She explained that she would struggle with this as she is disabled.
The ICT man said "well thats not my problem". She was upset by this and just said bye and put the phone down. When we asked her what was up she told us. We arranged for someone to take the laptop up and I made her a brew and sat with her for a bit.
I suggested she complain to HR but she said no as she doesnt want to make a fuss sad .
Am I letting my emotions get in the way of my judgment (he upset my friend), or should he be reported?

DorisIsALittleBitPartial Thu 27-Nov-14 19:59:04

It's his job. He should be reported to his line manager at least.

FrontForward Thu 27-Nov-14 20:00:32

I'd probably have a word with his manager first.

HermioneWeasley Thu 27-Nov-14 20:01:19

It needs mentioning as the team need some training

Madamecastafiore Thu 27-Nov-14 20:08:43

He should have been less abrupt and more understanding but if it is protocol that you go to them then I would have just accepted that that is the case and have asked someone who could make the journey to go.

askyfullofstars Thu 27-Nov-14 20:14:44

I agree his manager is the more appropriate route.
madame The protocol is usually that they come out.

Madamecastafiore Thu 27-Nov-14 20:15:30

Well if they normally come put he should be flamed for lying and rudeness.

bettyblueeyes83 Thu 27-Nov-14 20:36:34

It doesn't matter whether they normally come out. Under the Equalities Act 2010, it is the employer's responsibility to make 'reasonable adjustments' for staff with disabilities. Someone coming to look at her laptop because she can't walk to them is the definition of reasonable!

FrontForward Fri 28-Nov-14 20:31:29

It's his attitude that is the issue rather than any intention to discriminate I suspect. You could equally have said I can't leave the office because I need to man the phone line and have had the same response.

If he had a better attitude he'd have explored options.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 28-Nov-14 20:43:13

Not an HR issue IMO. Best route would be to bump it up to your friend's manager, who would take it up with the appropriate manager of ICT (PC Support or similar).

Regardless, it needs to be raised. A part of the company is not doing its job. Hope your friend feels OK , she really didn't need this idiot sad.

confusedandemployed Fri 28-Nov-14 20:46:31

Definitely needs to be raised. First port of call should be his line manager and if no joy there, the HR team. Your poor friend, what an appalling response.
As a PP has said, the IT team sounds like they needs equality and diversity training.

smokinggnu Fri 28-Nov-14 21:24:07

Definitely raise this. It's poor (internal) customer service to not at least investigate what options are workable. I wouldn't raise it with HR (initially) I'd approach that indivduals line manager. IT are providing a service, they should be providing an accessible one.

FryOneFatManic Fri 28-Nov-14 21:37:50

Agree with reporting to his manager for his attitude. If it's the norm that the IT staff come out, then he should have done, and regardless of whether it is the norm or not, as your friend is disabled then he should definitely have come out as per the Reasonable Adjustment argument.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: