Talk

Advanced search

To really dislike the phrase 'mid life crisis' ?

(5 Posts)
ThatBloodyWoman Thu 27-Nov-14 17:29:12

?

Latara Thu 27-Nov-14 17:39:46

I agree..

Firstly because you can have a 'crisis' at any age, not just in mid-life.

Also it's a very dismissive phrase to use for people who are actually going through a difficult time in their lives, whether they are middle-aged or not.
The phrase trivialises difficulties some people have.

Personally I think you can go through a 'crisis' at any age when you haven't met your aims or goals, or when your expectations don't meet reality.

For example I wanted to be married with kids by now and I haven't even got a boyfriend let alone children. So I am having a bit of a crisis about that. And also about my career.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 27-Nov-14 17:49:57

It just seems that anything you do thats fun or frivolous past a certain age is dismissed as part of a mid life crisis.
Its so damn condescending.

TranquilityofSolitude Thu 27-Nov-14 17:56:20

I don't think it was ever intended to become the throwaway diagnosis it has turned out to be - much like 'OCD' I expect.

Latara Thu 27-Nov-14 18:00:12

It depends - most of my colleagues are at least 10 years older than me (I'm 38) so they are generally middle aged but they do a lot of fun things, their social lives & love lives are much better than mine! I think a lot of them had their 'mid-life crisis' prematurely and are now getting on with life.

I would never be dismissive of them due to their age because for a start i would have no friends at work.. and also i believe anyone of any agegroup should be able to enjoy life without being criticised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now