Talk

Advanced search

to wish Amazon wouldn't put great huge ads down all over my mumsnet page showing dh exactly what I've bought him for Christmas?

(29 Posts)
madhairday Thu 27-Nov-14 12:15:24

Just that really.

I know, I know, I shouldn't have mumsnet open when he can see it, and I shouldn't shop at amazon. But as it is I am doing and now there are like 2 bloody great ads full of ukuleles. Not very subtle. I'm going to have to stop mumsnetting aren't I...

Mind you, not as bad as the time I was looking through the lingerie section of M&S, I had pictures of lovely big granny pants for months. That made dh laugh.

DS saw an ad the other day for magic sets, and announced he knew what i'd bought him

Bloody amazon.

madhairday Thu 27-Nov-14 12:15:54

Not sure why there is an errant 'down' in that title.

AnnieLobeseder Thu 27-Nov-14 12:17:33

Do your shopping in an Incognito window.

But you make a valid point, and I will heed your warning and make sure I do the same!

Goldmandra Thu 27-Nov-14 12:17:58

Tell me about it! I've had to retreat to the corner to MN so nobody can see over my shoulder. Unfortunately that seems to be making DH worry that I am posting about him!

InfinitySeven Thu 27-Nov-14 12:18:44

Go and look at other stuff on Amazon? Or get an ad blocker until after Christmas. Too late for incognito now!

SavoyCabbage Thu 27-Nov-14 12:18:59

This happens to me too although not with Amazon as I'm not in the UK. I've watches all over mine as I've bought dd a watch. Asos do it on facebook.

InfinitySeven Thu 27-Nov-14 12:19:27

Ah just saw Annie already mentioned incognito. It's good for this type of thing if you remember.

Slutbucket Thu 27-Nov-14 12:19:35

It's your cookies. You need to disable them.

YackityUnderTheMistletoe Thu 27-Nov-14 12:19:42

Clear all your cookies to get rid of them. That's how they know!

DoJo Thu 27-Nov-14 12:20:31

Why not just use an ad blocker?

madhairday Thu 27-Nov-14 12:25:09

Yes I must sort cookies/ad blocker etc. Have been hopelessly lax at this. And like the incognito idea.

<off to amazon to look at sets of rose pot pourri or similar>

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Thu 27-Nov-14 12:29:15

I'm getting this too and not just with amazon grrr.

Off to try and clear my cookies...

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Thu 27-Nov-14 12:29:38

I realised this when I booked DH a surprise trip away for his 40th. His FB page kept showing ads for accommodation in the same place. So I just looked at selection of other potential destinations and confused both the ad tracker and DH <mwahaha>

SquattingNeville Thu 27-Nov-14 12:35:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gamerchick Thu 27-Nov-14 12:37:29

Yes disable your cookies. They're a pain in the backside.

BackOnlyBriefly Thu 27-Nov-14 12:40:38

You could have fun with that. Do the real shopping incognito and then purposely click on say hats with pink bobbles for men or new garden spades and let them show up.

Ad blockers stop you from using cashback websites, which is a pain too. DH goes mad if I clear cookies as he is hopeless at remembering passwords.

You go in it Your Account section if amazon, select preferences and can remove the option where it remembers who you search.

But I would also back that up with incognito.

skylark2 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:44:33

Adblock is your friend...

I'm wondering if ebay is set up to be deliberately dim. The "you might be interested in" pictures are of Brownie uniform and playmobil. Now I have bought Brownie uniform and playmobil off ebay for my daughter, but she is now at uni so you can tell how long ago it was!

DoJo Thu 27-Nov-14 12:51:45

Ad blockers stop you from using cashback websites
You can pause most ad blockers to conduct a transaction which requires them, or set them up so they don't run on certain pages. They are quite versatile and designed to make the user experience easier so maybe worth playing around with your settings until you have them working how you want them to.

caitner Thu 27-Nov-14 13:03:41

I have to edit my Amazon browsing history (there's a link somewhere on the front page, it lets you delete the record of items you've viewed) to stop Amazon blabbing about presents.

I always shake my head when Amazon want me to share my purchases on facebook in the lead-up to Christmas. Who does that?

hellyhants Thu 27-Nov-14 13:05:14

Don't delete cookies because then you lose all your log-in info for other pages. You could download a different browser and use it for Amazon shopping. I have Chrome and Opera on my computer, or you could use Firefox.

Oldraver Thu 27-Nov-14 13:07:13

I had to use an AdBlocker as things I had looke dat kept on showing up in our email page.

Ebay used to be bad for showing the last 5 things you viewed even with a blocker. I have noticed recently they have an option to not show whats been viewd and also hide stuff you have bought

madhairday Thu 27-Nov-14 13:24:36

BackOnlyBriefly <waves> my dh would actually like a pink bobbly hat grin But yes I can have some real fun with this I feel..

I think a different browser is a good idea, hadn't thought of that - as is going to change preferences in amazon. It is a pain.

ouryve Thu 27-Nov-14 13:30:50

I use 3 different browsers. I use Firefox for most stuff, but Internet Explorer for Yahoo mail because it's rubbish and glitches the least often in that. Amazon slows Firefox down to a crawl and looks a bit shite in IE, so I use that in Chrome.

Similar on my iPad - I'm fine with safari for most things, but use Chrome for the met office website because that makes Safari grind to a halt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now