Talk

Advanced search

to feel enormously irritated by 'black friday'

(124 Posts)
holdyourown Thu 27-Nov-14 11:14:20

I mean what even is it. Yet more US imported nonsense imo

traviata Thu 27-Nov-14 11:19:08

yes, I agree.

what does anything actually cost any more? with 20% off here and 15% off there, it's all so cynical and manipulative.

have the shops just loaded up on tat which they plan to shift on BF?

Purpleroxy Thu 27-Nov-14 11:19:25

I thought it represented the day of the calendar year where the business went out of the red and into the black - rest of year's sales are profit?

What harm is it doing you or why is it bothering you?

ghostyslovesheep Thu 27-Nov-14 11:19:53

I feel your itchiness - but lots of these companies ARE american - such as Asda/Walmart

It is an import - traditionally Christmas shopping kicks in in the USA the first Friday after Thanksgiving (today) - which is when they go all out to flog their tat - but I do grit my teeth when I see it here - can't put my finger on why though

tethersend Thu 27-Nov-14 11:22:32

It's annoying the shit out of me too.

All the retailers announcing IT'S BLACK FRIDAY like it's a thing that happens every year and trying to hype us up into a frenzy.

It feels very cynical, artificial and forced.

On the other hand, OOH CHEAP STUFF.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 27-Nov-14 11:25:04

It's pretty bizzare to have Black Friday anywhere but the US, where it's the post-Thanksgiving spendathon (I don't know if the Friday is a public holiday but my company they all seem to have to take both days off)

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Thu 27-Nov-14 11:41:41

yes it annoys me too. We don't do sales like they do in the USA. Theres no point pretending we do. If you've seen the bargain hunter programmes they know exactly what is being reduced and by how much. decent sized discounts etc. whereas here e drop a couple of £ and expect everyone to be in a frenzy to get the bargain.

Cloudofdeath Thu 27-Nov-14 11:41:59

It's annoying me too, even though I realise it's all one big marketing ploy to get us to part with our hard earned cash I still want to grab a "bargain" but can't because I'm broke and this makes me even more annoyed because I really should know better.

Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Thu 27-Nov-14 11:43:11

Last year Black Friday where I work was just horrendous, there were grown men and women physically fighting over TVs and DVD players

HesterShaw Thu 27-Nov-14 11:44:35

What tethers said.

They seem to be trying to hoodwink us into believing that it's a Thing in this country and therefore we are duty bound to go out and spend loads of cash on unnecessary crap. They think we're stupid and sadly a lot of people are.

ouryve Thu 27-Nov-14 11:44:57

YABU. It's just a sale.

Debenhams have a sale every few weeks. Mostly, I just ignore it. I have never felt that my quality of life has suffered because of yet another blue cross event.

MsJupiter Thu 27-Nov-14 11:47:03

It's like Groupon, when there were one or two offers per day it felt like something you should go for, now it's all become meaningless as everything is being discounted. It's just that the prices were stupidly high in the first place.

MimiSunshine Thu 27-Nov-14 11:47:15

I agree.

Someone said to me 'Oh its Black friday' like its a thing. I do actually know what its about but pretended not to asked what it was (sales) I asked why? they couldn't tell me.

We don't celebrate Thanks Giving, its not a thing. It can go back, there are sales on anyway.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 27-Nov-14 11:49:46

There are some good bargains to be had but most of it is rubbish.

Just seen an Amazon Black Friday deal on something I bought DS last year at full price from Smyths. Yes, it was the same price. hmm

HelloitsmeFell Thu 27-Nov-14 11:50:36

These days there seems to be a sale on everywhere for about 75% of the time, so I get to the point where I don't trust any 'sale' price I see anyway. Unless it's the classic end of season sale where you can clearly see that something has been marked down from its previous actual price, rather than some temporarily artificially inflated one. That gives me the rage.

Apatite1 Thu 27-Nov-14 11:52:17

It's just another sale. Same rules apply: but what you were planning to buy at full price anyway, ignore the rest.

museumum Thu 27-Nov-14 11:53:29

anything that pushes christmas spending back to after thanksgiving is a good thing in my books - wherever it comes from!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 27-Nov-14 11:53:40

Unless you are after something specific and you know the usual retail price then it's pointless. I have no idea what an Anglepoise lamp normally costs or a complete box set of Columbo and I don't trust Amazon's 'discount' % either.

And yes, 'sale fatigue' really annoys me. Clothes retailers send me emails every other day about their AMAZING X% off deal or lightning sale. After a while I just think that I won't bother buying anything from there as I can't trust them on price.

CoolCat2014 Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:37

YANBU. Imported hype hoping to make us spend money on supposedly discounted goods, that in reality the prices were hiked previously purely so they could be discounted for the sale.

I've looked at a few "Black Friday" deals, and they are the same price as you can get elsewhere. If you can find a true bargain, great, but I think Jan sales are much better for that as that's when retailers really struggle in the UK.

Vagndidit Thu 27-Nov-14 12:02:03

Am American and tbh I don't even understand Black Friday in the States. Why get up at silly o'clock for items that are likely to be discounted even more closer to Christmas?

The Black Friday phenomenon in the UK is proving to be yet another poorly executed American import (see: proms, baby showers, Halloween)

RoseCavallari Thu 27-Nov-14 12:25:42

I didn't know America invented Halloween!

Wow the country that just keeps giving...

KateMosley Thu 27-Nov-14 12:28:55

America did not invent Hallowe'en!

Pointlessfan Thu 27-Nov-14 12:30:10

It irritates me too. Not the sales, I love a bargain but the way the shops behave like we have always had it.
I went to Asda this morning and the guy on the checkout warned me not to go in tomorrow! He said they are having a big delivery tonight so they can flog everything tomorrow and that he is dreading how busy it will be!

cherrybombxo Thu 27-Nov-14 12:32:41

I'm not complaining, my inbox has been flooded with 20% discount codes for websites that I was going to be buying Christmas presents from anyway. It's just a sales gimmick and I won't say no to a discount code.

OraProNobis Thu 27-Nov-14 12:33:10

YANBU - it's giving me the screaming ab-dabs! Seems like every single retailer is using it ad nauseam without having the faintest idea why they're using it. Lazy bandwaggoning and v v v annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now