Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why child attractions are more expensive for adults.

(17 Posts)
ineedsomeinspiration Thu 27-Nov-14 09:12:23

This is something that has always baffled me. Just booked a day out with Thomas for DS birthday. It is £8.50 for him and £12.50 for me. What more a. I going to get from the day than he is? It just seems a bit bonkers.
I know I don't have to pay it and take ds but we want to go just find it odd the way lots of things are like this.

Kab13 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:35:43

Has always baffled me too.

Andrewofgg Thu 27-Nov-14 09:44:14

They charge you more because they can get away with it.

Bluetonic123 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:45:46

Because people will pay it

anitimatter Thu 27-Nov-14 09:45:50

yes, because they can

it is your choice to go or not to go

they are always hoping to make money on overpriced drinks, trinkets and food as well

Territt16 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:50:10

I find it odd that places like Zoos charge less for kids...?

Corneliusmurphy Thu 27-Nov-14 09:52:23

I was looking at a Christmas experience thing for the dcs this year, meet Santa, various activities - but it's the same price for adults as for them and I'm fairly sure me sitting on Santa's knee is going to be frowned on, and I won't be allowed to make an elf cookie (sob)

fredfredgeorgejnr Thu 27-Nov-14 09:52:26

To discourage adults from attending - they don't want mummy, daddy, granny, aunt maude, granddad, grandma, great granny all following around pfb...

Graciescotland Thu 27-Nov-14 09:56:47

I know what you mean at our local adventure park adults are a fiver kids are 8 quid which seems much more sensible.

GreatJoanUmber Thu 27-Nov-14 09:56:49

One of my bugbears. There is a local play farm that charges more for adults, too; and it's just plain moneymaking - let's face it; if I didn't have children, I wouldn't go there! So why even have an adult charge especially as the children's entry is overpriced as it is?
I think anything that is meant for children shouldn't charge for adults, or only a nominal amount. They make enough money from drinks, food, gift shop etc.

MsJupiter Thu 27-Nov-14 10:35:29

Surely it's more that children get a discounted price. They could do it the other way round (I have seen places do this) but lots of people take more than one child so it seems fairer to have a cheaper price for children.

If they were both £8.50 people would also feel it was unfair as they expect a child discount.

ineedsomeinspiration Thu 27-Nov-14 10:36:58

It's a one off birthday day out so I will pay it but I not gone places in the past that do this just because I think it's quite balmy. I wouldn't mind so much if it was the same amount or slightly less.
I will get to ride in Thomas but perhaps I should ask for a temporary thomas tattoo, get my face painted and demand to take part in all the craft activities!

PumpkinsMummy Thu 27-Nov-14 10:37:15

oooh fredfredgeorgejnr you have obviously been to the same place and me and PFB on our annual summer outing!! wink.

FIL and me make a (not so) subtle campaign each summer to go to the (not so) local safari park so we PFB can feed and cuddle the animals and go on the helter skelter. Me and DH, Gran, Grandad and sometimes Auntie go. To be fair tho it's not a just for kids attraction.

I suspect when theme parks are on the horizon attendance will tail off but probably we will split into the "stay at the bottom of the rides scoffing donuts" (me and Grandma) and "scare yourselves sick on the rides" (FIL DH and DS) groups.

ineedsomeinspiration Thu 27-Nov-14 10:38:23

Also I understand general attractions charging more for adults but not one solely geared up for children.

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 27-Nov-14 10:39:27

It;s a cinfidence trick. They do it so you think they are giving a discount for children, which is something people sort of expect and can make parents think a place is "family friendly".

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 27-Nov-14 10:40:09

It's and confidence.

ShadowKat Thu 27-Nov-14 10:47:02

Yes, this annoys me too.

The play farm near us charges the same for adults as children despite being clearly aimed at pre-teen children, with, IMO, no attractions that are of any real interest to adults.

It would make much more sense to just charge a nominal amount for adults, and I can't help thinking that they'd draw in more families if they didn't charge the adults as much as the kids.

I think places like theme parks are a bit different because they usually have rides aimed at adults too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now