Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel pissed off with work?

(7 Posts)
DowntonDowager Wed 26-Nov-14 20:03:31

I've just returned from ML last week and my new manager mentioned in passing today that my previous manager said something along the lines of 'I hope DowntonDowager doesn't just dump a load of work on my team' in reference to the fact that I've reduced my hours.

I'm gutted. I've always had a strong work ethic, stayed late, gone in early to meet deadlines, taken on additional work to help others. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I have never ever shirked work, even when I was pregnant. I didn't use that as an excuse and never had a day off sick. I prepared an incredibly detailed handover for my maternity cover so that she knew exactly what she was doing and I even emailed my old manager (from my hospital bed) with a list of things that were outstanding when I was rushed into hospital with pre-eclampsia and my baby delivered early.

I feel like I've been written off already and there is an attitude that now I'm part time, I can't/won't contribute as much. What a way to welcome me back. I was already feeling really anxious about returning and leaving ds and now I feel like I've been knocked sideways by this comment. I have absolutely no reason to doubt my new manager - I'm 100% certain that my old manager made this comment and now I want to gouge his eyes out.

How can I prove the arrogant t*&t wrong? I will have to leave sharp to collect ds from nursery but there's no reason that I can't add as much value as I did before maternity leave is there? Or do I just need to face up to the fact that when you are a working mum, your career stalls and people write you off? Hopefully not in 2014 sad

addictedtobass Wed 26-Nov-14 20:24:01

Just carry on with your good work ethic OP, that will prove him wrong. Do your hours and do the work to a good quality.

He may be judging you based on his own ignorance or previous experience with other individuals. Either way it's still prejudging.

TheAlias Wed 26-Nov-14 20:34:34

There will be an element of that as a working mum OP, especially if you always have to leave to collect DC. Things won't become properly equal until Dad's have equal responsibility for collecting Dc from nursery and having the day off when they're sick.

Life as a p-t WOHM is a big balancing act - there's another thread going about how you can't expect to be default primary carer and keep your career going full hilt. There's a lot of truth in it.

However, the fact that you can continue working in a career you enjoy and have some time with your DC is brilliant, enjoy that rather than being distressed about what you've lost.

JontyDoggle37 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:38:14

Instead of doing everything you can and being the unsung hero, now you need to build the skills at showing openly how excellent you are. You don't have to deliver quantity, it's quality that people know about that counts...

Purplepoodle Wed 26-Nov-14 20:38:39

Naturally you can't carry the same work load in reduced hours. Have your management made arrangements to solve this issue. They agreed to reduced hours, they need to support you

Fabulous46 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:42:06

I had an issue with increased workload for my team because HR agreed to reduced hours for someone returning from ML. I swatted it right back to HR and they were told they either cover the hours lost by the worker going part time or refuse reduced hours. It's down to management and HR to ensure the team aren't overloaded with work, not you.

FabULouse Wed 26-Nov-14 20:50:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now