Talk

Advanced search

To buy DS Whey Protein?

(29 Posts)
CyclopsBee Wed 26-Nov-14 13:35:33

DS has joined a gym as although he is fit and plays lots of sport he is 6ft 3 and very skinny.
He has started doing weights and wants me to buy him some whey protein to help build his muscles.
I have googled abit as I haven't got a clue about these things,
So I am wondering if it's a thing he should be taking to help him, or is it hype? He is almost 17

Funkytown Wed 26-Nov-14 13:38:37

Don't know much about it but my dp uses it for the gym not sure for what but I think many people use it

misscph1973 Wed 26-Nov-14 13:40:17

I would not do it, although I can understand why you would want to. How is his diet? Could you look into getting him what he needs through food?

f he has started doing weights, I think he will naturally get more hungry, I know I do. I don't do massive weight lifting, but it does up my appetite. Think lots of egg, meat and good fats. But don't forget veg ;) A green smoothie with eggs, leafy greens and avocado would be a great natural alternative to whey protein.

EllaJayne123 Wed 26-Nov-14 13:40:38

My dp drinks a shake each day after gym. There's loads of different types but it's nothing harmful, just protein to rebuild the muscle and his one has a lot of carbs in as he has a skinny frame as well. It's not like steroids or anything!

TimeForAnotherNameChange Wed 26-Nov-14 13:43:06

Depends on what he thinks he's using it for. If he's got a directed plan with a decent trainer they'll be able to advise, but whey protein per se isn't evil, and isn't "oooh steroids!" as many people seem to think. Taking a couple of servings a day will do nothing for him by itself (except fill him up a bit - I use it in a breakfast shake), it's the weights plan that will determine the effects, as the protein helps repair and build the exercised muscle fibres. In terms of decent brands, bulkpowders, optimum nutrition, and nutrisport are all reliable, but he may also need to consider what type of protein he needs - isolate, caesein, miscellar etc, depending on how he's using it - pre or post work out, before bed etc. In short, yes he probably does need extra protein in the form of powder if he wants to see serious results from serious training. Otherwise not so much, it's a useful but non essential dietary supplement in that case.

Mmolly2013 Wed 26-Nov-14 17:30:04

Whey Protein comes from milk. It is completly harmless and he needs it if hes working out for numbet of reasons.

1. He will never be able to eat the food required to get as much protein in him a day as a shake would.

2. He would need it to help build muscle and put weight on or else it will be a big struggle.

You can even take whey protein in pregnancy its that harmless.

You can get some good on myprotein.co.uk theres loads of nice flavours to choose from.

He doesnt need a trainor to take it I would advise one shake a day straight after the gym to build muscle and will stop him being sore the next day

Mmolly2013 Wed 26-Nov-14 17:33:45

http://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

CyclopsBee Wed 26-Nov-14 18:04:05

Thanks everyone, he spoke to the trainer at the gym today who gave him a'free' protein shake after his workout, and told him to have one for breakfast every day and on the days he works out to have one after his workout aswell,
So....off DS goes to the shops and comes back with a tub of the stuff, £40shock
I hope it's worth it! He bought maxi muscle cyclone

Mmolly2013 Wed 26-Nov-14 18:05:46

Thats brilliant but tell him to get it online in futurr because its cheaper. Holland and Barretts is a ripoff

TimeForAnotherNameChange Wed 26-Nov-14 18:20:48

Best value in the UK as far as I can find at the moment is on bulkpowders.co.uk Their basic vanilla whey protein can be had for as little as £11.45 per kg in the 5kg tub and starts at £9.99 for a trial 500g bag, and if cost is really an issue then they have a pea protein powder that goes as low as £7.50 a kilo in bulk. Pea protein is very earthy and definitely needs a sweetner in it unless he's prepared to just chug it down and hold his nose! The basic whey is lovely though, disperses instantly and tastes great. They also have offers for first time purchaes on the home page.

CyclopsBee Wed 26-Nov-14 18:22:50

Thanks mmolly we have since looked online and found it to be cheaper, but he wanted some right now grin
He actually got it in Sainsburys and it came with a free shaker which is still a rip off
He's now sleeping!

SquirrelledAway Wed 26-Nov-14 18:50:41

DS uses Maximuscle Promax after a gym workout. He swears by it to help recovery after a hard set. Cheapest place to buy I've found is Costco.

WowWowSauce Wed 26-Nov-14 18:57:34

I used protein powders back when I did weights a lot. It'll do him no harm - the main focus should be on plenty of good food though.

I can't remember specifically about Cyclone but most protein/growth things are mostly full of crap sugar as well as the protein. He'd be better off buying the protein and eating starchy veg or pasta.

I used to use www.discount-supplements.co.uk/ and they were pretty good.

WowWowSauce Wed 26-Nov-14 18:59:45

Oops, Cyclone isn't a bulking one - the rest still stands though! Sorry.

SquirrelledAway Wed 26-Nov-14 19:12:22

Promax is low sugar and low fat. DS eats a lot of veg and lean protein.

frankbough Wed 26-Nov-14 19:16:30

Just tell him to eat more food and he'll grow..

CyclopsBee Wed 26-Nov-14 19:25:12

Thanks for your comments everyone
frank he eats loads! He eats me out if house and home but never puts weight on I'm not jealous
For tea tonight he had shepherds pie (homemade with lean beef) with cabbage and carrots followed by apple crumble and custard and 2 bananas
Breakfast was porridge and a bacon sarny and lunch was a chicken baguette, crisps and an apple and pear (he's on annual leave so I know what he's had!) tonight will probably be a pint of milk and a pile of biscuits!

misscph1973 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:32:21

You might find this article interesting: www.marksdailyapple.com/not-just-for-bodybuilders-the-many-wheys-whey-protein-can-improve-your-health/?awt_l=5oyQ6&awt_m=JeY1bsEy8xWvYa

SquirrelledAway Thu 27-Nov-14 10:29:49

Eggs are good too - two full eggs with two egg whites scrambled, with toast or bagels, makes a good meal. Chocolate milk is also good for post workout recovery.

Snaveanator Thu 27-Nov-14 10:42:20

If he's really skinny he should get some serious mass gainer, there's 1250 calories per shake (yes that is correct!) but shakes alone aren't going to do it, he needs to be eating 6 times a day (shakes count as a meal) plenty of chicken breast, steak, fish ect, broccolli, brown rice, porridge oats.

Snaveanator Thu 27-Nov-14 10:44:28

Ps maxi muscle is ridiculously expensive for what it is. Have a look on myprotein.com for cheaper alternatives that are just as good

SquirrelledAway Thu 27-Nov-14 11:09:58

For DS, I would rather pay a bit more and use something that won't give issues if DS has to undergo random drug screening (which can happen in his sport).

skylark2 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:05:29

What squirrelled said.

The "oh I bought cheap stuff online because it's supposed to be just the same" was actually a scenario in an antidoping video for her sport DD was watching online recently.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Thu 27-Nov-14 13:19:39

You're only looking at anti doping issues if you buy powders with added substances, eg bcaa's, creatine, etc. They're usually marketed more heavily and cost more due to the extra ingredients. If you're just after pure/plain whey it's not an issue.

And on gaining mass, assuming you mean muscle Snaveanator, then just drinking extra shakes isn't going to cut it either, only serious training will give him success, but you know that I think. (you're right that maxi muscle is over priced though)

SquirrelledAway Thu 27-Nov-14 14:24:30

DS has to make an annual medical declaration which includes any supplements taken. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to declare something which isn't batch tested.

Maximuscle is expensive in supermarkets, it's £23 for 900g in Costco. That lasts DS about 6 to 8 weeks, depending on his schedule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now