Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off with dh and his bloody toothache

(17 Posts)
Catthiefkeith Wed 26-Nov-14 12:49:07

Dh is off work today with raging toothache. Half his tooth has come away. It will cost a fucking fortune just before Christmas. I would be more sympathetic if:

Half the tooth hadn't fallen out in July 2013.

He had registered at the local dentist when we moved 4 years ago

He had filled in the registration form I got him from the dentist 4 fucking years ago.

He had sorted it out when it started hurting 3 months ago, instead of ignoring it and hoping it would go away.

£350 fucking quid apparently. angryangryangry

BarbarianMum Wed 26-Nov-14 12:52:48

TBH I don't think it would have cost much less than that to sort if he'd gone in July. Sympathy - my dh is exactly the same - poor teeth and dentist shy til crisis hits.

saintsandpoets Wed 26-Nov-14 12:54:04

He can't not have the treatment though. I couldn't be too angry at him, even had he done everything you asked medical and dental emergencies happen.

Catthiefkeith Wed 26-Nov-14 12:54:36

It would have been much less with the nhs dentist dd and I are with - my £230 crown looks as good if not better than my £1200 private one.

Stupid arse. angry

Catthiefkeith Wed 26-Nov-14 12:56:13

Obviously he's got to have it done, I'm not that heartless, but £350 for an emergency root canal is exorbitant surely?

codandchipstwice Wed 26-Nov-14 12:56:25

Can he not find an NHS desntist as that would only cost him 50 quid?

Agrestic Wed 26-Nov-14 12:56:25

I did this too. it cost about £400 to fix in the end... Don't be too mean, it fucking hurts!!

Agrestic Wed 26-Nov-14 12:58:04

I paid £200 for private emergency root canal!

calculatorsatdawn Wed 26-Nov-14 12:59:18

Does your NHS walk in centre have a dentist? I had a tooth emergency last month and it only cost me 18 quid to have it yanked out and it's all sorted.

Catthiefkeith Wed 26-Nov-14 13:02:42

We live rurally and my dentist is only open 2 days per week. I have phoned every nhs dentist I can find, nobody can fit him in.sad

He's a sub contractor so has lost about £200 by not going in today.

He's currently in the nearest big town having it sorted out.

I know it hurts, I've had the same thing, which is why I now go to my very gentle dentist every 6 months, I never want to go through that again.

It's only half a tooth, I don't understand why they don't just pull it, it's a bottom back one, he can manage without it!

Catthiefkeith Wed 26-Nov-14 13:04:29

The only nhs emergency walk in centre nearby is open from 6pm onwards, before that they tell you to find a local dentist.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 26-Nov-14 13:12:08

I think that's about normal. My brother paid £350 for root canal recently. I'd be annoyed he hadn't sorted it sooner though.

Mrsmorton Wed 26-Nov-14 22:08:01

YANBU I would be pissed off if he had had a broken tooth for 18 months and hadn't sorted it and my H would get zero sympathy from me. Especially as you tried to get him registered with a dentist!!!

gamerchick Wed 26-Nov-14 22:12:11

He can insist on extraction. I don't understand why they're so insistent on saving the dammed thing sometimes.

Mrsmorton Wed 26-Nov-14 23:00:25

Well, once it's gone it's gone. Patients in pain sometimes make irrational decisions. It can be worth buying time.

Bettercallsaul1 Wed 26-Nov-14 23:14:21

If he is at the stage of needing emergency root canal treatment, he must be in a great deal of pain and so he definitely deserves sympathy! What about going to A and E? Our hospital provides emergency dental treatment ( I think).

After this experience, I'm sure he'll go to the dentist earlier next time!

CromerSutra Wed 26-Nov-14 23:22:33

Surely he can choose whether to have the treatment or have the tooth out? I had to have 2 root canals in one year and even with insurance I had to pay a lot (sorry, can't remember the exact amount). My dentist did say though that he could just take the tooth out if I wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now