Talk

Advanced search

Save the Children awards Tony Blair "Global Legacy" award. <vomit>

(36 Posts)
TheLovelyBoots Wed 26-Nov-14 09:32:49

WIBU to cancel my substantial monthly direct debit and re-direct towards an organization that can differentiate between a war-monger and a "leader of international development"?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/11254583/Save-the-Children-staff-furious-over-morally-reprehensible-award-for-Tony-Blair.html

Nicename Wed 26-Nov-14 09:35:09

Its a legacy alright... Give your money to SOS children's villages ( a wonderful charity).

TheLovelyBoots Wed 26-Nov-14 09:39:21

I wonder how much work Save the Children has done in cleaning up the mess he has left behind in Iraq?

Nicename SOS looks great. Are you otherwise involved, or just a donor?

emotionsecho Wed 26-Nov-14 09:48:01

How convenient that Tony Blair's special adviser and chief of staff are on the Board that decided to award this. Seems there is no escaping politicians and ex politicians/political advisers lack of awareness.

As an aside though, I thought TB didn't look well in the picture accompanying the article.

Nicename Wed 26-Nov-14 09:53:42

I sponsor a child. I wanted a charity with no political or religious affiliations.

meditrina Wed 26-Nov-14 19:02:35

BBC article on growing petition criticising this award

When I thinkif Blair's legacy, anti-poverty isn't the first thing that springs to mind.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Wed 26-Nov-14 19:05:23

That's one charity that will never ever get a penny off me again. Fucking backslapping hypocrites.

Heels99 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:09:56

Yanbu this is an own goal from save the children what a public relations disaster

VikingVolva Wed 26-Nov-14 19:11:17

"It also reflected his decision to establish the Department for International Development and increase British overseas aid."

Hang on, wasn't that just a rebranding of ODA?

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Wed 26-Nov-14 19:14:44

Save the children award?

the ones he bombed, or the ones whose poverty grew under his sickening regime, and the society that is suffering at its bottom most rungs today as a direct result of his sickening policies?

silveroldie2 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:16:42

Oh the irony of War Criminal Blair receiving a Save the Children award. How many innocent children were murdered because of his illegal actions. It's sickening.

GoringBit Wed 26-Nov-14 20:21:58

Oh the irony of War Criminal Blair receiving a Save the Children award. How many innocent children were murdered because of his illegal actions. It's sickening.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Heels99 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:25:39

Yanbu this is an own goal from save the children what a public relations disaster

Springheeled Wed 26-Nov-14 20:51:12

Tony Blair award, Myleene '£2m garage' Klass as an ambassador- not good! Normally I would buy a kids' present from STC every year at Xmas- they do art packs, school packs etc and my dcs like to get one as a present from them to another child in the world. Sod that this year! Will try a different charity

TheLovelyBoots Wed 26-Nov-14 20:59:29

I have sent them an email requesting that they recant... or cancel my direct debit. Which shall prevail? TB, I suspect.

cleanmachine Wed 26-Nov-14 21:06:45

Oh ffs I feel like I'm living in some parallel universe. First kate cambridge being named as one of the worlds most influential women and now this.

Have cancelled my hefty dodgy debit and sent off a strongly worded email. Bastards.

TheLovelyBoots Wed 26-Nov-14 21:08:54

Can anyone tweet them? Is this the modern way of protest?

We3KingyofOblomovAre Wed 26-Nov-14 21:21:43

This is enough to make you vomit.

barnet Wed 26-Nov-14 21:31:36

Sign the petition here please!
stopwar.org.uk/news/backlash-at-save-the-children-as-its-staff-demand-award-to-child-killer-tony-blair-is-withdrawn

OkayThatsAwkward Wed 26-Nov-14 21:35:37

Is he still a peace envoy for the Middle East? shock

aermingers Wed 26-Nov-14 21:38:36

I'm not going to donate to Save the Children again after this. There are other charities that do similar work who don't consort with murderers and warmongers and they can have my money.

Discopanda Wed 26-Nov-14 21:39:32

Signed and shared!

silveroldie2 Wed 26-Nov-14 21:42:13

There's a 38 Degrees petition asking Save the Children to revoke the Global Legacy Award given to Blair, which already has over 100k signatures, if anyone else wants to sign: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-save-the-children-charity-from-giving-tony-blair-their-annual-global-legacy-award

AuntieStella Wed 26-Nov-14 22:05:48

They are doing good work in Sierra Leone (running one of the treatment centres the Army built) and it is a huge pity that the organisation responsible for volunteers who put themselves in harm's way has shown such misjudgement in making this award.

Jossysgiants Wed 26-Nov-14 22:10:01

I was straight on the phone to them on Monday when I heard about this to cancel. It makes me feel quite sick. Will look into SOS children's villages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now