Talk

Advanced search

Someone tell me if have been BU....

(22 Posts)
Cupcakes123 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:01:32

Right so I don't think I ABU but would like to canvas opinion!

I live in a flat above a shop, have been here for over a year and the shop below has been empty until about 4 months ago when a hairdresser opened another branch (they have 4 shops now I think) The shop and my flat share a little fenced off area, there is a set of stairs going up to my balcony and front door and there is the back entrance to their shop where they keep the bin.
To get my 3 month old in and out of the flat I have to set the buggy up at the bottom of the stairs in the joint area and carry him up and down the stairs.

(I hope your with me so far!)

When the shop opened they didn't have a bin, just left black bags outside, the back door the bastard foxes then rip the bags open and we then have to walk over and wheel the baby over their manky rubbish to get in and out of our flat. Kept popping into the shop to POLITELY say that the foxes had got the rubbish again, please could they pick it up and suggesting that perhaps don't leave it outside where it can be ripped open. They obviously didn't enjoy picking it up and were kind of understandably getting annoyed with me. But if you keep leaving it outside this is what will happen!
Eventually I was told by someone in the shop that they didn't care and it wasn't her problem yes it is, it's your bloody rubbish everywhere

This went on for weeks.
I got a bit pissed off with this happening over and over so found an email address of the owner of the chain, emailed her, asking again politely if something could be done, I just got a bit of a snotty reply adv that a bin had been ordered and it should all be sorted.

They finally got a bin, however the bin never gets emptied, it's now overfilled with bags, and foxes have got them and ripped them apart. Since Saturday, I've had to walk over kebab boxes, bottles, cans, leftover food, used hair foils etc etc. rank. They close on a Monday so the bags they left out on sat night have been there ever since and the foxes have been having a jolly old time.
I haven't picked it up. Nor have they although they have seen it.

So I called the council and dobbed them in. They aren't paying for enough waste clearance anyway apparently and weren't supposed to have the bin.

As a side note, I couldn't have dragged their bin out with mine as the council don't collect commercial waste and it's a seperate company (so I was told) so it won't be taken anyway.

AIBU or should I have kept my mouth shut and ignored the rubbish?

kilmuir Tue 25-Nov-14 21:04:13

No, good for you

sooperdooper Tue 25-Nov-14 21:05:23

No of course you're not being unreasonable, that's disgusting!! Are the council going to do anything about it?

EmbarrassedPossessed Tue 25-Nov-14 21:06:44

I think you've been incredibly reasonable. You raised it directly with the staff in the shop, then the shop owner and then the council. They've had plenty of opportunity to sort it out and decided not to (gits!).

Hope the council can sort it out permanently for you.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 25-Nov-14 21:07:38

No you done the right thing, I've done the same when business was dumping rubbish outside a house I was renting.

wowfudge Tue 25-Nov-14 21:08:19

They've had every opportunity to sort their rubbish out and are cutting corners by not paying enough to get it all collected - YADNBU!

honeysucklejasmine Tue 25-Nov-14 21:09:23

What wankers. Disgusting and cheeky! Good for you.

Cupcakes123 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:12:08

Oh good. I had a temporary "oh god just let it go" moment once I had spoken to the council but pleased I've done it now. If everyone else can sort their rubbish out accordingly so should they.

It's also v embarrassing with friends/family come round and they have to walk over all that to get into the house hmm

maybe I'll start taking my rubbish and DS's nappies and leaving them outside the front of the shop, see how they like it then

BeCool Tue 25-Nov-14 21:16:23

YANBU.
have you also reported the problem to your landlord? And/or to their landlord. They should be involved too.

Hope it's sorted ASAP.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 25-Nov-14 21:16:35

No unreasonable you raised the issue they didn't fix it so hopefully they will now.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 25-Nov-14 21:17:14

That should say not unreasonable

2minsofyourtime Tue 25-Nov-14 21:17:47

Yanbu, and keep on at the council, take photos wherever you have to do.

Upload to their Facebook if needed. It's disgusting on their part

Cupcakes123 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:21:36

@becool
We have the same landlord, I mentioned it before to him and he just brushed it off and told me to speak to them myself, which doesn't bloody work!
I called him today before I called the council and was going to ask him to have a word first but he didn't answer, then I thought sod it and called the council anyway
He rang me back after I'd spoken to them but I just ignored him which was a bit naughty of me.

maras2 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:23:58

YANBU whatsoever cupcakes.Keep on dobbing the dirty feckers in to anyone who'll listen.

nohysteriahere Tue 25-Nov-14 21:32:55

Invite the daily mail local rag to take photos and do a sad face.

Or take photos yourself and upload to the local spotted site.*

*only do this if you can cope with the fallout.

Alternatively, log each incident with photos and send to enviromental health.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 25-Nov-14 21:39:52

So they all expected you to keep walking through their rubbish to get to your own house? Cheeky gits! I'd have been sweeping it into a bucket and dumping it on their shop floor. Not really but wouldn't you love to?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 25-Nov-14 21:40:45

Or hysterias suggestion of logging it on fb, that's brilliant. grin

Cupcakes123 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:47:14

I literally don't care what they think of me anymore, keep an eye out on the Daily Mail grin I'm joking, I think....

The girls in the shop must slag me off something rotten once I've been in there asking them to pick it up.
DP has been taking pics so we have evidence if needs be. When he leaves to go to work, I get an update on the rubbish situation, he's well trained!

I think we need help! Who would have thought a bin could stress me out so much confused

Oldraver Tue 25-Nov-14 21:50:59

I think you did right and you have more patience than me. I think I would of been walking their bin through their front door by now

Cupcakes123 Wed 26-Nov-14 10:08:30

Rubbish has all magically disappeared this morning!
Either coincidence or the council lady has spoken to them already. YIPPPPEEEE!

WeirdCatLady Wed 26-Nov-14 10:14:19

You are NOT bu.

Glad it's cleared away. Take photographs every time if happens on future.

Well done you x

BeCool Wed 26-Nov-14 10:29:41

Good news rubbish is gone.

If you have a smart phone, I'd be taking a photo every time I used the stairs to document the situation.

Shame your LL is useless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now