Talk

Advanced search

Sick notes ...

(5 Posts)
Downnout Tue 25-Nov-14 18:17:01

to think that under 18 students should get a discount re paying for a sick note (genuine from the doctor who diagnosed illness). My DS doctor is insisting that he has to pay the full price of £40.

I know it is an admin fee and is not under NHS but really!

Btw I do not mind paying £40 if I need one.

CrohnicallyAnxious Tue 25-Nov-14 18:24:23

I think it would be reasonable for anyone who doesn't pay for their prescriptions to get a discount off certain private services- including sick notes.

But, if you need a sick note because you have/ are expected to be off work for a number of days (is it 5?) then you get it free as it's then an NHS service.

If your employer/college/whoever for whatever reason requires you to produce a sick note before then, then it should be their responsibility to pay for it! Why should you take the double whammy of less pay because you're sick and having to pay for the sick note. (Yes I know your employer takes a hit too, but it's their choice to insist on you getting the sick note, you don't have a choice)

WooWooOwl Tue 25-Nov-14 18:28:02

Why does a student need a sick note? When I needed one it was to enable me to get SSP, but I wouldn't be prepared to pay for a sick note to prove to a college/school/uni that I was sick just because it made their records look better.

WooWooOwl Tue 25-Nov-14 18:29:09

I suppose the point I'm making is that a student shouldn't need a sick note in the first place, it's not that the doctor is wrong for charging the standard amount.

Downnout Wed 26-Nov-14 12:25:24

It is needed so the college will provide a 'lift pass' ie his illness prevents the use of stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now