Talk

Advanced search

To HATE the ads on MN that keep playing on their own?

(17 Posts)
ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 25-Nov-14 14:02:17

The bloody Ebay one! It keeps singing WHEN YOU'RE READY! At me and making me jump and my mouse is nowhere near it!

And a moment ago BARRY SCOTT came on with his Cillit Bang spiel! WHY do mine keep "going off" on their own!>?

Gruntfuttock Tue 25-Nov-14 14:05:05

You could turn your speakers off and/or use an adblocker.

NetballHoop Tue 25-Nov-14 14:09:23

AdBlock is your friend. It makes the internet much nicer.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 25-Nov-14 14:09:37

I know but why should I? And why does it keep coming on unbidden? Does this happen to other people?

Gruntfuttock Tue 25-Nov-14 14:13:21

Why should you? Because the ads annoy you, that's why.

Gruntfuttock Tue 25-Nov-14 14:15:52

I can't imagine why it wouldn't happen to other people, who didn't turn their speakers off or use an adblocker. Personally I use a Firefox add-on called NoScript and my speakers are off if I don't need them on. NoScript is not an adblocker as such, but it does mean that I see fewer ads anyway.

Hairtodaygonetomorrow Tue 25-Nov-14 14:15:59

This has been driving me crazy for the past few days- the automatic trigger, the singing. I even stopped Mnetting one night as I couldn't stand it any longer, it was triggering every 30 seconds or so -I'd be in the middle of a sensitive relationship thread and the trite jingle would be starting up. I am going to investigate AdBlocker but I don't find the normal ads intrusive, just the new all singing all dancing ones that interfere with your Mnetting!

Hairtodaygonetomorrow Tue 25-Nov-14 14:16:55

I don't want my speakers off though, I want to be able to listen to music/you-tube or whatever but not have the constant ad triggers. Sounds like this Adblock is the way to go.

Gruntfuttock Tue 25-Nov-14 14:19:33

Why can't you turn your speakers on whenever you want to watch Youtube or similar, closing Mumsnet, then turn them off when you've finished watching Youtube and want to read Mumsnet? It only takes a second.

Gruntfuttock Tue 25-Nov-14 14:21:54

Oh I see, you want music on in the background. Sorry. Well, yes, in that case use an adblocker, unless you agree with a poster the other day who complained that her DP or DH had installed an adblocker which she regards as "highly unethical".

Bair Tue 25-Nov-14 14:43:00

Oh wow. I just installed ad blocker.

Loads of spaces! Off to view other sites now.

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 25-Nov-14 15:42:56

There have been thread about this is sitestuff and they had promised it would stop.

It drives me crazy and makes me jump about ten foot! And when you have a small bundle sleeping on you they aren't very impressed about being disturbed. And they certainly let you know they are unhappy with you. I get one of those looks and some claws dug in for good measure as a warning to sit still! and then they climb on your face at 3am for revenge

rembrandtsrockchick Tue 25-Nov-14 15:56:54

Not impressed by these ads. Very intrusive indeed. I don't mind the visual ads as I can choose whether or not to click on them but the silly sound ones are a damn nuisance.

ArsenicSoup Tue 25-Nov-14 16:04:02

I asked about this again in site stuff yesterday. Several people have posted on different threads there over time. They seem to having trouble with it.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2235306-The-autoplay-adverts-are-back?

I can't turn my speakers off because I listen to music or radio 4 through them. It is blardy irritating.

ArsenicSoup Tue 25-Nov-14 16:06:43

And another current thread over there (Site Stuff is the best place to raise it);

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2234757-Can-we-opt-out-of-the-sounds-on-adverts

Got99problems Tue 25-Nov-14 16:08:07

Hate it! Is adblocker free?

Bair Tue 25-Nov-14 16:31:44

It is got99. I use chrome and got it from the google play store. You can make a payment to the creator for the amount you think it's worth.

I'd rather have just ignored the ads, but I use the sound on my laptop and having it on mute doesn't suit me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now