Talk

Advanced search

The world's most dull AIBU - features wallpaper and B+Q

(11 Posts)
gussiegrips Tue 25-Nov-14 13:33:40

Sorry about this - but, I'm Very Cross and need telling whether AIBU before I write a stern email.

Bought wallpaper from B+Q - it had a fault through the 4 rolls we opened of the 11 rolls bought.

Took it back, manager didn't quibble and acknowledged the fault. Offered a refund or an exchange.

I wanted an exchange. But, then...

1.They refunded the cost of the wallpaper onto my card "that'll take 2-3 days to appear in your account".
2. They charged me for the replacement 11 rolls of wallpaper. So, not an insignificant amount of cash a month before Christmas.

AIBU to expect to be able to do a straight exchange without having to be out of pocket for a few days?

"Oh, yeah, that's company policy, you'll have to complain to customer services"

What about my statutory rights?

Am cross.

AIBU?

MajesticWhine Tue 25-Nov-14 13:37:12

That's just stupid. YANBU at all. I think you should write the email. But then afterwards try and forget about it and don't let it get you down.

MagratsHair Tue 25-Nov-14 13:39:48

So just to clarify, you paid for the original 11 rolls then your card was charged again for the same 11 rolls, not just for the replacement 4?

Yes complain. And loudly!

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:40:08

was the replacement wallpaper exactly the same? same barcode?

Sheitgeist Tue 25-Nov-14 13:44:03

If the wallpaper was identical, ie same barcode number then there was no need for this or even scanning the new rolls; if different paper, they'd have to rescan for their stock records, but don't see why refund and charge again is necessary. Time was you could just pay the difference or have assistant scribble something on receipt!
Do complain to customer services.

StillSquirrelling Tue 25-Nov-14 13:44:47

What? confused Why on Earth wasn't it just a straight exchange? That sounds extremely unreasonable to me!

Clueing4looks Tue 25-Nov-14 13:48:54

Definitely complain. When I bought wallpaper from B&Q last year they never had any carrier bags (I don't drive and had to get on the bus balancing 6 rolls.) I emailed head office and got a lovely apology letter plus a £25 voucher!

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:49:46

did you have your receipt and was it within 45 days of purchase?

booksandchoc Tue 25-Nov-14 13:50:43

B&Q can't do straight exchange without management authorisation, and they actively avoid doing this in my store. They would have had to process the refund/resale through the till so that the faulty wallpaper was recorded as faulty, but they could have done a return without receipt and issued a credit note which would have been used to pay for the new rolls. I always explain the process to customers as I wouldn't like to wait days for my refund but pay for goods again. Did they refund then charge you again for 11 rolls or refund 4 then charge 11? I would complain simply because it flags it up that their is a training issue and will hopefully prevent the same mistake happening again.

gussiegrips Tue 25-Nov-14 14:14:40

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I had a receipt and was within the 45 days.

That's interesting, books.

They accepted that the 11 were faulty on the basis of the 4 that were opened, all the same print batch.

I'm bemused - shouldn't they just have replaced the entire 11 rolls on the assumption that they were faulty? Why have I been charged at all?

The manager was very nice, but, kept shrugging and saying "it's company policy" - and, I need the rolls because I need the work doing now. One of my kids is going back into hospital, and because he was on the ward I've already mucked the decorator around by cancelling. And, obviously, they are snowed with work in the run up to Christmas. So, I felt like "well, if I don't go home with the blardy wallpaper then it'll never get done", the decorators have been very flexible, but, they are busy. So, I paid up, wondering how I was goign to make the money work.

Effectively, I'm out of pocket from buying faulty goods.

Delighted I'm NBU, though. <skips>

gussiegrips Wed 26-Nov-14 11:54:51

Sent a patient, but, clear email to the CEO.

I'm sure that this refund policy breaches the customer's statutory rights.

Decorator's coming back next week - so, no telly for 5 days in Chez Gussie. Crikey. I'm not sure I'll know how to parent...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now