Talk

Advanced search

to think we should demand change in our education system?

(41 Posts)
cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 12:55:21

If you think teachers are lazy underworked whingers, this thread isn't for you.

If you believe things need to change for the workforce that nurtures our children every day then how about we all keep our children out of school one day next year as a sign we've had enough.
A children's strike. It's their future at stake.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 25-Nov-14 12:58:06

Well it's not a "Children's strike" if the parents have organised it is it?

I'm very happy with my children's teachers and school thank you.

I don't know what "change" you want since you didn't explain that in your post.

wishiwasonthebeach Tue 25-Nov-14 13:00:33

What kind of changes would you like to see?

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:03:57

The culture of control and punishment that teachers face need to change.

This article from the guardian sums it up well.

This thread in AIBU gives an idea of how demoralised teachers are.

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:04:25

Sorry the article is from the telegraph.

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:06:10

will you pay our fines? when do you propose they strike?

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:07:00

If practically every child is out there will be no fines.

The date would depend on a lot of different factors, I don't have a specific one in mind.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 25-Nov-14 13:09:28

But practically every parent would never do that OP. I think the majority are happy with their child's school AND many use it like childcare. Not that it is but they work etc...and so can't take days off.

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Nov-14 13:11:20

So everyone misses a day at school and the teachers have to work even harder, to catch everyone up?

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:11:22

what about exams? or for young children,SATS

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 25-Nov-14 13:14:58

And my children adore school....the moral at their school is excellent and the teachers are happy. The school just made it into the Times 600....is the general moral just down to a good leader?

arethereanyleftatall Tue 25-Nov-14 13:15:42

Sorry, no, I love my kids school.

Tanith Tue 25-Nov-14 13:15:55

I agree things need to change. Too many schools are haunted by the Spectre of Ofsted. I think parents would be truly appalled if they saw the mock inspections, colleague observations, evidence demands and the rest - and it's trickling down into Early Years. None of it benefits the kids.

However, I don't agree that a Children's Strike is the way to go.

Write to your MP. That is the single most effective method I know. If everyone were to do it, especially in Election year, we would see them doing something about it.

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:17:31

I am also very very happy with my child's school. I'm not happy that my son's excellent teacher is contemplating leaving after 23 years because of the stress she's being put under, unnecessarily, by OFSTED.

MrsPiggie Tue 25-Nov-14 13:25:02

Teachers have the option to strike (and have done and will do again). Parents can show their support for the strike, but what would a children's strike achieve? Children missing school would not put any pressure on the government, they have no bargaining power. If you miss a day of school, the only person you are going to hurt is yourself. By all means start a campaign to support teachers, start a petition, make some waves. But a strike is pointless.

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:27:08

who will pay for childcare whilst the dc strike? some of us have to work and cant cover teachers strikes as well as kids!! honestly op,this hasn't even been thought out has it?

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:27:43

If children stay out of school for one day it will not affect their education, especially if there are no classes for them to miss (as too many children are absent for a proper school day to go ahead.)
Children staying out would make a huge impact IMO - it would signal to the government that parents are sick of the way the education system is mismanaged.

But reading the responses I suppose, for now, there isn't enough understanding about the problems that exist.

I reckon in a few years' time when the full effect of the last few years of mismanagement are really felt, parents will feel differently.

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:28:14

26 if you can't plan in advance for one solitary day off then I worry about you and the pressure you're under.

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:32:43

I'm a lone parent with 5 dc. I work full time....thanks for that

MagratsHair Tue 25-Nov-14 13:33:40

I agree change is needed OP, I agree that teachers are worn out & demoralised. However as a parent I would say that you are asking me to take a day off work unpaid when money is a struggle anyway & that in my workplace there is only a certain number of people who can be off at any one time. So some parents would get their annual leave authorised for that day & some would not, meaning that regardless of their level of support some people would just simply not be able to leave work.

cailindana Tue 25-Nov-14 13:35:43

Then you are under a lot of pressure 26, so my worry is valid.

I'm sure if enough parents were on board (although I can see it's unlikely at this point) there would be some who would be happy to have their friends' children for a day, if the parents couldn't get out of work.

crumblebumblebee Tue 25-Nov-14 13:39:13

cailin This is AIBU, you cannot expect everyone to agree with your views or support them. I am passionate about lots of things but the education system just doesn't light my fire.

soverylucky Tue 25-Nov-14 13:39:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Tue 25-Nov-14 13:49:28

I'm less happy with my children's secondary school than I was with their primary. The pressure is heaped on now but was managed much better before. A direct correlation to the pressure the teachers are under, I'm sure. Wonder how many PPs who are very happy about their DCs' schools are referring to primaries.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 25-Nov-14 14:04:04

Super out of interest what is your DC's school's OFSTED like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now