Talk

Advanced search

work calling on home phone while on mat leave, when its listred as an rmergency number ?

(29 Posts)
moshwuckler Tue 25-Nov-14 12:41:41

Just gone on mat leave. Being called by boss about something which I'd already sorted out before I left. Home number only ever given to work for the 'in case of emergency' form to contact dh. They have my persobak mobile which I have absolutely no problem being contacted on. Home phone unreliable due to rural location, storms bring the lines down frequently. It's not the first time colleagues have called on it.
I also feel it's an invasion of privacy, as I don't give it out routinely. Why don't they just call on my mobile, which I've given out to everyone? Aibu?

adsy Tue 25-Nov-14 12:55:47

YES. yabu.
FAR LESS INTRUSIVE imo TO CALL YOU ON THE LANDLINE THAN YOUR MOBILE WHEN YOU COULD BE AT MIDWIFE ETC.

moshwuckler Tue 25-Nov-14 12:58:03

Aha. Thanks for that, but am I the only person who puts their phone on silent for medical appointments?!

Bair Tue 25-Nov-14 13:01:41

YANBU.

You gave your mobile, they should use that.

If you gave your home number for emergency contact (i.e you were ill at work) and they've used it for something else without your permission they've breached the DPA.

adsy Tue 25-Nov-14 13:03:41

But they don't know you have your mobile on silent. I think they're being considerate. Does it really matter, anyway???

purplemunkey Tue 25-Nov-14 13:05:52

YANBU. How rude adsy, OP has specified with work that she'd rather be contacted on mobile. Your preference might be landline and that would be up to you to communicate to your bosses. I, like the OP, put my phone on silent when at appts. I I think technically you're supposed to turn your phone off at GP/hospital anyway.

I would be annoyed too OP and remind work to contact me by mobile please.

purplemunkey Tue 25-Nov-14 13:08:30

Also, as you're on mat leave you shouldn't be at their beck and call anyway. Anything they are calling about must be able to wait, so if they go through to voicemail while your phone is on silent so be it. You can deal with it when you're ready.

CheeseEqualsHappiness Tue 25-Nov-14 13:10:46

Adsy, your response is shocking! They asked her which she preferred, she stated, now they're ignoring her wishes

They ABU

Bair Tue 25-Nov-14 13:11:24

Who pissed on your chips Adsy?

"Does it really matter, anyway???"

Ctrl C
Then
Ctrl V

Will allow you to post that into most threads on Mumsnet.

(also Caps Lock stops it looking like you're screaming at people)

I'm sure OP will be off curing all sorts of diseases, feeding the hungry and creating world peace soon enough. But until then, this does matter, to her, hence her posting.

Maybe a word with HR, Mosh?

adsy Tue 25-Nov-14 13:15:40

I'm just intrigued as to why it really matters? maybe other people lead a much more charmed life thsn me and have the emotional energy to get worked up about such things . hey ho.

Bair Tue 25-Nov-14 13:23:00

Well given you've had the energy to post on this thread three times compared to the OP's two posts says to me you've got more spare emotional energy for such things than Mosh does.

You must have such a charmed like Adsy.

ispentitwithyou Tue 25-Nov-14 13:38:39

Agree with adsy

moshwuckler Tue 25-Nov-14 13:40:37

Thanks for all responses, just wondering what the dpa is? They have definitely only got the number off the in case of emergency sheet.

moshwuckler Tue 25-Nov-14 13:43:01

Sorry i should clarify, it matters because if the call is urgent, I might not get the message due to unreliable land line. Secondly I do feel the line I have personally drawn to protect home life and privacy has been overstepped and I don't much like it.

ftmsoon Tue 25-Nov-14 13:46:33

DPA is Data Protection Act. They are only allowed to use data for the reason it was collected, ie in an emergency. As you are on Mat Leave they should not be contacting you, period. Or they should be paying you for KIT days, which I don't think you can do till after the birth!

paxtecum Tue 25-Nov-14 13:47:41

OP: Can you ring them and ask them not to use your landline?

MrsSquirrel Tue 25-Nov-14 13:47:51

DPA is the Data Protection Act. One of the things it says is that when an organisation holds personal information they must tell you what they are collecting the information for and then only use it for the stated purpose.

If you gave the number as an emergency contact only and they are using it for non-emergency contact, they are in breach of the Act.

StillSquirrelling Tue 25-Nov-14 13:50:37

I feel that your work are BU - you have stated that home phone is for emergencies only. It's not an emergency, it's work. They shouldn't be calling you about work in the first place, as you are on mat leave.

If you don't happen to have caller ID (we don't) then if someone calls you on your landline, you're going to answer it as you don't know who it is. On your mobile you are able to see and can ignore it if you want.

So if work calls you and you answer because you don't know it's them, you aren't going to be able to ignore them and it's uncomfortable telling someone that you're not going to take a work-related call as you are on leave. I would suggest that you contact HR/your boss and tell them that you want your home number deleted off your records so that only your mobile number is called. Perhaps also remind them that you are on leave.

MrsSquirrel Tue 25-Nov-14 13:53:49

Cross posts with ftm.

Have you told anyone you don't want them calling on the landline? IIWY I would be telling them not to call at all. Or at least not to call unless it is to congratulate you on the birth of your child.

MrsSquirrel Tue 25-Nov-14 13:55:20

<Enjoys sharing the thread with StillSquirrelling>

Icimoi Tue 25-Nov-14 14:01:35

I suspect you'll find that you didn't give that number for emergencies only -there will be something in the small print that says they are entitled to use it for other purposes.

Fallingovercliffs Tue 25-Nov-14 14:07:45

Are your HR dept giving out your landline number to colleagues? That is definitely a breach of data protection. If they really want to ask you something about work (and they should only do so if it's really necessary) they should text you with a brief sentence about the issue and ask if it's convenient to ring you.

Chunderella Tue 25-Nov-14 14:15:41

No yanbu. You asked them to use the mobile so they should do that. There's no argument, literally none whatsoever, that it's more considerate to use the landline instead. Quite apart from anything else, you are presumably heavily pregnant and resting. Use of a landline may mean you have to get up, use of a mobile makes this less likely.

Bramshott Tue 25-Nov-14 14:23:33

Have you reminded them that you would prefer they used the mobile (for all the reasons you've stated here). They probably think they are being considerate by calling you somewhere where you can pick up the message at your convenience rather than hassling you on the move.

But if you have reminded them and they're still doing it, then YANBU.

Fallingovercliffs Tue 25-Nov-14 14:24:16

Oh and Adsy, I hope you never get a job in a HR department if that is your attitude to private information supplied by staff.
There can be lots of reasons - personal, family, security etc - why a staff member might not want their landline number being handed out to all and sundry. It is not up to the person holding that information to decide whether it 'matters' or not to give out the number to other people, or use it for a purpose other than the one stated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now