Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed off with dp

(22 Posts)
Letthemtalk Mon 24-Nov-14 19:13:15

Right, I hate cold callers. If I want work done I'll arrange it. Today I'm upstairs and dp answers the door. We've now got double glazing folk coming tomorrow night to give us a quote. The house is a tip, we're both working u till 5.30, they're coming at 6. We have 2 DC to feed and get to bed. Now, true 2 windows are a bit draughty, but we don't have the £ to replace them just now. What sort of arse is he?????

overthemill Mon 24-Nov-14 19:14:44

Phone them and cancel or at least rearrange for when it is convenient. And ask people you know for recommendations if good firms. Double glazing is expensive!

NaiceNickname Mon 24-Nov-14 19:15:56

Just call them and cancel, you'll rearrange when it's more convenient. You haven't signed a contract, they don't have to come back out...

Letthemtalk Mon 24-Nov-14 19:16:21

Cancelling would have been an option if dp even knew which company they were from...

Thebodynowchillingsothere Mon 24-Nov-14 19:17:34

Yep rearrange and tell dh he's not allowed to answer the door by himself again.

Letthemtalk Mon 24-Nov-14 19:17:37

He thinks iabu, that it will be handy to know how much it is. He doesn't seem to think they'll be here for long.... hmm

ChimesAndCarols Mon 24-Nov-14 19:20:23

You just feed and bath the children and put them to bed..........because judging by double glazing salesmen's form they won't want to talk to YOU, only your DH grin

Emstheword Mon 24-Nov-14 19:23:50

YANBU!

AnnieLobeseder Mon 24-Nov-14 19:26:44

YANBU but make it all your DP's problem. Who cares if the house is a tip, you don't know them from Adam. Just get on with your usual evening routine and leave him to it.

Calloh Mon 24-Nov-14 19:31:31

YANBU at all, in the slightest

I like thebody's suggestion grin

5Foot5 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:37:12

He thinks iabu, that it will be handy to know how much it is.

Oh I can predict how this is going to go.

The salesman will measure the windows and will then show you some samples. There will then be a spiel about how much it normally costs and when you look vaguely aghast he will explain there are deals available. For example, if they can get two people in the same area on the same day then it cuts costs. He will mention another figure and when you still blanch he will make a phone call and, amazingly discover there is a chance to get the job done for much less than he originally quoted but you will have to sign up to get it done before the end of the month.....

Can you tell we have been there too. DH recognized the tactic as a well-known ploy he had read about.

If they are cold calling then I would be suspicious

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 24-Nov-14 19:40:45

Answer the door to them tomorrow and say "sorry I have no idea what you are talking about, no one apart from me and my children live here you must have the wrong address"

Or "sorry I'm just babysitting the people who live here are out all evening"

ThePinkOcelot Mon 24-Nov-14 19:40:55

When they come, tell them that you want a price and that is it! When we had a company out (a well known company), we literally couldn't get rid of them.

CrohnicallyAnxious Mon 24-Nov-14 19:41:23

5foot5 Don't forget they will keep ringing you up and lowering the price until amazingly they are almost as cheap as the local firm that quoted you a decent price first off (so you accepted the quote and got the work done while the cold-calling firm are still trying to charge you double).

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 24-Nov-14 19:43:01

We fell for this type of cold call 10 years ago, the guy stayed for over four hours DH literally had to chase him out of the house. Starting quote was £32,000 for a three bed terraced which miraculously dropped to £12,000 hmm

Nanny0gg Mon 24-Nov-14 19:43:40

Put the children to bed and then sit upstairs and Mumsnet read a book.

And let your DH deal with them.

Leeds2 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:45:15

Let your OH deal with them, but make sure he knows he CANNOT sign up to anything, without having discussed it with you when they have gone.

PfftTheMagicDraco Mon 24-Nov-14 19:50:06

They can quote for windows from outside the house. Tell them to post the quote through the letterbox when they are done.

PowderMum Mon 24-Nov-14 19:56:22

I treat my DH as a grown up and stakeholder in our house, if he wants a tradesperson to come round when he is in to quote for some work that needs doing then he can. He certainly doesn't need to seek my permission.
YABU

LisaMed Mon 24-Nov-14 20:00:09

We had this a few years back. I remember the rep asked what we did. When we told him that DH was in professional sales and that at the time I was working as a Legal Secretary you could literally see him mentally editing his script. And it is a script.

Tell DH to google 'Kirby Vacuum Cleaners' and see if he spots any of the same tactics in the intro - and don't let them in, seriously. You do not owe them anything, you are not responsible and they are far worse than vampires, do not allow them across the threshold.

Letthemtalk Mon 24-Nov-14 20:01:56

I know the tricks, do does dp, we've n been through it before. I've told him he's not allowed to answer the door again.

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Mon 24-Nov-14 20:22:15

Get a local tradesman to quote not one of these companies. Dh got all 6 windows manufaxtured for my house for £1600. 2.5 days to fit just himself with me giving the odd lift. Next door got ripped of to the tune of £15000 for the same windows. Even adding in a labourers wages you're still looking at a ten grand saving! Dh is a carpenter to trade, I'm not suggesting its a diy project but these companies are adding thousands onto jobs an independent trades would do for a fraction.

They've got advertising, offices, vans and sales teams to pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now