Talk

Advanced search

To think in going about this all wrong...

(7 Posts)
Flingingmelon Mon 24-Nov-14 18:55:21

DS is 16mo. He's turning into a major food thrower and it's been going on for about five months.

He occasionally sits in his highchair up at the table, spooning his food Ito his mouth and eating along perfectly happily with the rest of us. But usually he writhes about in his chair, throws food, plays with it and generally turns into a bit of a monster.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation to the behaviour, I try and keep times around when he eats at nursery, vary the food but keep plenty if his favourites in the meal too, the advice the HV gave me.

When he throws I take the food off him, give him a bit of a time out (maybe thirty seconds) and we try again. If he keeps it up we end the meal or if he's eaten almost nothing I'll give him a banana (favourite.) Am I being too wishy washy? Am I expecting too much?

Other than eating he's a pretty chilled, good tempered little boy.

OraProNobis Mon 24-Nov-14 18:58:16

Sounds to me rather like you're rewarding his bad behaviour - and in my book food throwing IS bad behaviour. He's learned that if he chucks his food about a bit, throws a bit of a fit, sits back and waits 30 seconds and Hey Presto! A banana appears. Who wouldn't do that if they could get away with it!

GirlsWhoWearGlasses Mon 24-Nov-14 19:04:22

Different things work for different people, but I wouldn't be giving him his favourite food after he messed around and didn't eat his meal. I would see that as rewarding bad behaviour.

Kids have such short gaps between most meals. I'd have no problem taking it away and ending dinner.

Saying that, you could try v small portions then giving more if it's eaten.

It's a minefield. Sympathy and good luck. smile

QTPie Mon 24-Nov-14 19:11:51

Agreed with the two previous posters... If I was given a chocolate (don't like bananas) every time I threw my dinner, I would ALWAYS be throwing my dinner too (and I am 40...)

HerrenaHarridan Mon 24-Nov-14 19:24:59

I do what girls suggests.

All children up to about 6 get given a taste of all the option ie today a quarter piece of toast, a cube of cheese, a cherry tomato, a slice of ham, a piece of mushroom.

If they finish any of the above I will offer more and give them a more reasonable portion. If they finish that etc

Food thrown on the floor does not get replaced.

Flingingmelon Mon 24-Nov-14 20:00:35

Thought you might say that. Just para at the thought that he's not eating even though he is hungry.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 24-Nov-14 20:17:13

Understandably.

I order to allay my own concerns about this should dd say she is hungry after dinner I will offer her more of whatever was for dinner. At bed time she will get the option of milk.

I try to be both really accommodating and absolutely hard line ie I try to offer dinner with choices so I know there will be something she likes but once dinner is in the table there are no other choices. If she's not hungry at dinner time she doesn't have to eat it but it will remain available for when she is
Milk at bedtime puts my mind at rest that if she has eaten very little she can fill her probably not very hungry tummy.

Don't forget that although they can sometimes eat practically their own body weight they can comfortably go for a few days with very little and should be allowed to regulate their own appetite this way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now