Talk

Advanced search

to retrain in a career that's more sustainable as a 60-something?

(4 Posts)
LapsedTwentysomething Mon 24-Nov-14 14:55:57

Not a moan about teaching specifically, but I work in a tough school in a core subject with lots of marking, and I don't see it as something I can sustain until I'm 70 or thereabouts. Apart from the daily pace of the work, there's huge pressure to meet mid and long term targets, and continual monitoring. Behaviour is challenging and while now I can just about control the toughest classes, I can't imagine having the energy to do it for very much longer.

Changing jobs is a possibility in the medium term but I'm top of the scale and will struggle to find anything without moving into management, which isn't for me. Also the pressures of accountability and scrutiny will be much the same wherever I go.

I'm 37 now so have many working years ahead of me. A desk job is calling to me. It needs to be something I can do fairly rurally an I don't have any crafty or making skills, so I'm thinking of doing an AAT course with a view to working in accounts or business more generally, in some capacity.

AIBU to think this isn't going to be an issue just for me and the teaching profession? Healthcare, law - there are so many careers that really aren't sustainable for workers in their 60s I think.

YellowYoYoYam Mon 24-Nov-14 15:18:02

YANBU

I knew as soon as I saw the title this would be about teaching. I have no idea how I will sustain the energy and enthusiasm to do my job into my mid sixties. I mean do it well, to the standard my pupils deserve.

And you're right, there must be other professions where the demands of the job will simply be too much as one gets older.

I'm kind of hoping that I will be in a financial position to go for early retirement.

LapsedTwentysomething Mon 24-Nov-14 16:03:19

I won't be! And if I'm honest I'm also thinking of sustainability beyond the next five years!

Mrscaindingle Mon 24-Nov-14 16:07:58

I'm in a similar position as a mental health nurse in my 40's. Really can't see me doing this until I'm 65 and no chance of early retirement at 55 as previously enjoyed by the nurses who came before me.

Due to career breaks to have kids and working part time for a number of years my pension's not going to be all it could be either.

Hoping to get inspired smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now