Talk

Advanced search

To prefer having meals out on my own

(24 Posts)
IsChippyMintonExDirectory Mon 24-Nov-14 14:35:54

Just had lunch in my own in a restaurant and it was heavenly. Not just the food but the fact that I could browse on mumsnet reflect on my thoughts. I do prefer it to meeting a friend for lunch. I'm not usually an unsociable grump but I really cherish my own company.

LadyLuck10 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:38:52

I also enjoy the odd meal out on my own, but if I would choose this everytime over meeting people then I think it weird.

TheHoundsBitch Mon 24-Nov-14 14:40:16

I wouldn't say I prefer it, but I do bloody love it!
I do miss the old days before DH and DS when I had money and time to go into town and shop and go for a lovely lunch on my own, don't miss the weird pity looks I sometimes got for eating alone though!

Lulabellarama Mon 24-Nov-14 14:42:25

I prefer doing most things on my own, I'm increasingly antisocial. But I think eating out is always a nice thing to have company for.
Love a solo trip to the cinema/walk/shopping trip etc.

TillHammerZeit Mon 24-Nov-14 15:00:18

I'll admit to being an unsociable grumpy sod,though there are a few people I really enjoy eating out with,but I do also love dining alone. It means that I can eat where I want,as like to try unusual restaurants.

I can order seafood or game without anyone saying 'You can't have that,because I want to share'. Well I don't bloody want to share. I want to eat something I enjoy,so I'm having the squid.

And I can enjoy a starter because if we're eating out as a group then the pudding people usually decide for everyone that we're skipping starters,and just having mains and pudding.angry

Sitting in a relatively quiet restaurant while enjoying seafood,and reading a good book,is my idea of heaven.

Icantwaituntilxmas Mon 24-Nov-14 15:06:38

I prefer my own company but oddly enough I don't like dining out by myself as I would feel awkward. blush Can see the appeal though.

Icantwaituntilxmas Mon 24-Nov-14 15:07:12

So no, yanbu!

Ragwort Mon 24-Nov-14 15:08:46

I agree, I love eating out on my own, as others say, you can order what you want without anyone saying 'surely you can't eat all that' or 'just a bowl of soup for me' when you just want to pig out on a three course lunch. grin.

My pet hate is meeting a friend for lunch who then says, "I only want a light meal as I am going out again tonight" ........... as the meeting for lunch is usually my social highlight of the month week it always makes me feel a bit peeved grin.

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Mon 24-Nov-14 15:11:51

I love eating out on my own. Rarely do it as it seems a waste of money when I can go home and have a saline.

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Mon 24-Nov-14 15:12:24

*sarnie obvs I don't swap dinner for a drip at home!

WeirdCatLady Mon 24-Nov-14 15:16:47

I prefer to shop by myself, far more relaxing as I can do what I want, when I want. I do enjoy meeting a friend for coffee and a chat, it feels weird eating alone. But glad you had a lovely bit of "me" time.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Mon 24-Nov-14 15:33:00

I have never done but I reckon I would like it. Much prefer shopping by myself too. I love my own company.

ThereIsACarInTheKitchen Mon 24-Nov-14 15:49:45

I love doing things alone. I eat out alone, go shopping alone, go to the cinema alone. I love popping into Starbucks after a shopping trip and just sitting there and reflecting on my thoughts. I couldn't do this with other people.

hellsandwich Mon 24-Nov-14 15:52:41

oh that sounds wonderful Chippy. Can I come next time? <doesn't get it>

aftertherains Mon 24-Nov-14 15:57:22

Having a coffee alone - yes.

I'd find actually going to a restaurant and sitting alone a bit odd though.

Hatespiders Mon 24-Nov-14 15:58:13

I too love being on my own, and especially when having a meal out. I like to reflect and also watch other people. There are lots of things I enjoy doing alone. I adore my dh, and obviously we go out and do loads of things together, but I think it's important never to lose contact with yourself.
So YANBU!

TillHammerZeit Mon 24-Nov-14 16:01:07

What's so odd about going to a restaurant alone?

Hairtodaygonetomorrow Mon 24-Nov-14 16:01:17

Nope, even though I vaguely enjoy eating alone, I always wish my best friend or husband was there to enjoy it too. It's not very common (or I seem to be the only woman dining alone when I go out) and I don't find it very comfortable- in a cafe, or at breakfast in a hotel, yes, otherwise you are just surrounded by people enjoying themselves with others.

aftertherains Mon 24-Nov-14 16:14:52

I just find it really peculiar. I've never seen anyone in a restaurant alone, I don't think - it's just not something that tends to be done in my experience. I once went to a restaurant alone due to missing a connection when getting a train and it was a tiny little place and I was really hungry. I still cringe now when I think about it!

TillHammerZeit Mon 24-Nov-14 16:21:45

I've seen plenty of solo diners. It's far from unusual IME.

And why is it ok to eat alone in a cafe,but not in a restaurant?

vienna1981 Mon 24-Nov-14 18:41:53

Till
Probably because society generally associates restaurants with romantic candlelit dinners for two and haute cuisine. Cafes on the other hand are regarded as sarnie and brew territory
for the office and building site. Thereby lacking sophistication.

Now, back to my sociology degree...

siilk Mon 24-Nov-14 18:46:42

I adore eating solo. So restful plus I can quietly be anti social and there is no one to offend. My fav solo dine spot is a sushi bar or train. Much easier to be greedy solosmile

JesusInTheCabbageVan Mon 24-Nov-14 19:51:25

Don't like eating out alone... but I live for the rare occasions when I have to stay away on work and I can order room service and eat it in bed grin

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 24-Nov-14 21:10:14

Couldn't agree more, it's lovely. I do like to read though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now