Talk

Advanced search

That constant mastication is just disgusting?

(26 Posts)
beadybaby Mon 24-Nov-14 14:29:14

I have been sitting in a waiting room for the last hour. The two people to left and right of me have been eating sweets and chewing gum respectively and constantly since I sat down.

I am about to do my nut. (Being 5 days over my due date is probably not helpingsmile ) The waiting room is too full for me to move and I am not up to standing for what will probably be another hours wait.

Seriously it's bloody disgusting. Aibu to give them each a series of increasingly murderous looks until they STOP FUCKING CHEWING!!!

JennyOnTheBlocks Mon 24-Nov-14 14:32:47

yanbu

no way, no how

gum is the devil's work

Thebodynowchillingsothere Mon 24-Nov-14 14:33:58

Agree my teen dds do this and it drives me nuts.

You know being so very upduffed you could probably slap the pair of them and get Let off due to hormones. grin

Rinkydinkypink Mon 24-Nov-14 14:34:26

Completely agree! Chewing all the time is just nasty.

ApologibobsCouldNotResist Mon 24-Nov-14 14:36:44

i hate hate HATE chewing gum - watching Alex Ferguson munching away while watching a game..... ew ew ew YANNNNNNBU

KatieKatie1980 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:36:58

Hehe, eating noises drive me insane! I sympathise.

How about getting some gum from the vending machine and seeing who can be the loudest? wink

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 24-Nov-14 14:44:58

YANBU. Watching or listening to people chew gum makes me feel sick.

beadybaby Mon 24-Nov-14 14:47:00

I won't win a 'whose the loudest' contest as the gum chewer also has a badly blocked nose.angry

beadybaby Mon 24-Nov-14 14:47:31

argh

who's not whose...

chemenger Mon 24-Nov-14 14:47:43

Another chewing gum hater here - cows chew the cud, it isn't a good look for humans.

JeanneDeMontbaston Mon 24-Nov-14 14:47:47

YANBU. Drives me bonkers. I stopped my lecture this morning to ask a lad to stop chewing gum (they're not meant to eat in class anyway!) and he carried on doing it behind his hand. hmm

It was really getting to me - constant cow-like movement and those nasty little sucking sounds. Bleugh.

Trooperslane Mon 24-Nov-14 14:49:50

I have that hatred of noise thing that I only found the name of on mumsnet

YAnbu. I have threatened divorce for smaller things and not been a million weeks pregnant.

I refuse to have gum in the house and as pp said SER ALEX - can't watch him at all.

Trooperslane Mon 24-Nov-14 14:50:08

Remembered. Misophonia.

grocklebox Mon 24-Nov-14 14:53:13

It's vile. Seems like the whole world is constantly chewing, like cows in the field chomping on grass. Makes me feel sick the way people go around with their gobs hanging open showing off their gum going around and around, and thats without the noises....<shudder>

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Mon 24-Nov-14 14:55:55

I know someone who chews gum almost constantly as radiotherapy has affected their ability to produce much saliva. So yab fucking u.

Thebodynowchillingsothere Mon 24-Nov-14 14:58:37

Although I was sat with my elderly parents yesterday. They were eating soup and when I say eating I mean slurping and sucking.

Hate hate people making noises while chewing/eating.

HaroldsBishop Mon 24-Nov-14 14:58:52

Yes this is a annoying. I share an office with someone who is terrible for this. It sounds like they are fellating a horse every time they eat.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Mon 24-Nov-14 15:06:28

It sounds like they are fellating a horse every time they eat.

What a wonderfully striking image!

mypoosmellsofroses Mon 24-Nov-14 15:11:03

I have to leave the room when DS eats cereal, just nasty nasty noise. Worse now as I will have the phrase "sounds like fellating a horse" popping into my head!
YANBU, hope the wait isn't too much longer.

bodhranbae Mon 24-Nov-14 15:30:08

mymummademelistentoshitmusic

Yes that happened to me too after radiotherapy.
Plus the cancer meds I have to take make my mouth painfully dry so I have to chew gum.
Thankfully one of the upsides of cancer is not giving a shit what other people think. grin

OP - sympathies. DS was 15 days overdue. EVERYTHING drove me mad.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 24-Nov-14 15:50:28

I commute every day and see it on the train all the time. Most of the time it's not even a meal on the hoof, it's crisps, sweets, popcorn, any old crap just shoved mechanically into mouths in a steady stream. Guzzle, guzzle, guzzle - gross.

WyldChyld Mon 24-Nov-14 16:23:56

OP - you do have my sympathies. However, as pp, I wanted to bring another side to the argument in that I'm waiting to have 3 wisdom teeth removed which are permanently infected. This means a) I'm paranoid about my breath, b) my mouth permanently tastes like something died in it and c) my dentist has advised me to chew gum after meals and drinks when I can't brush my teeth practically. So YANBU that people need to learn to chew discretely but YABU as sometimes, people have to chew gum.

MinesaBottle Mon 24-Nov-14 16:25:49

Queuing for the Natural History Museum at half term, the family in front of us had what must have been a bottomless rucksack of snacks - crisps, sandwiches, yogurt etc. For 45 minutes they were eating, eating, eating. We saw them again in the cafe about half an hour after getting in confused

Callani Mon 24-Nov-14 16:37:00

Some people have to chew gum, fair enough. But why do people have to chew gum (or any food really?) with their mouth open? Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now