Talk

Advanced search

to want a flippin toilet seat that doesn't skid about under me after it's been fitted for a few days?

(58 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 24-Nov-14 12:59:57

Grrrr! It's not as if I'm doing anything out of the ordinary on there, just the 'bog' standard manoeuvres, but it doesn't seem to matter where I purchase, or how much I pay, I always end up with a slidey seat! Please, if you can recommend one to me, I will be forever grateful, and secure in my toilet positioning! grin

Whippet81 Mon 24-Nov-14 13:02:20

Mine has been fitted about three weeks and had just some the same hmm

Whippet81 Mon 24-Nov-14 13:02:35

Has just done the same even.

meglet Mon 24-Nov-14 13:06:35

yanbu.

The only one I've had any luck with is a cheapy plastic toilet seat.

The worst was a soft close seat, it was shifting about after a few days.

Fingeronthebutton Mon 24-Nov-14 13:09:01

We'll tighten the screws ( underneath) up. It's not rocket science.

Birdiegirl Mon 24-Nov-14 13:09:19

Ours is the same, seems to always look off centre after you've been on it and I have to keep straightening it. A right old pain in the arse smile. We only paid £10 for ours so it's a cheap plastic one. I've wondered if we need to 'splash out' and buy a more expensive one? How much did yours cost OP?

NeedABumChangeNotANameChange Mon 24-Nov-14 13:10:12

I hate to ask but are you oversized blush? I have an friend who needed a reinforced seat.

Harriebabe Mon 24-Nov-14 13:11:16

Ooh, YADNBU! I could have written your post, and it's been the same for years! Worst ever was v. expensive soft close.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

Finger - it really isn't as simple as that, honestly!

Greenstone Mon 24-Nov-14 13:11:28

It happens here too. And I'm tiny.

AMumInScotland Mon 24-Nov-14 13:13:22

Are the fittings coming loose on the seat? Or are the bolts that attach it to the loo seat coming undone? We replaced our recently with a fairly cheap B&Q wooden one, and it doesn't move about.

Dumpylump Mon 24-Nov-14 13:13:35

I have found my people!
In spite of my name, I am, in fact, no more than average size, so I don't think it's that. I have taken many loo seats off to tighten up screws, and the problem always returns....

DidoTheDodo Mon 24-Nov-14 13:16:44

Rubbery washers are your friends!

(I may NC to "RubberyWashers". What do you think?)

meglet Mon 24-Nov-14 13:17:11

I am well under average size and can tighten them up 'til I'm blue in the face, but they always used to shift within a few days.

I think it's down to my toilet bowl shape. But as I've already said, the plastic one is currently working just fine.

animalmagic84 Mon 24-Nov-14 13:18:05

We had this issue at our house. It was not the toilet seat that was the problem, it was the holes that you connect the seat to on the toilet itself - they were not exactly straight on one side. So no matter what seat you bought, it would always start to slip - we had to just tighten it up every so often. The only solution is to get a new toilet itself, but it seems wasteful (and expensive). So we just have to live with it. YANBU - it is very annoying!

wigornian Mon 24-Nov-14 13:18:28

Ah, bane of our lives for years, a succession of far from cheap seats, slide within days - they you try to tighten up and they unscrew themselves - finally, we fitted this one in August, now a veritable joy to sit down:

www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/new-england-white-sit-tight-toilet-seat---antibacterial-284091

HTH!

dandycandyjellybean Mon 24-Nov-14 13:59:23

Phew! It's not just me then!
Needabum...I'm not exactly Twiggy, but I'm no fairy elephant either.
And we do tighten, repeatedly, it's just that I don't want to have to keep getting down and personal with my toilet seat screws every few days.
wigornian - thanks you will give it a whirl as soon as my credit card bill eases up a bit. Cheers.

southeastastra Mon 24-Nov-14 14:02:04

toilet seats are so crap these days, you need one that has a good connector, i've found the slow close lids have stronger connectors.

ChuckNovice Mon 24-Nov-14 14:03:36

This used to happen all the time but I've got an ikea one now which was about £17. Had it about a year and not needed to tighten it once.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Mon 24-Nov-14 14:14:12

There is one I just got from Argos, plastic soft close one for about £20 and it doesn't skid about as it is shaped to fit over the loo bowl slightly rather than perch on top, plus it came with a tool to tighten the screws so it's much easier to fit. Looks fugly but I don't care.

blanklook Mon 24-Nov-14 14:39:49

wig in the product details on the one you linked to it says
"No movement: Yes."

It was on the "sit tight" range, but not others. wondering now if that is a feature people need to look for these days to make sure a seat will stay put?

mrssnodge Mon 24-Nov-14 15:06:07

Ikea ones are the best- under a tenner!- basic , but the plastic screw underneath never rot or snap, they are strong and the seats last for ages without moving, slipping etc

wigornian Tue 09-Dec-14 22:28:49

Blackpool, it seems so - so pleased with ours!

DilysMoon Tue 09-Dec-14 23:24:10

I've got a soft close one from home bargain which is the only one I've had that doesn't slide, love it.

acrabadabra Tue 09-Dec-14 23:29:02

I posted a similar problem a while ago. After the first 20 odd comments being about me being "oversized" ffs I left it alone!

Thank you xxx
I knew it wasn't just me!

TortoiseInAShell Tue 09-Dec-14 23:31:40

I used a child and adult multi-seat in wood from Argos and it was nice and heavily solid. Unfortunately the wood perished and I replaced it with a soft close plastic thing that slides so I feel that I am falling off confused

I am SICK of it but now feel stuck. I want child lid, soft close and stay-put seat, surely this is not impossible?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now