Talk

Advanced search

to think manufacturers should make it absolutely clear on the packaging

(41 Posts)
NoCryingInEngineering Mon 24-Nov-14 11:09:00

If they have decided to make their products smell of Old People's Home Air Freshener?

DS1 is 20wks and my period decided to make it's return while we were away at the PiLs. So I nipped into Boots to grab some towels and tampons having not thought to pack any (too busy trying not to forget any random but vital baby items). Thought I had selected a standard pack and tucked my purchase in the bottom of the pram. Got suspicious when I retrieved them and the stink became obvious as I got to the bathroom to sort myself out. Sure enough in tiny writing on the front there is a 'deo fresh' logo.

Fortunately we are home now so the rest of the pack can go in the bin but AIBU to think they should make it clearer these now come with added pointless and foul stench? As the whole section of shop now stinks its not instantly clear when you pick the packet up

Elisheva Mon 24-Nov-14 11:19:36

YANBU I have changed brand, the new Always smell vile. I can't believe they think it's a good idea.

bodhranbae Mon 24-Nov-14 11:25:22

Putting ANY kind of deodorant into tampons/towels makes me fucking livid.

It all buys into that stupid archaic notion that women's genitals and bodily functions are dirty and smelly and need to be disguised.

makeitabetterplace Mon 24-Nov-14 11:30:36

Totally with you bod! It fills me with rage when a sanitary product advertises having a 'fresh odour' or implies in anyway that women are smelly and should be slightly paranoid at all times - e.g. Stupid panty liners for 'in between times' when you just need to feel 'fresh.' FFS. I use a mooncup and have done for years and I'm very thankful to be out of the 'sanitary' product marketplace.

Aside from that issue, perfumes next to your vulva are likely to cause an irritation and, sexually speaking, I don't want my partner to associate me with glade plug-in type fragrance - heaven knows where that could lead! wink

bodhranbae Mon 24-Nov-14 11:35:24

don't want my partner to associate me with glade plug-in type fragrance

grin

littledonkeysaurus Mon 24-Nov-14 11:38:20

Glade plug in grin

Thank heavens for my mooncup. Why would you want a daisy fresh fanjo? Surely a simple wash once or twice a day suffices? If it doesn't i think it's time to see a GP.

NoCryingInEngineering Mon 24-Nov-14 11:41:53

Heheh Glade plug in grin

NoCryingInEngineering Mon 24-Nov-14 11:51:20

Its bad enough going about in a constant stale milk haze (the baby is towards the vommy end of the scale) without an overlay of air freshener

SimoneAdriaan Mon 24-Nov-14 11:56:31

Yes! I bought a pack of Always night pads, the highest absorbency ones in the home of being able to get through the night without waking up to change the pad and they stink! They weren't sold as scented but they are, and on the side I found they apparently contain 'actipearls' to neutralise oder! and its bloody horrible! they all seem to be scented too and I hate it!

AMumInScotland Mon 24-Nov-14 11:59:35

YANBU. It's just another way to make us paranoid that we stink, because our genitals are disgusting and therefore have to be perfumed to make us acceptable in society.

tunaandcheesesandwich Mon 24-Nov-14 12:02:34

YANBU. My colleague at work uses these, and I know because the whole office smells of them now and then! I once bought them by mistake and they made all my clothes smell of it. I even had to put my jeans in the wash after each wear, because of the smell!

Morrigu Mon 24-Nov-14 12:03:41

Does it not say on the packaging though? Sure it might be marketed as 'fresh scent' (just why is this needed fs?) or whatever bollocks but it does say.

Only asking as I avoid those ones, I'm prone to thrush, think they're totally unnecessary so I do read the packaging and give the box a sniff a times grin

McFox Mon 24-Nov-14 12:09:41

It's revolting, I have no idea why anyone would want to stick artificial fragrances up there. Aside from the fact that it's perpetuating the idea that women are dirty, it's just disgusting.

kali110 Mon 24-Nov-14 12:19:16

They say it on the packet though?
I like them smile

HighwayDragon Mon 24-Nov-14 12:44:15

I like them too

DeWee Mon 24-Nov-14 14:14:51

I react to it. I get intensely itchy within about half an hour of wearing them. That means I have to play extra for their premium product. sad

NoCryingInEngineering Mon 24-Nov-14 14:51:25

It says so in tiny writing that my sleep deprived brain missed. It should be branded on there in a logo as obtrusive as the stink

MonstrousRatbag Mon 24-Nov-14 14:56:36

Allow me to recommend Lil-lets towels. Effective and unscented.

But of course Essence of Cheap Air Fresher is nicer and less offensive than smell of clean fange (said no man or woman ever).

mouselittle Mon 24-Nov-14 15:36:03

YANBU what annoys me is that you're told not to use scented products 'down there' but now every second sanitary product is scented.
maybe it's a conspiracy between the sanitary product manufacturers and the thrush treatment manufacturers to up their sales.

ChimesAndCarols Mon 24-Nov-14 17:03:10

Old People's Home Air Freshener shock

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Mon 24-Nov-14 17:09:02

I bought some the other day, I have a stinking cold so can't smell atm.

The bastard pads gave me thrush, costing me a small fortune for the tablet form of thrush treatment.

wanttosqueezeyou Mon 24-Nov-14 17:16:01

YANBU. I bought them by accident, just grabbed the usual brand. Only to find they carry the pervasive odour of cheap air freshener.

outtahell Mon 24-Nov-14 22:05:47

YANBU. I've accidentally bought them before and hated being able to smell that nasty fake scent on myself every time I move my legs - it's not like it smells like a nice perfume, it just smells of scented sanitary towel. It doesn't smell like something that should be squished up against such a delicate area in the first place.

sleepdodger Mon 24-Nov-14 22:19:00

Agreed; made me ahem uncomfortable itchy blush

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 24-Nov-14 22:40:53

Wow, either you lot have got sensitive noses or you're buying really smelly stuff. confused

I couldn't care less if they're scented or not. I'd rather smell of something vaguely flowery than the alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now