Talk

Advanced search

To never want anyone to champion Jack Monroe again?

(657 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SuperScrimper Mon 24-Nov-14 07:05:32

After what she has tweeted about David Cameron. here

Like him or loathe him to describe the way he talks about his deceased son as 'misty eyed' and used for political gain is disgusting.

The greatest loss any of us can imagine is the loss of a child. Shock horror, even politician have real feeling. It's just awful that she would say that about another parent.

I don't care what she can do with a bloody lentil. Something's are just too low.

SolomanDaisy Mon 24-Nov-14 07:08:51

I don't know what she said, but I have certainly seen DC use his son's memory for political gain. Once someone does that, they open themselves up to criticism for it.

selsigfach Mon 24-Nov-14 07:09:11

Yanbu. Her comment was absolutely vile. Disgusting, shameless woman.

chilephilly Mon 24-Nov-14 07:10:35

I retweeted her tweet. As did many others. Because we agree.
Losing a child is devastating. Using that loss for political gain is disgusting.

treaclesoda Mon 24-Nov-14 07:13:33

I can't read that link so not sure exactly what she said.

Can't believe I'm actually going to defend David Cameron but...although I may not agree with his politics, I'm sure he loves his deceased son as much as any other parent. He can't win really with this one. Talk about the memory of his son = using him for political gain. Not talk about the memory of his son = not honouring his memory.

SuperScrimper Mon 24-Nov-14 07:13:41

You really think DC would stoop to those levels?

I, honestly, think that is just about the most awful thing you can say about a parent.

Basically you are implying his loss meant so little to him, that he felt able to use his sons memory to try and win some votes?

Can you imagine how hurtful that is? Can you imagine what Samantha Cameron must feel, hearing people suggest her husband, the Father or her dead child cares that little about him?

treaclesoda Mon 24-Nov-14 07:16:24

When I say I can't read the link, I meant the link wouldn't open, not that I was suddenly unable to read, just to be clear.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 24-Nov-14 07:18:03

I think he would stoop that low, yes.

Particularly given how he has been treating disabled people in the UK generally speaking.

pictish Mon 24-Nov-14 07:19:39

You really think DC would stoop to those levels?

Yes.

GinAndSonic Mon 24-Nov-14 07:21:14

I love Jack, and frankly, shes not wrong. He uses his families loss to shut down debate. Thats some bullshit and his sons memory ought to be worth more. If he was my husband id rip his balls off for using the death of ny child as a politial tool.

effinandjeffin Mon 24-Nov-14 07:21:43

I agree OP. I think what she said was disgusting. If she feels that strongly about it, maybe she can stop mentioning her son when it comes to selling her books.

Alchemist Mon 24-Nov-14 07:23:26

Yes, Mr Cameron would stoop.

rootypig Mon 24-Nov-14 07:23:30

The tweet was: "Because he uses stories about his dead son as misty-eyed rhetoric to legitimise selling our NHS to his friends: #CameronMustGo"

Cameron has specifically invoked the memory of his son when talking about his politics and policies, as opposed to a personal capacity. So I agree that in principle, he opens himself up to criticism. Criticism that he well deserves, for refusing to tell us exactly what is happening in the NHS.

That said, I would never tweet it myself, I think there's plenty to say without trampling the memory of a dead child. On either side.

bananapickle84 Mon 24-Nov-14 07:23:43

I don't know what the tweet said but in DCs first campaign I remember him clearly talking about his dead son and saying how he wouldn't remove funding etc from the NHS and how wonderful it was.
Not only did he use his son then but he is now using the same stories to throw the NHS away.
I honestly despair.

treaclesoda Mon 24-Nov-14 07:23:54

I think it's definitely true that David Cameron's experience of having a disabled child was very different to the 'average' person's experience. He is never going to have known poverty for example, whereas many many disabled people, or parents of disabled people, are powerless to provide for themselves, yet facing constant cutbacks in support available to them. So when he says he knows what it's like, he is quite simply not telling the truth.

HamishBamish Mon 24-Nov-14 07:26:49

Although I do think there was some truth in the comment, I think she was ill advised to say it. It will turn people against her and damage the good she has already done.

Icimoi Mon 24-Nov-14 07:27:50

Link wouldn't open for me. However, she is absolutely right, he does use his son's loss for political gain. I was utterly disgusted when he brought him up at the Conservative Party conference as the basis for an emotive statement that he would never, never downgrade health services for children - when he must know perfectly well that he has. At the relevant time I was dealing with a child who had deteriorated into a near-catatonic state because of the total lack of anything approaching adequate mental health services for children.

Obviously what happened to Cameron's son was dreadful, and I very much doubt that Jack Monroe denies that. But if you use your child's death politically, you can't expect to have a free pass on it.

pictish Mon 24-Nov-14 07:28:06

OP - have you never come across someone who has used personal tragedy as a means of emotionally blackmailing others into backing off/aquiescing/shutting up/getting their own way?

whattheseithakasmean Mon 24-Nov-14 07:29:14

That is a revolting tweet. If she believes that on DC (I'm not sure) then that tweet takes her right down to his level 'stories about his dead son as misty-eyed rhetoric' - that is vile. His son was a human being deserving of dignity and respect, not to be a tool in her tweet war.

She sounds shallow at best.

Arlagirl Mon 24-Nov-14 07:29:20

Can't stand the woman.
What a bitch.

pictish Mon 24-Nov-14 07:29:36

Even on a small scale?
I know I have.

Icimoi Mon 24-Nov-14 07:32:43

I don't understand why anyone suggests that is in any way disrespectful to Cameron's son: clearly it isn't. Saying that he uses misty-eyed rhetoric about him describes Cameron, not his son, and is absolutely true. If anyone is being disrespectful, it is Cameron.

Bluestocking Mon 24-Nov-14 07:33:01

DC is utterly unprincipled about using his son's death to close down debate, most recently about Lord Freud's remark about disabled people not being worth the minimum wage.
I'm perfectly sure he was absolutely devastated by the loss of his son, but this hasn't stopped him from using it for his party's and his own political benefit.

Can't stand the woman anyway, I had the misfortune of meeting her once...she is so up her own bloody arse

but that tweet is disgusting. ..my opinion of her is even lower now

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 24-Nov-14 07:36:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now