Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is this pricey?

(13 Posts)
Discopanda Sun 23-Nov-14 23:48:07

Brother, sister and I all have children and thought it would be a nice idea to get a group pic of all of them for our nan for Christmas. Brother booked the photographer as he and his wife had a voucher so the shoot plus a 9x6 pic was just £20, but all other photos are £90-£120, they're not even canvasses! To be fair to the photographer, she does have to photoshop lots of the shots together to make a group shot because getting 3 toddlers and 2 young kids to stay still and look the same way is nigh on impossible so she does have to do retouching work, but that still seems very pricey to me!

LaurieFairyCake Sun 23-Nov-14 23:49:41

Very expensive and totally normal

Can you just buy the £20 one?

Discopanda Sun 23-Nov-14 23:51:17

We're viewinfg the pics in a couple of weeks so possibly if there's only one that everyone likes

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 23-Nov-14 23:53:11

You didn't go to Venture did you?

Discopanda Sun 23-Nov-14 23:55:26

No, are they really expensive?

IsChippyMintonExDirectory Sun 23-Nov-14 23:55:42

Typical costs for photographs. But worth it IMO because of the painstaking process of finishing to make the pictures look perfect

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 23-Nov-14 23:56:05

Very!

MrsDarylDixon Mon 24-Nov-14 00:00:16

Holy mincepies do people really pay that kind of money? !

Summerisle1 Mon 24-Nov-14 00:04:00

From the perspective of a photographer (which I am) never underestimate the cost of extensive editing. For all that £90-120 for a picture is very expensive. I'd also say that these voucher deals are rarely what they seem either and always cost a packet if you want more than the standard little 9 x 6 picture. That's how they make their money. Oh, and be prepared for some seriously hard selling when you go and view the pictures too.

Discopanda Mon 24-Nov-14 00:07:28

The annoying thing is I know someone who is a photographer and she gives you a CD with 10 retouched images for £20 so you can then just use Boots or Photobox or whatever to get however many prints you want

Summerisle1 Mon 24-Nov-14 00:09:59

Hmmm...that actually sounds ridiculously cheap though! What's the quality of her work like and is she actually a photographer or a keen amateur who does photography on the side? Only I can't actually see how she can make any sort of living by charging so little.

Thumbwitch Mon 24-Nov-14 00:10:13

Yes, it is about the normal price for studio photos, I think.

The viewing is a bit of a nightmare - because there will be some fantastic photos in there that you will think "oh, that's so lovely, I really should get that one, we'll never do this again so why not?" Or at least that's what happened to DH and I...

Thumbwitch Mon 24-Nov-14 00:10:31

Or even "DH and me..." <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now