Advanced search

To go to a&e

(97 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sun 23-Nov-14 13:21:01

I would feel really silly doing so as it's neither an accident or emergency but I'm really struggling and DP is at least home today and so has the DC. I have been to the gp a few days ago and they are doing tests but it's getting worse.

I basically keep feeling very breathless and faint. My arms and legs are going tingly and numb and I am alternating between sweating hot and shivering. I do have some sort of cold at the mo but the fainting and breathlessness are things I've had before and are just very bad at the moment. I keep thinking I'll drop tge baby and find it very hard to climb the stairs or just stand up really so taking care of a toodler and baby who are both sick is really tricky. What would you do? Would I be seen as wasting their time as I am having tests at the docs? They won't be back for 2 weeks though and thry are the same as ones I have had before which have shown nothing.

lljkk Sun 23-Nov-14 13:23:52

What do you think A+E can do for you?
A+E can't do care for chronic conditions, sounds like you have a chronic condition. That's what GPs & ordinary hospital care is for.
If you feel you're truly struggling for breath then going to A+E to get oxygen would make sense. Or if you are struggling to maintain consciousness.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 23-Nov-14 13:23:54

Maybe you think its not an accident or an emergency but you are clealry unwell so getting medical attention of course isnt being unreasonable

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 23-Nov-14 13:24:20


lljkk Sun 23-Nov-14 13:24:55

What happens if you call your doctor's surgery, OP, do they have an out-of-hours service? most have something like that.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 23-Nov-14 13:25:17

Its not chronic if its come on over the past few days

magpiegin Sun 23-Nov-14 13:26:47

I would call out of hours and get their advice.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sun 23-Nov-14 13:27:28

Would out of hour doctors be a better option.

Bunbaker Sun 23-Nov-14 13:28:21

Another vote for calling out of hours or 111.

DertieBertie Sun 23-Nov-14 13:29:53

If you can't breathe or get one-sided weakness, get to ED. Otherwise, see your GP tomorrow.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 23-Nov-14 13:30:09

I don't know what they can do for me but I assume do tests and look at results then and there....e.g. a chest xray was one gp did but I won't know results until 2 weeks time, same with bloods. I am struggling for breath if I'm upright and as DP is here he is doing most of the care for DC which won't happen next week. I have to lie down to stop myself fainting which is obviously not practical

Coconutty Sun 23-Nov-14 13:31:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 23-Nov-14 13:31:41

It's both sides weakness not one side...does that make a difference? Would out of hours not be the same as gp?

confusedandemployed Sun 23-Nov-14 13:32:18

Call out of hours and take their advice about going in.
And ring your GP tomorrow to get clarification about the test results. I'm a practice manager and our blood results are usually back within 2-3 days.

lljkk Sun 23-Nov-14 13:37:25

How long was OP ill for before seeing GP "a few" days ago. Considering BBC thinks that "a few" = 38, I don't know what OP meant by a few.

Yes out of hours is a type of GP, they will start with same examination you'd start with in A+E. If GP sees you are wheezing for breath or that you tick boxes for things like a stroke, they will send you to A+E and you may be fast-tracked to immediate admission (happened to me).

Up to you, I guess. I'd go to great lengths to avoid waiting around for hours in A+E to be sent home with only advice. A+E can check how much oxygen is in your blood, is one thing GP can't do. GP can check your temp (A+E would do), observe if you are slurring words or wheezing.

Rather sounds like virus & you should be in bed. But up to you, I may have wrong impression.

lljkk Sun 23-Nov-14 13:39:14

ps: has anyone taken your temp? I went into hospital with temp of 41, that was fun (Not). Which gave me shivers & chills & so on. Have you taken paracetomol?

riverboat1 Sun 23-Nov-14 13:40:11

Are you diabetic?

Theorientcalf Sun 23-Nov-14 13:40:55

It doesn't take two weeks to get blood results back, I don't even know why GPs say this.

naturalbaby Sun 23-Nov-14 13:42:12

Phone nhs direct and try and get an out of hours appointment.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 23-Nov-14 13:46:39

I'm not wheezy or having a stroke. Left arm is number than right but both feel numb...just climbed stairs slowly and have to sit down and out of breath...I am in my 20's so I doubt this is normal. Like I said I have always suffered with this type if thing but never this bad for this long. Gp was a few days ago but it had been going on for about a week or so at that point I would guess this episode has been for aboit 2 weeks

Bunbaker Sun 23-Nov-14 13:49:46

Sp stop procrastinating and contact out of hours or 111.


Bunbaker Sun 23-Nov-14 13:50:07

That was meant to say "so"

Mulderandskully Sun 23-Nov-14 13:50:15

I agree it sounds like you need to be in bed. The GP likely would've sent you for emergency treatment if needed. I think you'll be more exhausted and ill going out to A&E and you won't get anything out of it.

Mariposa10 Sun 23-Nov-14 13:50:15

Are you feeling faint or are you actually fainting? Have you ever suffered from anxiety before? Could it be a panic attack?

MoreSnowPlease Sun 23-Nov-14 13:54:29

I am preventing myself from fainting by lying down when I feel faint, I have fainted many times before and know what it's like and how to stop it. Not really looking for a diagnosis here but would a&e be able to find out what's wrong or would ooh? Or would they be the same as gp?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now